Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suspended Timber Floor Insulation - Materials/Product Choices?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

And the pipes are notched into the 4’’ timbers? ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

Yeah, will need to notch once at each end of joist, 20mm ��

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

Just need to be sure, if I used rigid insulation

Do I still need breathable membrane below and airtight above?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,700 ✭✭✭chooseusername

phobia2011 wrote: »
    Yeah, will need to notch once at each end of joist, 20mm ��
    You might be better off with the pipes on top of the joists,
    saves notching 4" joists

https://www.ufh.co.uk/system/oneboard

Will raise your floor about 1/2" though.

phobia2011 wrote: »
    Just need to be sure, if I used rigid insulation

Do I still need breathable membrane below and airtight above?

Yes that would be best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Am about to get insulation put under my 1960's suspended floor and have been reading this thread with interest. There's a 3 ft cavity underneath the floor so it's just about possible to get in and work from below without having to take up all the floorboards. Initially we were going to spray foam the underside but the foam cannot be got in Ireland and there's problems shipping it in from the UK.

Now looking at Kingspan 100mm insulation boards cut to fit between the joists, foam into any gaps and then the aluclad tape over that as recommended by Calahonda. Breathable membrane such as Solitex Plus under the Kingspan boards, fastened to the underside of the joists.

As I'm not lifting the floorboards I won't have the airtight, vapor control barrier above the Kingspan boards.

Any thoughts or advice on this? Not ideal I know but best that can be done in the circumstances.

One thing that I've been wondering about...what happens if water/drinks are spilled on the wooden floor and get on to the Kingspan boards? Evaporate over time?

air-tightness/vapour barrier taped & sealed, warm side of the insulation

Advertisement