Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best GigaBit broadband in Dublin

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

TestLink wrote: »
    For VirginMedia out of 240 Mbps I get 200 Mbps
    With Eir out of 1000Mbps I might get 800. That is Ok.

There are 4 ports at the back of the Huawei HN8250ts modem. Can I connect one or them to my personal wifi router wan port and one to the Eir router which I would be using for telephony? Would this setup work?

What if 200 mbps is the actual limit ?
    800mbps for VPN seems very unrealistically.
    As for the second question , it might work , I am not sure if anyone tried.
    I’ve modem with one Ethernet port only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,136 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Folks as was pointed out earlier in the thread you don’t need to use the providers hardware for ftth I’ve used my own ubiquiti router abs access points with eir , sky and Vodafone ftth now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭TestLink

alec76 wrote: »
    What if 200 mbps is the actual limit ?
    800mbps for VPN seems very unrealistically.
    As for the second question , it might work , I am not sure if anyone tried.
    I’ve modem with one Ethernet port only.

I can connect the devices which I want to protect to my personal wifi router with VPN enabled on it.

All other devices which doesnt need any protection could be connected to the eir router, so max speed could be obtained.

Do you have 1 Gbps fibre in your home? What speed do you get?

Also which modem are you using - make and model? Is this the modem that new eir customers get now?

Cyrus wrote: »
    Folks as was pointed out earlier in the thread you don’t need to use the providers hardware for ftth I’ve used my own ubiquiti router abs access points with eir , sky and Vodafone ftth now.

He wants to use Phone .
    He probably doesn’t want to be beyond double NAT too .
    And port forwarding for VOIP not a easy option too.

Cyrus wrote: »

I would like to use eir phone. It was mentioned earlier that in order for phone to work, it has connected to the eir router and not to eir modem. This is the reason I would need 2 routers to work in my home - Eir router just for the phone connection and my existing wifi router for internet connection for devices in my home.

• Advertisement

I can connect the devices which I want to protect to my personal wifi router with VPN enabled on it.

All other devices which doesnt need any protection could be connected to the eir router, so max speed could be obtained.

Do you have 1 Gbps fibre in your home? What speed do you get?

Also which modem are you using - make and model? Is this the modem that new eir customers get now?

I have 1 Gb fibre , speeds are vary , 800-950 downloads 95mbps upload most of the time for wired connection.
    ONT was installed more than year ago , Huawei , don’t have a model number at the moment.
    As for the Router I am using - it is ORBI RBK53 mesh system, bought over year ago.

If the above wont work can I use an Ethernet Splitter to split the connection - one to my wifi router and other to the eir router. See pic
    Seems like a bad idea.

Something like this might work , at worth case scenario you would have decent network switch you could use for something else.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-5-Port-Gigabit-Ethernet-Managed/dp/B07QF51CVQ/ref=sr_1_5?crid=39RUXPB5LHXP&dchild=1&keywords=netgear+managed+switch&qid=1603653058&sprefix=Netgear+mana%2Caps%2C133&sr=8-5

Seems like a bad idea.

Something like this might work , at worth case scenario you would have decent network switch you could use for something else.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-5-Port-Gigabit-Ethernet-Managed/dp/B07QF51CVQ/ref=sr_1_5?crid=39RUXPB5LHXP&dchild=1&keywords=netgear+managed+switch&qid=1603653058&sprefix=Netgear+mana%2Caps%2C133&sr=8-5

Does it have to be a managed switch? I have a spare Gigabit switch at home.

It is probably wouldn’t work anyways , sure you could try unmanaged .

Any one has any experience with Pure Telecom?

35 euro per month for 12 months.55 euro after that.

• Advertisement

There is 14 days cooling off period if you ordered broadband online or over the phone .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭dubrov

TestLink wrote:

An unmanaged switch will certainly work.

I can't think why anyone would need a managed switch for a home network

dubrov wrote: »

I could find a bunch of scenarios why anyone need it at home.
    For instance , some of the routers/mesh systems ( Google mesh or Eero mesh)doesn’t support VLAN tagging ( which you needed with OpenEir FTTH or SIRO FTTH)

Besides, my concerns wasn’t about managed or unmanaged switches , I am just not sure if ISP or OpenEir will allow you establish twin connection for single account.

So would the below setup work:
    A single ethernet cable from the Eir modem goes in to a Gigabit switch. Then two cables from the Gigabit switch goes in to the WAN port of eir router and my wifi router.

So would the below setup work:
    A single ethernet cable from the Eir modem goes in to a Gigabit switch. Then two cables from the Gigabit switch goes in to the WAN port of eir router and my wifi router.

as I said before , I dunno if OpenEir or ISP LET you to establish twin connection.
    I haven’t tried myself or read if someone did it before.
    ps. sorry I’ve thought you were asking me.
    I am suggesting you to use ONT term instead of modem , it is proper and less confusing for everyone

Would the below setup work?

1. From the Eir fibre modem (only 1 RJ45 port), make a connection to the Eir router WAN port.

2. Disable DHCP on the Eir router.

3. From one of the LAN ports of the Eir router, make a connection to the WAN port of my AX router.

I would like to get both routers working or else I would drop the land line within the cooling off period and just use my AX router.

There are several ways to make it work.
    Easiest and most wrong one , same as you described , only instead of disabling DHCP , you only disable WIFI on Eir’s router.
    You would have Double NAT then , but it might be alright for you.
    What the model of the AX router have you?

I would drop the land line within the cooling off period and just use my AX router.
    I think Eir doesn’t charge extra for the landline , it is part of a whole package .
    You could just order basic bundle for €55
    (eir Broadband Talk Off-Peak &
    eir Fibre Extreme 1000Mb)
    and you could add some unlimited calls after, if everything works fine for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,892 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I watched the Eir install video so they would need to run the fibre optic via the duct from the street access point to the side of my house where the old eircom phone lines come in and virgin coaxial comes in off the road. Now a few years back UPC tried to pull a new coaxial through but couldn't as there was a blockage so they just left existing. But if the Eircom install team hit a blockage then according to their video I might get charged if they have to dig up and clear the blockage.
    Also once cable comes out of ducting can they run it up to an upstairs room where I have my virgin router and asus router and gigabyte switch?
    Don't want to sign up to a service that they might not be able to provide due to issue highlighted above. Shame they don't send someone out to do tests and site survey before installation

• Advertisement

Don't want to sign up to a service that they might not be able to provide due to issue highlighted above. Shame they don't send someone out to do tests and site survey before installation

As soon as you signed, they’ll sent KN engineer for site survey or he’ll do installation same day if no issues. Otherwise he’ll tell you what to do next . They not supposed to do any digging on your property, it up to yourself to hire someone. They only could dig on a public property ( free of charge )
    If you not happy with the site survey results you just cancel the order , no charges . AFAIK.

Any one of you have any experience with PureTelecom? Their Gigabit fibre broadband with phone is only 35 euro per month!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

I am in a similar position to OP with a VM Hub providing 500Mbps and phone. I have my own router and the Hub is in bridge mode but as it's a cable modem I can connect my phone to it directly no problem.

Checking digiweb, airwire and eir it seems that I don't have either SIRO or other FTTH to my home. They all offer 100Mbps best speed which is a shame. The eir map does show a cabinet on my street but their availability checker only shows 100Mbps max. Should I call them to check or is the online availability checker reliable? I assume if I can get eir I can get digiweb too? The eir 1GBps service is not that much cheaper than the current VM service. 55 Euro/month which rises to 65 if I add the landline unlimited calls bundle.

Am I correct in reading that the eir router cannot be put in bridge mode if you want phone service as well? You can't do the same as I currently have with my VM cable modem/router? My current own router does not have a phone option. I'd be loath to put it in AP mode only as I'm sure the eir router will not be as feature rich. An option would be to buy a Fritzbox that supports DECT telephones instead of the eir router.

I have dealt with eir customer service on behalf of my in laws recently and while the waits are horrendous I haven't found them that much worse than VM. 45 min wait vs 30 min wait to talk to someone.

An option would be to buy a Fritzbox that supports DECT telephones instead of the eir router.
    Eir won't give you user and pass for VOIP services AFAIK.
    Some people were successful placing Eir router beyond their own and do port forwarding for VOIP .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Thanks. It's all academic anyway as I don't have fibre/SIRO to my house and VM is my only choice. Virgin do have a 1Gbps offering but the extra cost is too much for what it gets me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Eir is totally unlimited , some old customers might be still under 1TB FUP cap, but every new contract is unlimited for the last 2-3 years.

It's still in their terms and conditions...

https://www.eir.ie/support/broadband/broadband-usage-allowance/#:~:text=eir%20Fibre%20packages%20with%20an,100%20inc%20VAT%20per%20month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I watched the Eir install video so they would need to run the fibre optic via the duct from the street access point to the side of my house where the old eircom phone lines come in and virgin coaxial comes in off the road. Now a few years back UPC tried to pull a new coaxial through but couldn't as there was a blockage so they just left existing. But if the Eircom install team hit a blockage then according to their video I might get charged if they have to dig up and clear the blockage.
    Also once cable comes out of ducting can they run it up to an upstairs room where I have my virgin router and asus router and gigabyte switch?

It's actually openEir who organize this wehter you sign up with eir / Vodafone or another fibre operator. Whi I ordered mine, the first KN technician found a blockage and couldn't preceed, so they organized the KN Civil Eng team to come out a few days later, They dug up a hole near my existing duct and were able to feed the fibre through. They then prceeded to run the fibre cable exactly to where I wanted it at the back of the house. All this was free of charge, (I reckon it was free because they know with anyone with a VM cabled conneciton won't bother paying the 360 fee to get a duct unblocked).

Just had a chat with the Eir sales team. As per the agent the 1Gbps fibre BB is truly unlimited. When I asked why the above link is still there "I dont Know" was the answer. But the agent confirmed again that there is no fair usage policy.

Is there any restrictions from the side of Eir, like blocking PirateBay / Torrents / IPTV etc?

Just had a chat with the Eir sales team. As per the agent the 1Gbps fibre BB is truly unlimited. When I asked why the above link is still there "I dont Know" was the answer. But the agent confirmed again that there is no fair usage policy.

Is there any restrictions from the side of Eir, like blocking PirateBay / Torrents / IPTV etc?

I do torrenting sometimes, not sure about PirateBay, but trackers I am using not blocked.Same goes for IPTV.
    ps. I forgot to mention, Eir got APP for iOS , EirTalk .
    You just install it , signed it with Eir account and just use your IPad or IPhone same as landline phone ( make and receive calls) .Just in case you want to get rid of Eir router, you still be able to have virtual “landline phone”.
    They used to have the same for Android, not anymore.

• Advertisement

I was told that I wouldnt get Eir Fibre Gigabit broadband as there is no duct to bring the cable into my house! I was told that I have to do this myself. My next door neighbours have connectivity though. Big disappointment. Have to use overpriced VirginMedia 240 Mbps broadband.

Advertisement