Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teenager looking for PC for bedroom. Laptop or Chromebook?

• 22-10-2020 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

Son needs a computer for general use, homework etc.

He'll most likely also use it for watching youtube and Netflix etc and maybe some light gaming like Minecraft and Fortnite?

So, I'm no techy and wondering if we should go for laptop, Chromebook or even a desktop?

Probably looking around 5-600 mark .

Any help appreciated. I don't want to go into a store with no knowledge and buy overpriced crap

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Order a magicbook from honor. /Thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭batman1

Ok. I'll rule out the chrome book.

I would consider a desktop. I had one built by a boardsie some years ago for another child and it has been perfect.

I'll ask on the pc build thread.

That aside, what laptops should I look at, even brands .
    I looked at honor but seems to be out of stock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Desktop and tell him he needs to research the parts and build it himself.

Really great learning experience for kids, will probably get them a new hobby and is the best value for money.

One factor is if people have the space for a desktop in a bedroom or house in general etc

Also by the time you buy a monitor, speakers and (less expensive) keyboard and mouse along with the basic desktop you are not far off or at the same price of the Magicbook 14 which will run minecraft and fortnite fine at 720p due to the ryzen igpu being not terrible.

you might be able to get more power from a desktop but also a lot of people prefer a laptop for watching youtube and netflix over using a desktop.

factors to consider.

sometimes a desktop might be the answer but specific needs and use cases and space factors need to be taken into account.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

While you can play fortnight and Minecraft on a basic machine they really are much better if the laptop or PC has a graphics card. Can be an older cheap one. But if using onboard graphics (no graphics card) really limits it. We bought a cheap 2nd hand pc and put a 1050ti in it.

The social multiplayer aspect is best on the Xbox One. Which might be cheaper. Though you might not want to open pandoras box of gaming and multiplayer gaming. Some kids find it addictive some don't. So be wary.

Being honest for the two actual games mentioned by the poster, Minecraft and Fortnite the 3500u runs them well.
    Also the thermals in the magicbook are excellent letting it run full throttle.

For more demanding games it won't be the case. But for those two games it's not going to impede gameplay.
    They look decent and run at high framerates.

Minecraft and Fortnite are both "cartoony" style games from a graphical point of view so ultra high settings definitely do not matter as much as other styles of games.

Minecraft full 1080p - 60 to 100 fps (without screen recording)

Fortnite - 720p - 70 to 100fps

Advertisement