Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking at a desktop for teen bedroom.

Options
  • 22-10-2020 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

Some years ago I had a desktop built through a recommendation here.

I've another child looking for a bedroom pc and consideration is being given to both laptops or a desktop.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Desktops are probably the way to go.
    When the kid spills something, at least you're only down a mouse/keyboard instead of a whole system.

Also they can be upgraded over time while a laptop essentially turns into an unsalable brick within 3 years.

If it's just for schoolwork, a system with an SSD and Ryzen 3200G/3400G is plenty: https://www.cclonline.com/pc/gaming-pcs/raven/ccl-raven-gaming-pc/000200000300060101010101/

Alternatively, get something with any GPU if you want to let them game on it at decent settings, e.g. https://www.cclonline.com/pc/gaming-pcs/delta/ccl-delta-gx-gaming-pc/

• Registered Users Posts: 82,389 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

3400G is good but there are 4000 series CPUs/Desktop APUs that will work too which might be found at better value and performance.

Keep in mind if you do build a gaming battlestation with a dedicated GPU etc, it puts out a lot of heat. That may not be a problem if its an especially cold room in the house but if it gets stuffy at all I'd stick with an APU solution which uses far less wattage overall and still provides a very reasonable teenage gaming experience - I mean, when I was a kid overheating my frankebuild to play Doom 3 at 10 frames a second was an experience I considered acceptable :pac: I think a modern APU solution by contrast will fit them well and everything they need to do.

I'd love to recommend a 4000G build but I've never seen one.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I'd love to recommend a 4000G build but I've never seen one.

Presumably though it would be the same build with a newer CPU SKU though right? Or are there things the consumer should research first

Or is it simply not available in Europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I priced a few of the 4750G APU's and they are minimum £320 and have to come from HK as they are meant to be sold in pre-builts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭batman1

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Desktops are probably the way to go.
    When the kid spills something, at least you're only down a mouse/keyboard instead of a whole system.

Also they can be upgraded over time while a laptop essentially turns into an unsalable brick within 3 years.

If it's just for schoolwork, a system with an SSD and Ryzen 3200G/3400G is plenty: https://www.cclonline.com/pc/gaming-pcs/raven/ccl-raven-gaming-pc/000200000300060101010101/

Alternatively, get something with any GPU if you want to let them game on it at decent settings, e.g. https://www.cclonline.com/pc/gaming-pcs/delta/ccl-delta-gx-gaming-pc/

Looking on those links it seems like something to consider.

Are there other sites for monitors etc or an 'all in one' system?

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I priced a few of the 4750G APU's and they are minimum £320 and have to come from HK as they are meant to be sold in pre-builts.

Ah. Newegg sells them here but the product image does scream HK alright.

https://www.newegg.com/p/1FR-0001-000N0?Description=Ryzen%204750g&cm_re=Ryzen_4750g-_-9SIA4REBY65566-_-Product&quicklink=true

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Overheal wrote: »

I'd say they are all pulled off boards in that region.
    I do like the idea of one of them as a decent integrated graphics PC, I have an Athlon 220G that would like to swap places with one but a 3400G is much more affordable and easier to obtain.

Overheal wrote: »
    3400G is good but there are 4000 series CPUs/Desktop APUs that will work too which might be found at better value and performance.

Keep in mind if you do build a gaming battlestation with a dedicated GPU etc, it puts out a lot of heat. That may not be a problem if its an especially cold room in the house but if it gets stuffy at all I'd stick with an APU solution which uses far less wattage overall and still provides a very reasonable teenage gaming experience - I mean, when I was a kid overheating my frankebuild to play Doom 3 at 10 frames a second was an experience I considered acceptable :pac: I think a modern APU solution by contrast will fit them well and everything they need to do.

I'm afraid that post is way over my headðŸ˜႒ðŸ˜႒.

I'm still looking and still considering the earlier post recommendations.
    I'm torn between a desktop and a magicbook. Budget around the 600 sterling mark max, incl monitor etc.

I did ask an online store and they said I needed an 'elite' gaming pc as a minimum, but that was over budget....

• Advertisement

Does that compare favourably with the CCL ones in an earlier post?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I'd suggest:

https://www.awd-it.co.uk/awd-it-amd-ryzen-3100-quad-core-mb320-rgb-gtx-1650-4gb-pc-monitor-package-for-gaming.html

Change the SSD for a bigger one - upto 1TB if budget allows
    Add a wifi option - 1200Mbps internal would be my preference but a USB one is fine.
    Knock off any internet security nonsense.
    Leave it as No Operating System - it will come installed just not activated - you can buy a key off adverts for €7

This one has a slower GPU than the one KO is suggesting but would allow for a few needed upgrades like the SSD and Wifi card.

I'd suggest:

https://www.awd-it.co.uk/awd-it-amd-ryzen-3100-quad-core-mb320-rgb-gtx-1650-4gb-pc-monitor-package-for-gaming.html

Add a wifi option - 1200Mbps internal would be my preference but a USB one is fine.
    Leave it as No Operating System - it will come installed just not activated - you can buy a key off adverts for €7

This one has a slower GPU than the one KO is suggesting but would allow for a few needed upgrades like the SSD and Wifi card.

So, in this case, which of the SSD should I go for, bearing in mind keeping it under the 600 mark?
    What about the ADATA SX8200 512GB for an additional 46.99?

In relation to WiFi, I was intending to use a wired connection with homeplug.

Also, a silly question, but as I'm not a techy, is it a big job to get windows 10 going on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

batman1 wrote: »
    Also, a silly question, but as I'm not a techy, is it a big job to get windows 10 going on it?

I think they will load Windows 10 already on the machine, and leave it not activated.
    If you purchase a key for it, see here how to activate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

batman1 wrote: »
    So, in this case, which of the SSD should I go for, bearing in mind keeping it under the 600 mark?
    What about the ADATA SX8200 512GB for an additional 46.99?

In relation to WiFi, I was intending to use a wired connection with homeplug.

go for the Team Group GX at £23.99 and use the money to bump up the memory to Adata 16GB for £25.99 at £589.97

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

JoyPad wrote: »
    I think they will load Windows 10 already on the machine, and leave it not activated.
    If you purchase a key for it, see here how to activate.

Can confirm, friend of mine got one last week from AWD. Booted up straight into windows with no issues! He just had to pickup a cheap key to get rid of the watermark and all was fine!

Skerries wrote: »
    go for the Team Group GX at £23.99 and use the money to bump up the memory to Adata 16GB for £25.99 at £589.97

Ok, I have ordered it and took the advice offered
    Many thanks.

In terms of the key for Windows, I have had a look online but am confused bad to which one. 64 bit etc?

They seem to vary widely in price.

I would be truly grateful if someone could link an example of what I need. By PM if it's not appropriate here...

This is the lad I use.

You need to check and see what version they've loaded on though - HOME or PRO. It will be 64Bit.

For the sake of completeness, if you can put up with the watermark there is no need to even activate so leave it until you're sure.

I'd suggest:

I've ordered this bundle. However, I would like to get a set of speakers. Nothing fancy just basic ones.
    Looking at the spec I can't tell if it's a standard speaker connection or something different. Can anyone help?

Yep just a standard headphone jack.

• Advertisement

This is the lad I use.

You need to check and see what version they've loaded on though - HOME or PRO. It will be 64Bit.

For the sake of completeness, if you can put up with the watermark there is no need to even activate so leave it until you're sure.

I had a look at the link but it looks like it's been withdrawn.

https://www.adverts.ie/operating-systems/windows-10-pro-32-64bit-multi-language-genuine-keys/16896910

Make sure you check what version is installed - Home or Pro. The above is for Pro Keys not sure if he has Home.

Advertisement