Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Garden Centres open?

Options
  • 22-10-2020 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭

Are the garden centres open this time around under lockdown? I assumed they were closed, my two local ones have not updated their FB pages with any info but I just saw an ad on FB for a garden centre not in my area that says they are open every day as usual.

Can ring my local ones tomorrow obviously but just wondering what is the rule or interpretation of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

I noticed my nearest garden centre started stocking pet food last week and now they're saying they can stay open through level 5. Bit of a workaround of the essential businesses list. I'd say bigger ones that can stock additional items might do the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭RachelsCousin

Mine updated their Facebook this morning to say they're closed but operating a phone & collect service. Seemingly they only got clarification late yesterday evening that they couldn't open.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Was speaking to a plants wholesalers today. He was saying most are going to stay open. They are using the argument they are the same as hardware stores. Will be interesting to if they get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭phormium

I'd actually have thought from a safety point of view they are better than hardware stores as so much of them are mainly outside. Bit annoying for them if I can go to Woodies to buy plants but can't go to the garden centre down the road, I'd prefer to go to the GC rather than the more crowded Woodies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

regardless of whether they're open or not, how many people live within 5km of one?
    i.e. if you're stopped at a checkpoint and a garda asks you for a reason you've travelled more than 5km from home, will 'i'm buying some begonias' be an acceptable answer?

• Advertisement

Quite a few I imagine, I have two well within that guideline not including Woodies

Actually 3, just remembered another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

regardless of whether they're open or not, how many people live within 5km of one?
    i.e. if you're stopped at a checkpoint and a garda asks you for a reason you've travelled more than 5km from home, will 'i'm buying some begonias' be an acceptable answer?

1500m from my nearest one!!! Must check if they are open..........

• Registered Users Posts: 28,428 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There may be two or three within 5km of some people, but some people living rural cannot even get to a shop for groceries within 5km. Groceries are 10km away for me. My nearest garden centre would be over half an hour away - 30 to 40 km - in any direction. In fairness I really doubt there will be garda checks, or even concern, about rural dwellers going to their nearest town, even over 5km.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

You can drive as far as you need for groceries.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,757 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

It's food production for most of us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,428 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You can drive as far as you need for groceries.

Yes, I do really know that, it was just so irritating that the point was not made and people do get very uptight about obeying the rules, with genuine good intentions. I have seen reference to the shopping distance thing, but I have yet to see it in any of the lists. Though the grave visiting has faded a bit! Sorry, I am way off topic here.

Well I rang my nearest one, they are open, they said there is confusion with the rules and they are remaining open unless told otherwise. They have a very safe system of in/out etc since they reopened and it's mainly outdoors anyway other than paying so I'm going tomorrow :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

They're right to, these multi-purpose chains find ways around the rules whereas dedicated outlets for a single type of product be it plants or shoes get a raw deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭westsidestory

"What would you be doing purchasing begonias in October, step out of the vehicle there dya think I came down the last shower".

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Go and buy your begonias first, then go and buy some groceries.

Advertisement