Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lenovo b50 error code 0xc0000185

Options
  • 22-10-2020 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I’d be exceptionally grateful if anyone at all could advise me about this. I’ve got the above error on an older laptop that naturally I didn’t back up and there’s personal files,videos,voice memos and pictures on both the desktop and other folders. Although it was a grand laptop in its day, I wouldn’t be overly broken up if it never worked again but I’d really like to take the files off it. Is it possible to reboot it without an installation disk and if not, is there any place when lockdown lifts that I could bring it to safely copy my files and put them on a portable hard drive? I’m based in Carlow/Kilkenny

I’m also the least tech savvy person ever

Cheers everyone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Eyespy wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I’d be exceptionally grateful if anyone at all could advise me about this. I’ve got the above error on an older laptop that naturally I didn’t back up and there’s personal files,videos,voice memos and pictures on both the desktop and other folders. Although it was a grand laptop in its day, I wouldn’t be overly broken up if it never worked again but I’d really like to take the files off it. Is it possible to reboot it without an installation disk and if not, is there any place when lockdown lifts that I could bring it to safely copy my files and put them on a portable hard drive? I’m based in Carlow/Kilkenny

I’m also the least tech savvy person ever

Cheers everyone

The files are still more than likely still there but windows cant boot. A linux live CD would allow you to boot into and copy the files to a USB drive.

Any computer repair shop or computer friend/neighour should be able to do this for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

I you got an error that said the bios has been reset just before it started failing - First thing I would do would be to check in the BIOS that the HDD mode is Not switched to IDE mode
    - change it to either AHCI or RAID - (reason: booting windows in IDE mode that was installed while the drive was in AHCI mode could cause window to blue screen half way through booting)

Other wise- well its a log checklist of things to check if you want fix it yourself back to working condition - but this vid covers them...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkaLJ5BkeNg&ab_channel=TechFixIT

“Roll it back”

Advertisement