Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cutting rough, including dead grass, nettles, docks, weeds, briars, etc?

Options
  • 22-10-2020 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭

Hi. I have a large rough area to clear. I could use a strimmer, but I find it slow and back breaking for large areas. Anyone experience of using push strimmers or the likes. All suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

AS mowers are very good for rough ground, Honda sell a rough grass mower the UM536

If strimming rough grass with a strimmer, you need decent power and a steel blade.
    I use a 40cc Tanaka with an Oregon 3 tooth steel blade that mulches as well as cuts.
    Its really efficient and takes little time to cut a very big swathe but I do know what you mean by back breaking if you have a very large area to cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

If you're finding it really backbreaking, check all your measurements - handle-to-blade distance, shoulder-to-handle distance, hip-guard position, harness adjustments, etc, etc. I have several dodgy vertebrae/discs in my back and neck, but ever since I made a conscious effort to get the handle, clips and buckles in the right place, I can now "suit up" in the morning and strim away across rough ground for hours with no ill-effect.

Of course, a good, freshly sharpened, three-point metal blade on the end makes all the difference too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

Thanks for the replies. I have a blade. But although I'd be happy that some of the area is free from objects, I just couldn't be sure what's buried under the dead rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

If it's seriously, seriously overgrown, and you think there might be unstrimmable stuff at ground level (rocks, stumps, tyres, washing machines ... :pac: ) then I'd definitely opt for the strimmer first and do a first pass at about 50cm high. That won't let you see everything, but chances are you'll clunk your boot against the hidden treasures as you move through the area and be able to flag and/or remove them as you go.

But if the area is that bad, you'd nearly be better getting a digger in.

Advertisement