Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vitae Inset Stove

• 23-10-2020 9:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone,

I have Vitae inset 6kw stove installed in our new house. Never used Stoves before in my life (joys of living in an apartment).

I am looking for tips on how to best manage and maintain such Stoves please?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭eusap

use kiln dried timber, clean out ashes every few days, and get chimmney cleaned at least once per year, depending on use, beware the door handle gets very hot, use the glove to open/close

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The lads who installed my stove left the glove with the rest of the stuff, but then a builder threw it into a skip, assuming it was an old work glove :D

I've found the main door handle never gets very hot - it's hollow and designed to air-cool itself, but definitely the airflow sliders get extremely hot, you don't want to touch them with bare hands.

Don't waste too much time cleaning the stove glass. It's self-cleaning once you get it burning hot enough and keep the top air vent open. If you get lazy and use a lot of firelogs, you'll probably have to clean the glass once a week or so, but if you use good kiln-dried logs then the self-cleaning should keep you solid.

The instructions are here in case they didn't come with the house:
    http://heatdesign.ie/wp-content/files_mf/1378396091Vitae6kWCassetteUserGuide.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

Got the 9kw one recently and love it. When I do need to clean the glass I got a good tip.... wet newspaper, dip in the ash and use that to clean. It comes off very easily. Then just a wipe with a wet cloth to clean the residue.

We’re using kiln dried logs and the odd briquette. Find it very efficient for fuel use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Hahha that's funny. Luckily our builder didn't touch those gloves and the booklet has also been left inside the stove.

Thanks for providing the manual. To be honest, I am really scared to use the stove as something may go wrong and we might not be able to shut the fire down.

And can anyone suggest an online seller to buy kiln dried timber? I am based in Limerick city.

seamus wrote: »
    The lads who installed my stove left the glove with the rest of the stuff, but then a builder threw it into a skip, assuming it was an old work glove :D

I've found the main door handle never gets very hot - it's hollow and designed to air-cool itself, but definitely the airflow sliders get extremely hot, you don't want to touch them with bare hands.

Don't waste too much time cleaning the stove glass. It's self-cleaning once you get it burning hot enough and keep the top air vent open. If you get lazy and use a lot of firelogs, you'll probably have to clean the glass once a week or so, but if you use good kiln-dried logs then the self-cleaning should keep you solid.

The instructions are here in case they didn't come with the house:
    http://heatdesign.ie/wp-content/files_mf/1378396091Vitae6kWCassetteUserGuide.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

So long as you stick with wood and refuel little and often, it's very, very difficult to overfire these stoves.

If you're not at all familiar with lighting fires, then just start small and you'll get the hang of it pretty quickly. If you are ever concerned that it's burning too wildly, just keep the door closed and close the air controls, you can't go wrong.

Open fires are a much bigger concern in that regard, there's little you can do to quench them except to smother them with sand/soil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

Quick question for anyone! We’ve just had a 6kw vitae cassette stove installed. Instructions say that there’s a secondary air control in the centre at the top but there’s none on our stove. We have 2 controls on the bottom right instead (but the instructions indicate one of these is a riddle - however it has no effect as a riddle when I use it). Is this the secondary air control & the instructions are for multiple variations? Thanks!

We have same stove and there are two levers at the bottom band one on top midway to allow/close air supply

Can you share picture of your stove?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭ReturnOfThe

Of the two bottom right levers the riddle handle should be the one closest to bottom.. if you are pulling it in and out and its not moving the riddle grate, it may have become disconnected from the riddle grate .. if so open the door and lift up the riddle grate and you should how the riddle handle is attached, if I remember rightly it's simple enough to recatch it to grate..

had a good look at the riddle lever and there’s no way to attach it to the grate as far as I can see. Both levers on the bottom right are definitely affecting airflow independent of each other which has me a bit confused (as I think only one should).

I have the exact same stove and a small device on the top is missing. To basically increase or reduce the air flow. Its crucial to have it on days when it's not windy outside.

• Advertisement

Thank you! I’ll go back to them

so we’ve figured it out! Turns out it’s a newer version with both secondary and primary air control down in the corner at the expense of a riddle. Picture of instructions attached - the ones they directed me to online were all for the v2, but they’ve sent me the instructions now for the v3. Thanks for the help!

Advertisement