Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coolmine recycling centre.

• 23-10-2020 10:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭

Fingal usually offers free entry to the recycling center just before Halloween.

Anyone know if it's happening again this year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

Yes, they are.

https://www.fingal.ie/news/annual-halloween-amnesty-recycling-centres?fbclid=IwAR1veNHnY4T_DRWSeDazlCiGcvIQHKwuKXePoNYtf5xfszHINPYLjULgY74

"Combustible materials (beds, sofas, wooden doors etc.) will be accepted free of charge at Fingal County Council’s Recycling Centres for residents of Fingal from Wednesday, October 21 to Saturday, October 31, excluding Sunday and Bank Holiday."

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,326 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

For anyone planning to go down to the centre, I just passed it. The queue is currently out of the centre, around the corner, past the fire station and around the next corner heading towards Molloy's.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

It's been bad all week, clogging up the whole of Coolmine. Idiots who aren't going to the recycling centre, are not going around the traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

So when should it get back to normal? I have a few small electrical things to hand it. Don’t fancy queuing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

eviltwin wrote: »
    So when should it get back to normal? I have a few small electrical things to hand it. Don’t fancy queuing.

Should be better after Halloween as it won't be free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Should be better after Halloween as it won't be free

Electrical Goods are free to recycle at Coolmine.
    https://www.fingal.ie/council/service/waste-electrical-and-electronic-equipment-weee-and-batteries-regulations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Phil.x

I'm in the queue right now for nearly an hour, toilet and other junk, very tempted to dump in down some back road, no pun intended.

Zaph wrote: »
    For anyone planning to go down to the centre, I just passed it. The queue is currently out of the centre, around the corner, past the fire station and around the next corner heading towards Molloy's.

Should of checked on here first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Phil.x wrote: »
    I'm in the queue right now for nearly an hour, toilet and other junk, very tempted to dump in down some back road, no pun intended.

I really hope not!

Knine wrote: »
    I really hope not!

No I didn't, I suffered like the other poor souls, over one hour to drop it off, but the thought did cross my mind 40mins in.

What a really bad system fingal are running, it's all outdoors and they let in about 8 or 9 cars in one go and don't let anymore in until they are all finished and gone and the yard is completely empty.
    Why not one out, one in? Like everywhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭D15er

No I didn't, I suffered like the other poor souls, over one hour to drop it off, but the thought did cross my mind 40mins in.

What a really bad system fingal are running, it's all outdoors and they let in about 8 or 9 cars in one go and don't let anymore in until they are all finished and gone and the yard is completely empty.

When people are willing to sit in their car for over an hour just to save eight euro, I'm not sure that Fingal are the problem.

D15er wrote: »
    When people are willing to sit in their car for over an hour just to save eight euro, I'm not sure that Fingal are the problem.

What would you have suggested I do with the toilet, and why do you think I needed to save eight euro, I didn't know it was free today.

The queueing at coolmine has being so bad since covid and fingal failed to manage it.

It's not the public's fault for wanting to do the right thing or maybe you're right and I should just dump the rest of my bathroom and save my eight euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

There's been queues at Coolmine for years. Especially on Saturdays. I'd say I have to queue 8 out of 10 times I go.

The facility has been way too small for a decade or so, and its a terrible location, too near the traffic for the center, too small etc.
    They should build a bigger one, further out, that has more space to move people and recycling through it more efficiently.

Its not rocket science. Yet it seems to beyond whomever is in charge of locating it. They just ignored it for a decade or more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭D15er

What would you have suggested I do with the toilet, and why do you think I needed to save eight euro, I didn't know it was free today.

The queueing at coolmine has being so bad since covid and fingal failed to manage it.

It's not the public's fault for wanting to do the right thing or maybe you're right and I should just dump the rest of my bathroom and save my eight euro.

You could have brought it along on Monday?

Ah listen I'm just jealous that I don't have the luxury of squandering my afternoon sitting in a car to save eight quid and somehow blaming everyone else. I'd love to be that idle. Fair play to you.

Ah listen I'm just jealous that I don't have the luxury of squandering my afternoon sitting in a car to save eight quid and somehow blaming everyone else. I'd love to be that idle. Fair play to you.

How is trying to get rid of rubbish idle. They might work Monday.

Jesus people will literally judge and criticize anyone for anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

It was one out one in the last time I was there....

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,326 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

LorelaiG wrote: »
    It was one out one in the last time I was there....

Same here, and it worked very well. Admittedly it wasn't a Saturday, so wouldn't have been as busy even ignoring the free dumping today, but it certainly would have kept the queue moving a lot better than what I witnessed earlier.

So you want me to take time off from work? You must be very idle!!!!

Zaph wrote: »
    Same here, and it worked very well. Admittedly it wasn't a Saturday, so wouldn't have been as busy even ignoring the free dumping today, but it certainly would have kept the queue moving a lot better than what I witnessed earlier.

I'm now thinking its fingal's level 5 carry on which needs attention, as previous weeks it was a 5 or 10 min wait maximum.

I'm now thinking its fingal's level 5 carry on which needs attention, as previous weeks it was a 5 or 10 min wait maximum.

I was waiting about 30~40 mins about a month back. Having to queue at Coolmine is a regular event. Especially on Saturdays.

• Advertisement

In all fairness that is incorrect. I have witnessed queues similar to what have been described on a regular basis since last March, especially on the busier days of such as Friday afternoons, Saturday’s and believe it or on Monday’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 username copied

eviltwin wrote: »

You can bring your electrical items to powercity. You don't have to have bought them there.

https://powercity.ie/site/recycling

It seems to have worse ever since the lock down in March so it's probably a case of people being at home and clearing stuff out. They do need a bigger facility as it obviously can't cope with demand. Its always busy at the weekend but extra busy at the moment because of being free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Bigger facility won't make much of a difference, the Estuary location in Swords has queues onto the main road too.

Hurrache wrote: »
    Bigger facility won't make much of a difference, the Estuary location in Swords has queues onto the main road too.

That's hardly much bigger.

The other issue is its quite slow to unload a decent car load. Because you have to distribute across the site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It is, it's layout can handle more cars. Ballymount can have the same problems too, it's just the way things are.

Hurrache wrote: »
    It is, it's layout can handle more cars. Ballymount can have the same problems too, it's just the way things are.

Sorry but if you have permanent queues and that just gets worse at any sort of peak, its just not up to the task.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

The queue isn't a Coolmine only problem at the moment - other recycling centres in driveable distance, including some you need to pay for like thorntons in Meath, have had queues. I reckon it's a Covid problem as lots of people are investing foregone holiday money etc into their homes.

Covid made it slightly worse. But there are always queues most of Saturdays for years at Coolmine.

Once they build the bridge at Station court it will only get worse as even more traffic will be drawn into the area.

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »
    Once they build the bridge at Station court it will only get worse as even more traffic will be drawn into the area.

Enlighten us further.

Advertisement