Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LED glow with open circuit

Options
  • 23-10-2020 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We have an off-grid shed that was wired by an electrican a number of years ago now. The lighting has been ungraded in places to 50W LED floodlights.

What I've noticed is that when some of the lighting circuits are off there seems to be some leakage as I notice at night there is a faint light from the LED - not sufficient for any form of illumination, just enough to view the LED.

One of the LED units was supplied and installed by an electrican - obtained from a local supplier.
    The second item was one which I replaced a blown LED plus driver with a COB replacement. It was correctly earthed and working perfectly via mains. However, installed in the shed it flickers badly and produces low light level - so I think it is goosed.

Is anything required to be done with the leakage (I'm assuming it is earth leakage) as it is not tripping the RCD. Is it just that the tolerable leakage is sufficient to allow a faint glow to the LED chip?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

It is likely capacitive coupling or similar, which causes induced voltage with very little current in switched off circuits. Only seen in LED lights as incandescent ones "absorb" this tiny current.

A bypass capacitor or resistor might stop it.

Advertisement