Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mattie McGrath: anti - lockdown champion!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

Hurrache wrote: »
    Mattie McGrath, he's just an all round stupid prick.

****ing moron Godwin's his own speech, invoking mass murder and genocide when talking about a lock down. You clowns might want to research the pogroms.

If any eejit looks at that speech in admiration, you need to revaluate your life.
    In fairness, I think McGrath is referring to the loss of freedoms, going almost unchallenged, as seen during the NSDAP’s rise to power, and not so much about the horrors that followed.

A bit over the top, but I don’t think he’s suggesting the government will start rounding up people not wearing masks and then ensuring them that ‘work will set them free’.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,315 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

KungPao wrote: »
    In fairness, I think McGrath is referring to the loss of freedoms, going almost unchallenged, as seen during the NSDAP’s rise to power, and not so much about the horrors that followed.

A bit over the top, but I don’t think he’s suggesting the government will start rounding up people not wearing masks and then ensuring them that ‘work will set them free’.

If at 04.00am. I decide I want to go buy 6 cans of Heineken in a supermarket or off license.. I cannot.. the licensing laws don’t permit that.

If at 12.30 tomorrow, in the supermarket I realize I’ve left my wallet in the car, I tell the security I’ll pay next week, security won’t permit it.

If last year in the pub, I wanted to light up a cigarette, I can’t, it’s against the law,

In none of these scenarios have I or anybody lost my freedom.

With covid, certain measures have been put in place, certain requirements made on citizens and their behaviors. Simple. People need to think of society, healthcare workers, fûck it, ALL of us and just do the right thing.

It’s depressing how alien the idea of selflessness is to so many but it’s hardly a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭excludedbin

Maybe but the NSDAP used the Reichstag Fire to whip people into a fervour against an enemy that hadn't done it (Marinus van der Lubbe acted alone). It was a pretext to solidify power so they could enact the oppressive state that allowed them to target the 'degenerates' in their society. It wasn't done just because they could.

Now, unless our government is following the same or similar lines, it really isn't comparable at all. The pandemic is a real thing that really is happening right now. The restrictions might not be pleasant but they're obviously not permanent and are for good reasons.

Frankly, it's the ratlicking violent thugs (one of them is in court after senselessly assaulting a woman at their latest """protest""") of the Nationalist Party, and the rest of the 'anti mask' dopes, that have far more in common with them. They, after all, are the ones using this whole thing as a flimsy pretext to continue assaulting anyone that looks at them askance. They aren't peaceful protests, they're violent, anti-science lunatics that're taking the absolute piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,466 ✭✭✭jmreire

paw patrol wrote: »
    for a disease that only landed in Feb 2020 in the USA he seems pretty sure of all that permanent stuff.

Well one permanent fact is pretty clear, that at a 1% death rate ( and this figure varies between the 1 and 2% globally ) But even at the 1% death rate in a Country with a population of 328,200,000. like the US, that one percent translates into 3,282,000 people dead. And as the article states, that nr by itself will throw a wrench into the works. That much is pretty clear, only the time frame is uncertain and the Nrs infected.
    From Feb to October is long enough for recovery trends to start showing up in statistics, so as to the authenticity of the figure's the Author is quoting, I don't know either. But one thing I do know is that this virus has a very long tail, and can and does leave long lasting side effects, so its not a cut and dried issue of surviving or dying. There's a gray area in between. Personally a Friend of mine caught it back in march, and after 2 mth's home treatment, she was eventually admitted to hospital where she was treated for pneumonia for two weeks, About one month ago taste and smell started to return, and slowly she is recovering. She still suffers with it though.. A good day is usually followed by two bad days, but at least she is now getting good days..for more than 6 mths that was not the case. And I would say that she is not an isolated case either.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Is there subtitles ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Everlong1

Has Mattie upset your city boy feelings? Good! love it when he triggers the boards keyboard warriors

I'm not so much upset as mildly amused by this classic parish pump muckah trying to make a name for himself by getting hysterical over the Government's perfectly valid response to a national emergency.

In much the same way as I'm amused by his fellow muckahs the Healy Rae's, who probably also think we shouldn't do anything about Covid as sure doesn't God above control everything.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Moved from Current Affairs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

It's very easy to call for things like this knowing you're not the one who will get blamed if the hospitals get over-run. It's a cop-out in my view.

hmmm wrote: »
    It's very easy to call for things like this knowing you're not the one who will get blamed if the hospitals get over-run. It's a cop-out in my view.

Spot on. If the Government did nothing and thousands of deaths ensued the likes of Mattie, the Shinners and the loony lefties like Boyd Barrett would be the first ones to start jumping up and down shrieking about how we have a Third World health service and demanding the Minister For Health be stoned to death in the middle of O'Connell Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Absolute clown, notwithstanding it's near impossible to understand a word that comes out of his mouth, did anyone see the ludicrous face shield he's wearing, all it's missing in windscreen wipers.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

McGrath is right - these restrictions and so-called "lockdowns" are totalitarian, treasonous and Satanic. I firmly believe that those who have endorsed these measures must be prosecuted for Treason.

Strumms wrote: »
    I’d say we’ll be yo-yoing until there is a vaccine.

We can prolong the time that we are out of lockdown by acting responsibly when we are in it and indeed out of it.

That’s a message that’s a hard sell to the greedy, needy and thick fûckers though.
    We won't, because the people will rightly prevent this by any and all means necessary. Those advocating this are criminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

Is there subtitles ?

Think of the poor Oireachtas staff that have to transcribe that!

Maybe we could get the text and dub it over like Gerry Adams was by the beeb, and we can understand what the hell he’s saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,529 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Risteard81 wrote: »
    McGrath is right - these restrictions and so-called "lockdowns" are totalitarian, treasonous and Satanic. I firmly believe that those who have endorsed these measures must be prosecuted for Treason.

Satanic... and treasonous?

I think you give MM and Leo too much credit.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,365 ✭✭✭✭Water John

This is the boy who had a go at Dr. Holohan. He either did or didn't know why Holohan was on a leave of absence and either shows his stupidity;
    https://www.thesun.ie/news/5990946/mattie-mcgrath-tony-holohan-john-wayne-slammed/

Water John wrote: »
    This is the boy who had a go at Dr. Holohan. He either did or didn't know why Holohan was on a leave of absence and either shows his stupidity;
    https://www.thesun.ie/news/5990946/mattie-mcgrath-tony-holohan-john-wayne-slammed/

Didn't know about that. I have even more contempt for him now. What a cretin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

It’s depressing how alien the idea of selflessness is to so many but it’s hardly a surprise.

They are people in society who take, take, take, and have a ‘what’s in it for me’ attitude. Maybe it comes from a deprived upbringing or they are just miserable people.

As another poster said, these restrictions are temporary. No-one knows what the future holds, but going by past pandemics we eventually will go back to the way things were. Most reasonable people know this; we have to take temporary measures to deal with a crisis, however hard that may be.

Equating this to a ‘loss of freedom’ is laughable to be honest. It’s all a guise for selfish people, who don’t want to do what’s asked of them and to be considerate of others.
    I’ve met people like this in my life and they just suck the life out of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

They are people in society who take, take, take, and have a ‘what’s in it for me’ attitude. Maybe it comes from a deprived upbringing or they are just miserable people.

As another poster said, these restrictions are temporary. No-one knows what the future holds, but going by past pandemics we eventually will go back to the way things were. Most reasonable people know this; we have to take temporary measures to deal with a crisis, however hard that may be.

Equating this to a ‘loss of freedom’ is laughable to be honest. It’s all a guise for selfish people, who don’t want to do what’s asked of them and to be considerate of others.
    I’ve met people like this in my life and they just suck the life out of you.

Still in your job yeah

We won't, because the people will rightly prevent this by any and all means necessary. Those advocating this are criminals.

Those advocating it, implementing and enforcing it are saving lives.

Criminals ? What law are you saying that they’ve broken ?

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/

Those advocating it, implementing and enforcing it are saving lives.

Criminals ? What law are you saying that they’ve broken ?

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/
    They seek to subvert the Republic proclaimed in 1916 by implementing totalitarian rule on the Irish People. As I stated, this is an act of Treason.

• Advertisement

The Proclamation of 1916 is neither the Constitution or Law of the Land. It's a message of hope and liberty.

The Proclamation of 1916 is neither the Constitution or Law of the Land. It's a message of hope and liberty.
    Wrong. It proclaimed the true Irish Republic which counter-revolutionaries sought to subvert, including the abandonment of the Six Counties. The fact that these Quislings seek to cede power to Brussels is yet more evidence that they have no respect for the sovereignty and unity of the Republic, which are inalienable and non-judicable.

They seek to subvert the Republic proclaimed in 1916 by implementing totalitarian rule on the Irish People. As I stated, this is an act of Treason.

You need to speak with somebody who has knowledge of the law. What you are saying is incorrect.

There is no subversion, just laws implemented with saving lives and maintaining the health of everyone in the country.

Treason is defined as ... “the crime of betraying one's country, especially by attempting to kill or overthrow the sovereign or government”

None of that is happening. What has happened is restrictive laws have been passed to prevent behaviors that can and will endanger the health and wellbeing of the country and it’s citizens. Breaking these laws, now THAT is treason.

As a matter of interest Risteard do you acknowledge the Dail as the governing body of the country?

Still in your job yeah

I work in the creative industry - my job has taking a bashing actually. I’ve lost clients and budgets have shrunk. The future is precarious (in an already precarious industry) but I live in hope. I am grateful for the safety net that is the PUP.

I work in the creative industry - my job has taking a bashing actually. I’ve lost clients and budgets have shrunk. The future is precarious (in an already precarious industry) but I live in hope. I am grateful for the safety net that is the PUP.

So the answer is yes

As a matter of interest Risteard do you acknowledge the Dail as the governing body of the country?
    I recognise the 1st and 2nd Dáil Éireann, and look forward to the convening of the 3rd Dáil.

So the answer is yes

Did you not read my post? The PUP payment is for people who’ve lost their job.

Did you not read my post? The PUP payment is for people who’ve lost their job.

Yes I did read your post . You're still working I got it . The people who aren't need to shut up and get on with it

• Advertisement

I recognise the 1st and 2nd Dáil Éireann, and look forward to the convening of the 3rd Dáil.

Don’t get Covid , you might not then be around to see it.

Advertisement