Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home cloud storage with back up

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If your requirement is just keeping personal media (photographs/video you shoot) and the growth rate it slow then even a Syn might be overkill. For those storing much larger libraries theyre a no brainer but in your case maybe not.

The main things to consider are:
    A) Ransomware. If somebody in your household with access to the device gets done itll encrypt their machine and everything on the network it can. This includes NASs etc. Having something ransomeware cant get to (Google Drive, iCloud, S3 that isnt mounted) is a really good idea especially in cases where users are running as admin daily.
    B) 3 is 2, 2 is 1, 1 is none.
    Main copy
    NAS copy
    Cloud/offsite copy

For 10TB this can be costly, 1TB should be fine (maybe go to 3TB in future).

1. Sata HDD in Desktop (Id consider anything on a laptop to not exist, theyre just too vulnerable)
    2. NAS https://www.amazon.co.uk/WD-TB-Cloud-Home-Personal/dp/B074DXPS6B/ (You can probably get a better price if you hunt)
    3. A. Sync to cloud provider of choice from Desktop or NAS, probably desktop.
    B. Use Google Photos for FREE storage of res limited (16MP) photos and have no monthly costs. Unless you want 100MB raws then this is a killer offering.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

ED E wrote: »
    If your requirement is just keeping personal media (photographs/video you shoot) and the growth rate it slow then even a Syn might be overkill. For those storing much larger libraries theyre a no brainer but in your case maybe not.

The main things to consider are:
    A) Ransomware. If somebody in your household with access to the device gets done itll encrypt their machine and everything on the network it can. This includes NASs etc. Having something ransomeware cant get to (Google Drive, iCloud, S3 that isnt mounted) is a really good idea especially in cases where users are running as admin daily.
    B) 3 is 2, 2 is 1, 1 is none.
    Main copy
    NAS copy
    Cloud/offsite copy

For 10TB this can be costly, 1TB should be fine (maybe go to 3TB in future).

1. Sata HDD in Desktop (Id consider anything on a laptop to not exist, theyre just too vulnerable)
    2. NAS https://www.amazon.co.uk/WD-TB-Cloud-Home-Personal/dp/B074DXPS6B/ (You can probably get a better price if you hunt)
    3. A. Sync to cloud provider of choice from Desktop or NAS, probably desktop.
    B. Use Google Photos for FREE storage of res limited (16MP) photos and have no monthly costs. Unless you want 100MB raws then this is a killer offering.

Thanks for that info. I'll have a look at it over the weekend. no one else in the house will have access so I'm not worried about others causing issues. 3TB with another 3TB mirrored or backup would do

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Setup a synology Diskstation NAS for someone recently, its pretty good system.

Black friday might have some deals if you are willing to wait another few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

irishgeo wrote: »
    Setup a synology Diskstation NAS for someone recently, its pretty good system.

Black friday might have some deals if you are willing to wait another few weeks.
    Thanks, that was top of my list and I'm in no panic to buy so I'll see what Amazon has on offer

Advertisement