Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lightweight Fullface

Options
  • 23-10-2020 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

I'm thinking of getting a full face for trail/am use,not that I'm crashing loads,yet!,but want to improve on my skills so having the extra confidence by being a bit more protected can only help.
    Would be using it on trails I would be sessioning or on shorter faster spins rather than all day epics.
    Any feedback on the Met Parachute or Fox Proframe or even any others worth a mention?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I've got a Fox proframe and an older Troy Lee Designs D2 and the weight difference is noticeable, as is the ventilation obviously since the TLD lid is more akin to moto design. The missus has a 100% aircraft, and whilst the ventilation on the proframe is better, I'm not sure of the weight difference being quite so noticeable.

TBH, I've worn the TLD at all-day sessions at the GAP, including weekdays where there's been nobody there and I've pretty much had a personal uplift service so been able to crank out the runs, and when you're wearing it you don't really 'fee'l the weight, although wearing the proframe more now I must certainly do notice the ventilation, the weight less so. The proframe, being of a newer design has additional protection whereas the TLD D2 was a standard offering (e.g. no MIPS, etc.) being an older helmet. No complaints about either lid other than to say Fox's helmet sizing is on the conservative side; my XL (largest size Fox do) just fits my head with a minor annoyance around the forehead that disappears once your focus is elsewhere whereas the TLD helmet was spot on. I think my head measurement is 60 or 61, so if you're over that a proframe most likely wont fit your melon.

I'm impressed with my missus' 100% helmet, but that ain't fitting my head .. so I really can't comment save to add that she likes it.

In summary, I like both helmets but the proframe would definitely better suit all-day riding outside of an uplift bike park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Maybe worth considering a 'convertible' helmet? I use a Bell Super 2r and it ticks every box really. You can unclip the chin part when you're climbing and clip it back in place at the top. Get the ventilation of a regular helmet when climbing, and the protection of a full face on the descents. Comes into its own in places like Carrick, where there are long climbs and rough descents. The wife has a Giro Switchblade, but the chin part on that one is awkward to store when climbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

I've heard bad things about ones with removable chin-bars: chin-bars dislodging during crashes and badly injuring the wearer.

I was looking at Fox Proframe and TLD Stage, and eventually went for the TLD on the basis that the Fox's visor is immovable making it tricky to put your googles up under the visor.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

fatbhoy wrote: »
    I've heard bad things about ones with removable chin-bars: chin-bars dislodging during crashes and badly injuring the wearer.

I seem to recall some race series here in the UK (or maybe it's the British cycling rules) do not permit full face with removable chin-bars now in races were full-face has been mandated as obligatory. I've never heard any horror stories or anything but clearly some of the powers-that-be are concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭covey123

Lemming wrote: »
    . No complaints about either lid other than to say Fox's helmet sizing is on the conservative side; my XL (largest size Fox do) just fits my head with a minor annoyance around the forehead that disappears once your focus is elsewhere whereas the TLD helmet was spot on. I think my head measurement is 60 or 61, so if you're over that a proframe most likely wont fit your melon.

I'm impressed with my missus' 100% helmet, but that ain't fitting my head .. so I really can't comment save to add that she likes it.

In summary, I like both helmets but the proframe would definitely better suit all-day riding outside of an uplift bike park.

I suppose I should have said ventilation would be of greater importance over weight.
    Will need to check sizing with the Fox so as would definitely need at least an XL,have a TLD open face thats XL and perfect fit,how does the 100% rate for actual sizing with your missus?
    They have a Trajecta which is well ventilated lid

• Advertisement

Just bit the bullet on this 100% Trajecta

https://www.maciag-offroad.com/100-enduro-mtb-helmet-trajecta-charcoal-sid105997.html#ph

€189 when using the discount code, definitely one of the best prices out there,free postage too if anyone else in the market

• Registered Users Posts: 29,315 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

covey123 wrote:
    €189 when using the discount code, definitely one of the best prices out there,free postage too if anyone else in the market

Fine looking helmet, where did you get the discount, I'm in the market myself?

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Fine looking helmet, where did you get the discount, I'm in the market myself?

Use ;

hi#com

Gives you 10% off everything.....so you know your not going to stop at just the helmet don't you ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,315 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

covey123 wrote: »
    Use ;

hi#com

Gives you 10% off everything.....so you know your not going to stop at just the helmet don't you ;-)

damn right i wont be, also needs pads etc, thanks for that

So the helmet arrived today,must say I'm well impressed with the quality feel of it.

I went with the XL size (was coming in just between L & XL).
    It came with a spare set of larger pads,and with those in the fit was spot on(was a little loose with smaller pads).

Will have to try it on the trails for a proper review, but fit and quality are spot on

• Advertisement

Damn, pulled the trigger too early....
    Excellent deal on a TLD stage here;

https://www.merlincycles.com/troy-lee-designs-stage-mips-pinstripe-full-face-mtb-helmet-2020-179981.html#

€314 down to €182

Advertisement