Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for Oak wood in Kerry

• 23-10-2020 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Hello, I'm looking for some Oak wood in Kerry. I will be using it in a hot smoker. I have loads of Ash which is good for creating heat, the smoke taste is very mild though so would like to have some oak to add to the ash. All the firewood I'm finding in the area that has oak is usually an oak and Ash mix..heavy on the Ash. It doesn't have to be Kiln dried.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Ohoopee wrote: »
    Hello, I'm looking for some Oak wood in Kerry. I will be using it in a hot smoker. I have loads of Ash which is good for creating heat, the smoke taste is very mild though so would like to have some oak to add to the ash. All the firewood I'm finding in the area that has oak is usually an oak and Ash mix..heavy on the Ash. It doesn't have to be Kiln dried.

You might l get beech easier than oak for smoking

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Ohoopee

You might l get beech easier than oak for smoking

Beech is really good for cold smoking and for fish and seafood in general. I personally find it very mild just like the Ash wood I have. Finding Oak here is never a problem, just that it is almost always mixed with other wood, some of which can't really be used for smoking such as spruce.

Advertisement