Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this really the way to plant a tree?

Options
  • 23-10-2020 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭

I received delivery 3m Crimson King today. I was a bit taken aback by the root bulb. Any tree I have lanted before had been potted, The tree is removed from the pot, some of the roots are teased out to promote good grounding. This has always resulted in healthy trees.

The root system was held together by a cloth gauze under a wire mesh, the man who delivered the tree said to leave the mesh, it is biodegradable and just plant as is. I have attached a picture. Would it be okay to plant like this?

Thanks, in advance, for any advice.

qDScC1.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Yep just drop it in. Did you open the wire it looks lose ? Actually I can see its been opened. Tie it back up tight and plant it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭standardg60

All normal, they are just bare root. Did you open and untie the hessian gauze? Re-tie if so.
    The one difference when planting bare root is to bury to the existing soil mark on the trunk rather than an inch or so deeper as you would with potted.
    Bare root will actually establish quicker than potted as the roots haven't been forced to go round in circles. Just ensure they are staked extremely well to begin with, it's very difficult to straighten a leaning tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Perfectly normal! You'll see a lot of trees used in urban landscaping being delivered and planted in their hessian bags.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Yep just drop it in. Did you open the wire it looks lose ? Actually I can see its been opened. Tie it back up tight and plant it
    you mean leave the wire in situ? i don't know what the industry standard is, but that just sounds wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,715 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

https://www.creepersnursery.co.uk/news/root-ball-season/ see the last bullet point.

Dig hole and plant doing as little to damage the root ball as possible. Once supported in the hole I'd carefully cut as much wire as possible leaving the wire under the root ball. Sometimes you can take all the wire off really easily but if don't worry about whats left underneath the root ball.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,428 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'm sure they know what they are talking about, but that goes against all my tree planting instincts too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭macraignil

We left the wire under the trees when I was working for a landscaping company as well. Just loosened the bit near the top. If I have found old wire fencing in the ground when digging it usually has rusted into fragile pieces so I guess the same happens to the wire under the trees planted like this and it just becomes rust before the roots can be damaged by the wire. The cloth would also degrade fairly fast in soil. The work to remove the wire could do more damage to the roots when they would be must vulnerable before the tree has had a chance to settle in.

Advertisement