Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultra Wide Monitors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    My friend reminded me of the oldest trick in the book:
    Get a sales rep & ask for a discount.

Got it for 1142 EUR :cool:

You beat me by €60, ya swine. I got them down to €1200

*runs to the phone to make an example outta someone :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Have some pc upgrading budget burning a hole in my pocket and just for the life of me can’t get myself around to pulling the trigger.

The idea of moving to 34” sounds great but concerned might not have specs for it (only ever cared for 1080p) and a real worry is gaming.

Work stuff it looks a no brainer but there’s something about CoD and WoW that makes me think I won’t be as good or sharp playing on 34 inch compared to 24.

I also always have something going on my second screen be it chat for my stream or watching YouTube or twitch or discord or something
    How has people’s experiences been gaming and having another window present or open ?

Did think about keeping one of my 24s to run in portrait but I guess the idea behind moving from my tried and tested is to go from two monitors to one.

It’s worked well for me in work where I have a Mac and love the bigger screen but just can’t convince myself it won’t be worse off for gaming that’s not casual single player experiences

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

TheDoc wrote: »
    Have some pc upgrading budget burning a hole in my pocket and just for the life of me can’t get myself around to pulling the trigger.

The idea of moving to 34” sounds great but concerned might not have specs for it (only ever cared for 1080p) and a real worry is gaming.

Work stuff it looks a no brainer but there’s something about CoD and WoW that makes me think I won’t be as good or sharp playing on 34 inch compared to 24.

I also always have something going on my second screen be it chat for my stream or watching YouTube or twitch or discord or something
    How has people’s experiences been gaming and having another window present or open ?

Did think about keeping one of my 24s to run in portrait but I guess the idea behind moving from my tried and tested is to go from two monitors to one.

It’s worked well for me in work where I have a Mac and love the bigger screen but just can’t convince myself it won’t be worse off for gaming that’s not casual single player experiences

1080p on 34" is not ideal but not bad either, for wow text etc it wouldnt be great but general gaming it wil be okay.
    1440 is without doubt the sweetspot of gaming looks great on everything from 27" +

WOW and COD @1440 is easy mode for hardware tbh.

Im tempted to buy this one myself but not sure if its a big enough upgrade over my current Dell S2716DG 27
    https://www.dell.com/en-ie/shop/dell-32-curved-gaming-monitor-s3220dgf/apd/210-atvc/monitors-monitor-accessories#techspecs_section

Dcully wrote: »
    1080p on 34" is not ideal but not bad either, for wow text etc it wouldnt be great but general gaming it wil be okay.
    1440 is without doubt the sweetspot of gaming looks great on everything from 27" +

WOW and COD @1440 is easy mode for hardware tbh.

Im tempted to buy this one myself but not sure if its a big enough upgrade over my current Dell S2716DG 27
    https://www.dell.com/en-ie/shop/dell-32-curved-gaming-monitor-s3220dgf/apd/210-atvc/monitors-monitor-accessories#techspecs_section

Yeah looking at 27 inch 1440p at 144hz looks like a nice pick.

Hardware unboxed had a good video recently about some recommended picks at that range but don’t see the MSI or dell they mention anywhere in stock. Have a voucher I’m looking to burn so trying Irish retailers where possible

TheDoc wrote: »
    Yeah looking at 27 inch 1440p at 144hz looks like a nice pick.

Hardware unboxed had a good video recently about some recommended picks at that range but don’t see the MSI or dell they mention anywhere in stock. Have a voucher I’m looking to burn so trying Irish retailers where possible

If you are after a 27" the best around at the moment is the LG27850GL its something else. I just sold one after 3 mths of use and Im telling you it was stellar.

And you can pick them up for around €450.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

It's not the best but it's available at least and is one of the best. The Dell and MSI ones are better but can't be got.

Best Sammy G7. (Pricier than the rest and curved)
    Second MSI MAG274QRF-QD (Can't be got)
    Third - Dell S2721DGFA (Can't be got)
    Then the GL850.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Dell S2721DGFA can be bought if you're willing to wait until March for it to ship.

BloodBath wrote: »
    It's not the best but it's available at least and is one of the best. The Dell and MSI ones are better but can't be got.

Then the GL850.

They must be only recently launched are they? And no doubt more expensive....either way you really would not be dissapointed with the LG. Must have a gander at the others.

;)

Then the GL850.

Just had a flick on some Irish retailers and the LG doesn't appear in stock either.

Samsung G5 looks a decent price and spec.

Seems I might have to ditch the idea of using my me2u voucher in this en devour

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    They must be only recently launched are they? And no doubt more expensive....either way you really would not be dissapointed with the LG. Must have a gander at the others.

;)

They are both fairly new. The dell uses the same panel as the GL850 but it performs a bit better and goes to 165hz.

The MSI is new, I haven't seen it in stock anywhere yet. A different IPS panel technology that's got much better contrast than the other 2. Also 165hz.

The Samsung G line are all VA but by far the best VA panels on the market with much better contrast than any of the IPS panels and it's 240hz. But they are all curved.

There's a bunch of 1440p 240hz IPS panels coming out this year as well.

• Advertisement

They are both fairly new. The dell uses the same panel as the GL850 but it performs a bit better and goes to 165hz.

The MSI is new, I haven't seen it in stock anywhere yet. A different IPS panel technology that's got much better contrast than the other 2. Also 165hz.

The Samsung G line are all VA but by far the best VA panels on the market with much better contrast than any of the IPS panels and it's 240hz. But they are all curved.

There's a bunch of 1440p 240hz IPS panels coming out this year as well.

I personally would not use a VA or TN panel after using a good IPS panel. I like my colour too much....

AFAIK Casekings.de are getting the LG in stock any day now....I emailed them. Also laptops direct or the other company they trade as Buydirect I think are the largest supplier of LG monitors in UK and Ireland. I rang LG direct when I wanted the 38 LG and they told me they are your best bet for a monitor.

I personally would not use a VA or TN panel after using a good IPS panel. I like my colour too much....

AFAIK Casekings.de are getting the LG in stock any day now....I emailed them. Also laptops direct or the other company they trade as Buydirect I think are the largest supplier of LG monitors in UK and Ireland. I rang LG direct when I wanted the 38 LG and they told me they are your best bet for a monitor.

VA has the best picture quality and colors/contrast. The only down side is it doesn't handle dark transitions as well as IPS so it can be worse in motion. You get what's known as dark/black smearing which can leave a trail in motion. I think the 240hz Samsung G series overcomes this though. The 144Hz G5 doesn't.

Well the Alienware AW3821DW landed today....and I am smitten. Cant get over it, it really is a work of art and zero problems in relation to fan noise or bleeding at edges etc. Packaging was insane, took me an age to un-pack it and the stand should come with a health warning its that heavy.

Needed a little bit of calibration but I DL an ICC profile and it seems to be 100% to my eye.

Will post up a few pics later if I remember but beers in the fridge, kids off skool....so Im going noob hunting tonight in various games!

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭buzzerxx

Well the Alienware AW3821DW landed today....and I am smitten. Cant get over it, it really is a work of art and zero problems in relation to fan noise or bleeding at edges etc. Packaging was insane, took me an age to un-pack it and the stand should come with a health warning its that heavy.

Needed a little bit of calibration but I DL an ICC profile and it seems to be 100% to my eye.

Will post up a few pics later if I remember but beers in the fridge, kids off skool....so Im going noob hunting tonight in various games!

Congratulations, great choice. Looking forward to the pics. :)

My AW3821DW also arrived, haven't been able to take it out of the box yet & likely won't be able to play on it until Friday.

I'm getting to the point I think I'll just ignore the voucher and just go buy myself a new monitor. Whatever about struggling to find any stock, I'm sure something will come up.

Toying between the Samsung or MSI Optix. Or a Dell one if its available anywhere

Still have some reservations about my gaming on it though, all about performance being competitive for me, playing very few if any single player things these days

Just a few pics of the monitor if anyone wants to see it. I have some in there with the stand on and with the monitor arm on. I love the stand but the arm is so much better in terms of freedom and alot less clutter and looks cleaner.

These were taken literally just after setup so have to clean up the wires etc.

Took a pic of the back of the monitor aswell, the coloured RGB is not very bright at all its more of a subtle defused light.

[URL="[img]https://i.imgur.com/OPIGz91l.jpg[/img]"]OPIGz91l.jpg[/URL]

Destiny 2 with the Anarchy, I swear the pictures does no justice its Razor sharp the details on some weapons in D2 is mental.
    [URL="[img]https://i.imgur.com/Yf8Livsl.jpg[/img]"]Yf8Livsl.jpg[/URL]

[URL="[url=https://imgur.com/MkdTRR0][img]http://i.imgur.com/MkdTRR0h.jpg[/img][/url]"][/url]MkdTRR0h.jpg

[URL="[img]https://i.imgur.com/f4tO1Zhl.jpg[/img]"]
    f4tO1Zhl.jpg[/URL]

The little lad genuinely thinks Iron Man crashed into the man cave.....every few mins he looks over and says "Daddy I think he is moving!!!"
    [URL="[img]https://i.imgur.com/9SxmOGRl.jpg[/img]"]9SxmOGRl.jpg[/URL]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

nice speaker choice ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

for comparision, the 34" version. given the back of my monitors are visible(not against the wall) the cable hiding on the AW3420dw is a huge plus

yj1a4URl.jpg

xBeHD8Tl.jpg

gPtG0uPl.jpg

ijB8sqUl.jpg

and for sound....

QbyWibel.jpg

Savage setup there mossym.

• Advertisement

Didnt do much noob hunting lastnight at all, i was your nemesis in Hell Let Loose killed you 6 times on Omaha map :)
    Enjoy the monitor sick yoke!

What make are your floor standing speakers @mossym? I've a nice pair of Dali speakers but am looking at getting a nice set of floor standing one's some time this year.

They're Bowers and Wilkins 803's. Superb speakers, they are not the current generation but they were my some day i'll own those speakers for many years, and i figured if i ever got them i'd never let them go. have them a few years and now obviously i'm tempted by something else:)

the last pic is a bit old, there is now a matching 18" sub on the right hand side as well. built them myself, (as i did the speakers on the wall you can see in the earlier pics) but i'd put them up against anything on the market and fancy their chances

xQ8PzaSl.jpg

MEniPJwl.jpg

tTjeGS7l.jpg

i know this is well off topic, will stop now:)

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

Just a few pics of the monitor if anyone wants to see it. I have some in there with the stand on and with the monitor arm on. I love the stand but the arm is so much better in terms of freedom and alot less clutter and looks cleaner.
    [/URL]

That looks pretty sweet. What monitor did you have before that? I have a predator 27" QHD 144Hz, I'm wondering how it would compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Luck100 wrote: »
    That looks pretty sweet. What monitor did you have before that? I have a predator 27" QHD 144Hz, I'm wondering how it would compare.

There are many Acer Predator 27in QHD 144Hz panels out there.
    For example, I have the TN panel, product code XB271HUAbmiprz
    There are also IPS panels, like XB271HUbmiprz.
    See, only one letter difference in the product code, but the difference between them is huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

JoyPad wrote: »
    There are many Acer Predator 27in QHD 144Hz panels out there.
    For example, I have the TN panel, product code XB271HUAbmiprz
    There are also IPS panels, like XB271HUbmiprz.
    See, only one letter difference in the product code, but the difference between them is huge.

I have the IPS panel.

Lads how much was shipping with them Dell Alienware beasts ?
    Any customs etc?
    Im seriously considering this yoke

https://www.dell.com/en-ie/shop/alienware-27-gaming-monitor-aw2721d/apd/210-axnu/monitors-monitor-accessories

Any customs etc?

https://www.dell.com/en-ie/shop/alienware-27-gaming-monitor-aw2721d/apd/210-axnu/monitors-monitor-accessories
    Free shipping.

And talk to a rep, ask for a discount!

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Free shipping.

And talk to a rep, ask for a discount!

You mean the chat support crowd on the site?

• Advertisement

Any customs etc?

Had my 34 in just over a week from order.

Advertisement