Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultra Wide Monitors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Dcully wrote: »
    Didnt do much noob hunting lastnight at all, i was your nemesis in Hell Let Loose killed you 6 times on Omaha map :)
    Enjoy the monitor sick yoke!

Never even coped you fella, I was on the Guinness last night so that prolly didnt help.

I will get my revenge, you obviously not Dcully in HLL :confused:

Luck100 wrote: »
    That looks pretty sweet. What monitor did you have before that? I have a predator 27" QHD 144Hz, I'm wondering how it would compare.

I went from a 10yr old 24" 60 hz to the LG27850GL that I had for about 2 mths, really like that so tried to get the 38" version. But with the brexit ****e nowhere had it taht got deliver it, then I was suggested the AW3821DW by a friend and I am delighted he did tbh. They are more or less identical panels but the stand and the warranty on the Alienware is streets ahead.

Obviously its a big monitor but not stupidly so, the gentle curve is the plus for me. If it was that extreme curve I would not like it, very good to gamed on with Destiny 2, Forza 7, Hell Let Loose, MSFS2020 and Control all tested and no probs.

TBH, I would have paid the €1700 asking price Im so happy with it.

Only downside I can find is that the monitor stand does not go as high as I would like....but its personal preference. I say another inch or so would be perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    I went from a 10yr old 24" 60 hz to the LG27850GL that I had for about 2 mths, really like that so tried to get the 38" version. But with the brexit ****e nowhere had it taht got deliver it, then I was suggested the AW3821DW by a friend and I am delighted he did tbh. They are more or less identical panels but the stand and the warranty on the Alienware is streets ahead.

Obviously its a big monitor but not stupidly so, the gentle curve is the plus for me. If it was that extreme curve I would not like it, very good to gamed on with Destiny 2, Forza 7, Hell Let Loose, MSFS2020 and Control all tested and no probs.

TBH, I would have paid the €1700 asking price Im so happy with it.

Only downside I can find is that the monitor stand does not go as high as I would like....but its personal preference. I say another inch or so would be perfect.

Any issues using it on the monitor arm? Or do you prefer the stand for some reason? You've got me seriously considering it. But then I think I'd have to upgrade my 1080ti...

Luck100 wrote: »
    Any issues using it on the monitor arm? Or do you prefer the stand for some reason? You've got me seriously considering it. But then I think I'd have to upgrade my 1080ti...

No issues whatsoever on the monitor arm, its only a cheap ErGear one off Amazon. But once its 100 Vesa mount and takes 8kg its all good, Its just alot cleaner off the stand.

You deffo would have to upgrade the 1080ti to power this. I find that my rig is running warmer now that the 3090 is getting a good workout, id say it was barely working out on the 27" 1440p.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Now I want the Alienware 38. Did anyone try it with a PS4? Black bars on the side or stretched image?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Never even coped you fella, I was on the Guinness last night so that prolly didnt help.

I will get my revenge, you obviously not Dcully in HLL :confused:
    No just Cully.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

dmigsy wrote: »
    Now I want the Alienware 38. Did anyone try it with a PS4? Black bars on the side or stretched image?

You're not the only one with the itch to upgrade to the 38" Alienware.

This thread could cost me a lot of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

mossym wrote: »
    QbyWibel.jpg

What is this TV bench?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

grogi wrote: »
    What is this TV bench?

one you won't find anywhere else, it's my own design. houses all my gear, the power amps (3 of them for the 7.2.2 setup),processor, turntable, switches etc)

asJG23Kl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

mossym wrote: »
    one you won't find anywhere else, it's my own design. houses all my gear, the power amps (3 of them for the 7.2.2 setup),processor, turntable, switches etc)

asJG23Kl.jpg

Excellent. Is it DIY or a carpenter did it for you with your design?

I'm looking for something exactly like that :)

• Advertisement

i had it built by a local joinery place(no longer there), but more out of time than anything, woudln't have been too difficult to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

You mean the chat support crowd on the site?

Yes, there's options to talk to the Sales people. They care more about making commission than selling for RRP.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Yes, there's options to talk to the Sales people. They care more about making commission than selling for RRP.

Thats what I did and haggled like a mad bastard...:pac:

So im looking now at the S2721DGFA reviews are great but its out of stock on the .ie site but instock on the uk site i also got €140 of via codes so its a great deal but what can i expect with customs?
    Sales chat just said shipping is free.

i'd be waiting on it to be in stock on the .ie site to be honest, you'll get hammered with charges bringing it in from the UK.

for reference, the right hand monitor in my 3 in the pics above is the S2721dgfa (replaced hte s21719 which was a TN panel, the 21 is an IPS). cracking monitor. was going to be my main unti i ordered the Alienware

I think ill hold off for a bit, my current 2560x1440 1ms 144hz gsync Dell is a great yoke, colours are almost as good as my 21"LG IPS 2 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

So im looking now at the S2721DGFA reviews are great but its out of stock on the .ie site but instock on the uk site i also got €140 of via codes so its a great deal but what can i expect with customs?
    Sales chat just said shipping is free.

I ordered one of these on Monday from the .ie site. The estimated delivery was march 1st and I was happy to wait. Got invoiced for it yesterday and its shipped already. Should be here soon.

I will be taking a very good look at it when I take it out to make sure it isn't a return from someone else... but just an FYI. You might get it sooner than you think if you do order.

Will let you know what its like when it arrives

Squall wrote: »
    I ordered one of these on Monday from the .ie site. The estimated delivery was march 1st and I was happy to wait. Got invoiced for it yesterday and its shipped already. Should be here soon.

I will be taking a very good look at it when I take it out to make sure it isn't a return from someone else... but just an FYI. You might get it sooner than you think if you do order.

Will let you know what its like when it arrives

I would appreciate that thanks, it looks the pick of the bunch for 1440p with the exception of the alienware AW2721D but thats a lot more expensive.

qNPNPWR.jpg?1

Work in progress - going to put a shelf on the wall & organise a bit more, but for now this will do.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Work in progress - going to put a shelf on the wall & organise a bit more, but for now this will do.

Well, 1st impressions fella?

• Advertisement

Well, 1st impressions fella?

It's. So. BIG!

And colours really pop.

So tempted to upgrade to a 1440p ultrawide and use my current monitor in portrait mode for charts and other things when playing flight sims.

But I guess it's a bit pointless with a GTX 1070?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I'd be thinking of a gpu upgrade first. 1070 barely cuts it for 1440p, nm uw.

Trying to upgrade a gpu atm though is impossible unless you want to pay way over the odds.

I've had the Alienware 38 in my cart for the last couple of days. Couple of things that are stopping me pulling the trigger:

1) Whether there's that much of a benefit over the budget 34" 3440x1440 monitor 100hz (Crossover 34U100) I have already. Anyone made a similar move? Thoughts?
    2) OLED FOMO. The OLED TVs that like the LG 48 CX look amazing and if a sub-40" inch once came out I'd want that instead. None seem imminent though

Think I might sit on it for a while.

^^ There is a 38" CX out already.

^^ There is a 38" CX out already.

You sure? Can only see the 48" and larger

• Registered Users Posts: 54,339 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

You sure? Can only see the 48" and larger

There's no LG 38 CX monitor/tV

Headshot wrote: »
    There's no LG 38 CX monitor/tV

Thanks. That's what I thought. Thought my googling had failed me there for a minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,339 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Thanks. That's what I thought. Thought my googling had failed me there for a minute.

God I wish they were though.

• Advertisement

My bad. Yizr right. 48" is the smallest.

Advertisement