Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultra Wide Monitors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

dmigsy wrote: »
    I've had the Alienware 38 in my cart for the last couple of days. Couple of things that are stopping me pulling the trigger:

1) Whether there's that much of a benefit over the budget 34" 3440x1440 monitor 100hz (Crossover 34U100) I have already. Anyone made a similar move? Thoughts?
    2) OLED FOMO. The OLED TVs that like the LG 48 CX look amazing and if a sub-40" inch once came out I'd want that instead. None seem imminent though

Think I might sit on it for a while.

32" OLED are coming.
    https://m.hexus.net/tech/news/monitors/147261-lg-intros-32-inch-uhd-ultrafine-32ep950-oled-monitor/

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Also LG 42" OLED tvs on the way. But I doubt any of these OLEDS will be anything other than the usual UHD format (16:9 aspect and 3840x2160 resolution).

https://www.techradar.com/news/new-42-inch-oled-tvs-are-on-the-way-but-which-tv-brands-will-get-them

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I just realized myself and a few more have been going a bit OT in this thread with our 1440 monitor discussions in an ultrawide thread.
    Apologies boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,685 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Seeing all the alienwares has me mighty tempted to upgrade from my Samsung SJ55W.....

Must resist.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Seeing all the alienwares has me mighty tempted to upgrade from my Samsung SJ55W.....

Must resist.....
    Seeing the Alienwares all be delivered easily is tormenting me as I can't get one in Germany until March (New electric standard here has Dell holding it back until then) and the Acer X38P was supposed to be in the store today for pickup but I've heard nothing yet on my order. I even had to spend at least 600 more for the Acer than people seem to be getting the Alienware for here :(.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

One thing I will say which I totally did not count on, the extra heat coming from the 3090 powering the new monitor is no joke, the LG27GL850 1440p must not have been even poking the dragon. This res 3840x1600 woke the 3090 by standing on its balls!

System temps up by about 6-7c and the card is up about 10c. with serious gaming sessions. Overall my rig is still extremely cool and working well the temps are well below average but still went up a fair bit.

Gaming for hrs I am now late 60c on both card and cpu...I do have an aggressive OC on the 3900x @ 4.5ghz all the same.

Just something to be aware of.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

i would check one thing. i don't think it's the 3090. i have a 3090 too, when i connected my 34 inch, like you i noticed my system temp go up 8/9C. what i found was that some alienware software was automatically installed (presume by windows update). killing the software and the temps went back down to normal, even though the overall load looks low i think it's making the CPU boost spike and raising the temps. have uninstalled the software and my temps are right back where they were

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I think my son would have liked that but would now likely find it hard to trade down from his 55" OLED monitor.

My Acer just arrived, quickly set it up and at first glance the colours seem a lot better than my old 34GK950F.
    The response seems just as quick as the 34GK950F which is an big improvement on my old Acer X34.
    I haven't bothered overclocking it yet. Will try upload a picture later after work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

is there a go to 1440p UW high refresh monitor in and around the 500 range?

• Advertisement

is there a go to 1440p UW high refresh monitor in and around the 500 range?
    IIYAMA G-MASTER GB3461WQSU-B1 RED EAGLE is a 3440x1440 144hz ips monitor which is around that price with the only limit really being its not curved. I was very tempted by this one.Its about 465 over here in Germany so should get in Ireland for around 500.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Dcully wrote: »
    I would appreciate that thanks, it looks the pick of the bunch for 1440p with the exception of the alienware AW2721D but thats a lot more expensive.

So my S2721DGFA arrived today and I am really liking it so far. Went overkill and put on some latex gloves before opening (was convinced it was a return!). Thankfully doesn't look to be. Packaging was all fine and only noticed a few small smudges on the back and didn't look to have been wiped down so paranoia satisfied.

I did a dead pixel test and thankfully all good. No dead pixels. Hooked it up at lunch time and have been using it all afternoon for work. I'm coming from a 1080p monitor so that extra screen real-estate has been very handy (also justifies the part rebate work will be giving me)

Was waiting until dark to do a proper check on IPS glow. Most noticeable in the corners as expected. Its fairly minimal and really only noticeable on a full black screen. For me, very easy to live with. No backlight bleed as far as I can see. Colors are all good as well. Text is sharp (honestly will be very handy for work)

Overall I'm very happy with it so far

I cant really test it gaming yet though as my new components are spread around the island at the moment! Hopefully will get to put it together shortly and give an update

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

deceit wrote: »
    IIYAMA G-MASTER GB3461WQSU-B1 RED EAGLE is a 3440x1440 144hz ips monitor which is around that price with the only limit really being its not curved. I was very tempted by this one.Its about 465 over here in Germany so should get in Ireland for around 500.

Interesting, see that they also have the GB3466WQSU-B1 which is curved but is a VA panel.

Interesting, see that they also have the GB3466WQSU-B1 which is curved but is a VA panel.
    I've tried a few VA panels and I have to admit they wouldn't be for me, I'd only ever pick Ips or TN.

I've tried a few VA panels and I have to admit they wouldn't be for me, I'd only ever pick Ips or TN.

I agree. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭dmigsy

My friend reminded me of the oldest trick in the book:
    Get a sales rep & ask for a discount.

Got it for 1142 EUR :cool:

Just ordered the Alienware 38. For 1133 :cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

dmigsy wrote: »
    Just ordered the Alienware 38. For 1133 :cool::cool:

Oh you jammy...! :pac:

Enjoy!

I feel a bit ripped off spending about 2100 on the Acer X38p. Only thing keeping me being pissed is the zero backlight bleed or dead pixels.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Isn't the Samsung G9 a lot better than that both in specs and price.

BloodBath wrote: »
    One word VA. I tried it in store and even though its better than most VA panels it still have the wierd blurry issue that wrecks havok with my eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,078 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The G9 has a 1000R curve. For me that makes it repulsive.

For comparison the Alienware 34 has a 1900R curve.

One word VA. I tried it in store and even though its better than most VA panels it still have the wierd blurry issue that wrecks havok with my eyes.

That's because it's not set up right out of the box.

At 240hz it suffers bad overshoot. Put it down to 200hz and it's golden.
    Lumen wrote: »
    The G9 has a 1000R curve. For me that makes it repulsive.

For comparison the Alienware 34 has a 1900R curve.

Would normally agree but on something that wide the curve is good. For gaming at least.

The G9 is just too wide....I was looking at them very hard, but its just overkill IMHO. And like was said the hard curve is too much, its one of the things I like best about the AW3821 the relaxed curve.

Great Monitor and looks savage but Id prefer the IPS screen myself.

Well that's a good enough reason.

Samsung were stupid putting it at 240hz default profile though. A lot of manufacturers are overly aggressive with their target refresh rates or overdrive settings and it hurts the picture quality in motion.

Like Deceit was put off it after viewing it in store because at 240hz it looks bad. If it had been at 200hz, which is still overkill and better than 99% of other monitors, you wouldn't have seen any inverse ghosting and might have bought it.

Samsung were stupid putting it at 240hz default profile though. A lot of manufacturers are overly aggressive with their target refresh rates or overdrive settings and it hurts the picture quality in motion.

Like Deceit was put off it after viewing it in store because at 240hz it looks bad. If it had been at 200hz, which is still overkill and better than 99% of other monitors, you wouldn't have seen any inverse ghosting and might have bought it.
    Yea I probably would have as it would have been less than this monitor but with more specs but saying that travel between Germany/Ireland when I drive would be a nightmare with it because of the size of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Would the previous 120hz model not be a good option?

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Would the previous 120hz model not be a good option?

Probably not if it's also VA. The G series is the first to solve the inverse ghosting problems of VA monitors according to hardware unboxed at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Have yo disagree on the G9 in terms of the width and curve, very tempted to buy one but the 5700XT would not be up to driving it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Surprised by the VA negativity .
    Hardware unboxed lean towards VA panels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Fitz II

The curve on the G9 is perfect, flatter ones make you have to turn your head rather than move your eyes. Combined with the other specs its an almost perfect screen, now that the issues are sorted its even better. Bit pricey but a stunner.

Advertisement