Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultra Wide Monitors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 TheCrimsonClown

Hope so! Syncreon seem pretty useless though based on the many horror stories I've read so I'm fully expecting them to mess it up spectacularly.

Hopefully yours is on the way shortly. It seems like you had to get an order in within the first few minutes of them opening up to have any chance of getting an estimated delivery over the next week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,332 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Aye. Some horror stories regarding Syncreon alright, but they really are just middle men between Dell and the couriers.

Looks like my order may not make today, was finally handed to DPD in Athlone this morning but may have missed the day's outgoings. Still, at least its somewhere now as opposed to just in the ether.

Some reports of damaged boxes doing the rounds which is a little concerning, but hopefully just isolated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Mine is delayed.

Delivery date pushed from 30th March until 24th of April :(

Re: AW3423DW .. Showed up last week but only had limited time with it over the weekend, but initial impressions are pretty positive.

Box arrived in perfect condition, despite some of the stories doing the rounds, and the screen is relatively well packaged in any case. Installed fine, DP cable I use needs a bit of finagling due to the limited space in the back but worked fine. Rear plastic cover is a bit flimsy, but who cares once it's in place and out of sight. Not to everyone's taste, with regard to the predominately white colour, but it's growing on me.

Can immediately see the colour improvement, but probably need some adjustment in definition after coming from an IPS, but that's something that will come in time with proper calibration etc. Definitely needs some adjustment on the colour saturation front, but that will also be a target in time. Some users referencing a simple sRGB profile with relevant brightness and contrast adjustments as being a good jumping point, but not had the opportunity to tinker as of yet.

Didn't notice any fan noise but that's probably something that'll be noticeable with extended use, but overall first impressions are that it's not an issue in a normal room setup. Purely running at 144Hz for the time being as opposed to 175, 10-bit depth adjusted in the Nvidia control etc, but very impressed with the likes of Doom Eternal, God of War, Halo, Alien Isolation, Arkham Knight where the contrast capability of the screen tech really shines. Most people would be familiar with OLED tech on the TV front by now, but it's initially strange seeing proper blacks on the Windows desktop etc, no IPS glow, no light bleed etc. Real depth to the image now.

Downsides......max height adjustment is a shade too low for me on my setup so will have to look at that, and, TBH, like most things in life, I wish it had a few more inches as it looks relatively small in situ due to the slim panel and curvature. 38in model down the line would be very nice.

Good first impressions from Vincent over on HDTVtest

• Registered Users Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Didn't know this thread existed! 😳

Ordered the AW QD OLED last week as well. I thought I was in early enough, but I didn't get my confirmation email until late that evening, so I was a bit further down the queue it seems - shipping date has now been delayed from next week to April 6th, and delivery estimated date moved from March 30th to April 28th. I can live with that though.

This will be my first ultrawide. Initially I was planning on waiting until 32" 4K OLED gaming monitors were available (for console use as well as PC). But my dad's monitor is acting up, so I figured I can give him my 27" IPS and get on this bandwagon!

Because a week has passed since ordering, the pending payment has been returned to my bank account. So I'm worried now that there could be a problem with the payment when being processed again next month... Looks like there'll be a long wait before these are back in stock! I may give AIB a shout in the morning just to put my mind at ease.

• Advertisement

I got onto Dell Chat there for the 2nd time and they offered to provide additional discount (I got student discount already). But they can only do it after the monitor arrives apparently. He didn't clarify how much. Might be worth chancing your arm too. Same goes to anyone else who is still waiting.

Thanks. I saw some UK customers got an extra 5 or 10 percent off alright, so I'll definitely chance my arm after it enters the Production or Shipped stage. 👍️

It doesn't look like anything is happening today though, so I'm resigning myself to having the delivery date bumped again.

Yep I'm expecting the same.

The rep on chat said we'd get an update either way in the next 24 hours with an updated ETA.

As we expected, bumped into May now. Our only hope is that people start cancelling because of the wait! 😂

Saw some chatter elsewhere about order statuses having changed to "In Production" for some people. Had a look just there and mine has been updated too. Delivery date remains the same though, but hopefully this means things are being sorted. Has yours changed at all, @T-b0n3 ?

• Advertisement

Just checked and mine also in production now. Very promising. Thanks for the heads up.

Fingers crossed!

Saw more chat on that other site that some orders have now been shipped. Mine hasn't changed status yet, but the CANCEL ORDER button is now greyed out!

Mine has been shipped. Hoping you wake up to see the yours has been shipped too. Lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

what date did you guys order?

Didn't get a chance to put an order in until the 25th and I'm currently looking at Aug 5th as delivery date. Hoping it's a lot sooner than that!

I ordered the morning of the 22nd. Looking on reddit, it definitely seems as if things are moving quicker for people in general, so fingers crossed you'll be in the next batch or two!

I also ordered on the morning of the 22nd as soon as they dropped basically.

Thanks lads, hopefully the estimate gets revised.

Hard believe a 3 day difference in ordering results in a 4 month difference in delivery, though I know it's a hugely in-demand monitor.

Excellent. Good to see reports of peoples orders moving.

All I can say is that I think it's worth the wait if looking for a straight high-end gaming monitor. Very impressive performance and while I still need to find a sweet spot with some application usage, such as normal Windows productivity-work, it's gaming performance is through the roof straight out of the box with little in the way of tweaking. Even non-HDR material exhibits a fidelity that is probably as good as it gets, with any high contrast environments really standing out.

The only downside is the somewhat non-standard method of HDR support in Windows which takes some getting used to. The likes of Doom Eternal is unique in that it auto switches HDR mode, whereas the vast majority need to be manually switched prior to launching (albeit via hotkey) for support to be enabled within game. A small inconvenience but far preferable to leaving the desktop permanently in HDR mode. Hopefully something that'll change going forward.

Yeah, I just can't see anything on the horizon that will beat this for gaming. I've been more or less waiting for something like this since my last good CRT died around 2010!

Is the fan audible on your unit McDermot?

• Advertisement

No. Not at all, and I'd be somewhat picky about noise coming from the PC etc

It could be luck of the draw, and perhaps there are some who are more bothered than others, but running for hours on end @144Hz I've never heard them at all, certainly over anything else in the room.

I guess it possible some may stress the G-Sync module at 175Hz etc, and maybe that's where some of the complaints come from, but I've not found it noticeable at all.

My only issue of note right now is the adjustable height is a little off on my setup, but will soon be moving to an ergo arm when the desk is sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,076 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I just can't see anything on the horizon that will beat this for gaming.

IMO there's a strong case for a 42" LG C2 running custom UW resolution (3840x1600 or whatever) for PC gaming and 4k 16:9 for console gaming and desktop use. It would be limited to 120hz max but that seems reasonable for the amount of pixels being pushed.

For desktop PC use (i.e. text) there are reports of issues with all OLED subpixel layouts (WRGB and triangular RGB) so there is currently no one tech to rule them all.

Yep, did consider that option, especially as I have consoles as well, but it's just too big for me and my set up. I'll definitely be switching to 32" QD-OLED or similar tech when they're readily available though.

Dell initially offered me €50 good will gesture (for the delays), I pushed for more, and they have now offered 100GBP, not sure if the GBP is a mistake or not, but either way I'll take €100 or £100. So worth chasing up on for others who have ordered. Due for delivery today between 3-4pm.

I've seen other people who tried to get the discount being flat out refused. Guess it's luck of the draw which customer service rep you get. Definitely worth trying though!

Let us know how delivery and set-up goes... I won't get to open mine until late tonight. 😌

the lads that received this monitor how are you finding it after a months use?

still no change on mine from the estimated ship date of 29th of July. 50% of the way there since order date of 25th of March..

Sorry I intended to come back but have been too busy enjoying the glorious QD-OLED.

I'm very happy, pitch black blacks, great performance, and no issues at all from me.

Felt like a big upgrade from my Crossover 34u100, which I expected despite the same size/res.

Really enjoying mine too, despite it arriving with a dead pixel. 🙄

I thought about sending it back. I mean, given the price it should be perfect. But I'd have been waiting months for a replacement, and it's in an area where I don't notice it too much of the time thankfully. They gave me another 5% off too which helped with the decision!

Besides that little issue, it's great. As T-b0n3 says, the pitch blacks are brill. Makes a huge difference to all kinds of content, especially coming from an IPS with terrible glow, and a TN panel before that. And it feels really fast too thanks to the pixel response times. The fan isn't too loud on it, although I've seen some people complain that theirs is. Still, there's a Samsung and (newly announced) MSI variant on the way and they won't have the G-Sync module, so won't have the fan if that's a concern.

Overall, very happy with it once the initial disappointment of the deal pixel passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

In the market for a new monitor, sub €400 if possible.

Torn between 32inch 4k and an Ultrawide. Ideally need 1 Citrix session running and then my own desktop too side by side.

Currently have two 21 inch 1080p monitors but they are both ancient (pushing 8 years).

Would the consensus be to go for an ultrawide or will I be OK splitting the Citirx and home desktop mention above on 21inch 4k (dell s3221qs)?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'm looking at the Samsung 49" Odyssey G9 Neo as my next monitor to go with a new Zen 5 / 7xxxx graphic card (or possibly a zen 4 7 5800X3D / 6900XT or 3080ti; will depend on availability and pricing and yes my wallet will be crying for months afterwards). It would replace my current setup of 2x 24" and allow me to plug my company laptop into it and do the split screen set up easier as needed. The alternative would be something like 2x Samsung 27" Odyssey G7 instead.

I'm curious for those who've gone to the larger sizes from dual monitor how it worked out for you? I've tried the 32" curved before and that was simply a no go from screen space etc. which is why I'm looking at 48"+ as the size requirement (but it needs to do gaming as well at that money...).

Advertisement