Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultra Wide Monitors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

BloodBath wrote: »
    I think it's more of a case of the backlight strength rather than the panel itself.

350-400 is a very small difference and it could well be the same panel.
    I was thinking about the diff. between Aoc and Iiyama.
    I have window in front of the desk, so few extra candels would be usefull.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Iiyama is flat if it's the one I'm thinking of.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

yoshiktk wrote: »
    I was thinking about the diff. between Aoc and Iiyama.
    I have window in front of the desk, so few extra candels would be usefull.

You will probably never need anything that high tbh, even in a brightish room.

Around 200-250 is comfortable for long use. Maybe a bit higher for a bright room.

I've settled at 60-65% brightness on my 400 nit monitor.

BloodBath wrote: »
    You will probably never need anything that high tbh, even in a brightish room.

Around 200-250 is comfortable for long use. Maybe a bit higher for a bright room.

I've settled at 60-65% brightness on my 400 nit monitor.

As im blind like a bat I prefer high brightness, maybe could try lower and see can I get used to it.

As for the flat Iiyama
    Ocuk forum
    Few reports of panel lottery and dead pixels. Whats funny, on their polish website they state 30 days no dead pixels warranty, where on the uk one you wont find the same. Only that few bad pixels arent covered, their pixel policy takes you back to main support page.
    Now due offer on Ocuk the flat vs the curve is 405€ vs 445€.

Edit:
    After coin toss, I orderes the Iiyama Gb3461, the flat one.
    Hopefuly will get it before weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

Are you likely to get a decent UW monitor for 250-300 euro? Or would I need to add another 100/200 to budget?

To be used solely for work.

If that split screen on the monitor was a feature it would be great too to.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Are you likely to get a decent UW monitor for 250-300 euro? Or would I need to add another 100/200 to budget?

To be used solely for work.

If that split screen on the monitor was a feature it would be great too to.

Thanks

Something like this?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07J4CZYND/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabt1_dlC_SkhWFbSZ5TH1K?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I pulled the trigger on the G7 32". £130 off on Amazon at the minute. I better not regret it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

Thank you.

I was thinking something more along the lines of a 29 inch wide screen seeing as I currently have a regular 22 inch 16:9 monitor and moving to a 29 inch wide screen would have been a big jump anyway.

Am I as well to go for a 34 inch over a 29 inch?

Thanks

Thank you.

I was thinking something more along the lines of a 29 inch wide screen seeing as I currently have a regular 22 inch 16:9 monitor and moving to a 29 inch wide screen would have been a big jump anyway.

Thanks

After using 32 for an over a year now, I can say the bigger the better. At first it sounds to big, remember when 32 was tv size? But comfort of work is great, using scaling You can adjust the look to suit Your needs and preferences.
    Only question do You have desk space?
    The 34 will be around 80+ cm wide.

I pulled the trigger on the G7 32". £130 off on Amazon at the minute. I better not regret it. :pac:

It's gone up £50 now. Looks like i got in there at the right time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Thank you.

Thanks

I wouldn't worry about adjusting to a jump in size. I went from an ancient 22 inch 1080p to 38 inch curved recently

After a week I'd say I could barely remember the old one

Ordered one from Amazon for £403.28 delivered to Ireland. It's on back order but I'm in no rush. I've a Dell Ultrasharp U3415W if anyone is interested won't discuss cost here of course rules and all that. I'd have to get the Gigabyte first and make sure I'm happy with VA so not sure when I could let it go, but just putting it out there for the denizens of this forum before I flog it on adverts. Please let me know if this is not allowed and I'll do the usual adverts link on the correct thread.

Ordered the Iiyama direct in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'm very close to buying a 34" UW now, for work & play. Just need to convince the gf to let me...

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I'm very close to buying a 34" UW now, for work & play. Just need to convince the gf to let me...

Be a man! Just buy it....
    And spend whatever is left on nice flowers/wine/roofies*
    Or hotel room.

My wife gave up, She accepted the fact that im a gamer/pcmr member. It works both ways, whenever She wants to buy something I say yes sometimes and it works. Sometimes :cool:

Be a man! Just buy it....
    And spend whatever is left on nice flowers/wine/roofies*
    Or hotel room.

My wife gave up, She accepted the fact that im a gamer/pcmr member. It works both ways, whenever She wants to buy something I say yes sometimes and it works. Sometimes :cool:

Ahhhhhh :pac:

After she (very quickly) accepted, I fell into the monitor-review hole & have decided to wait until after CES next year.

Hmmmm... I see the Iiyama is £25 cheaper again at £375. January delivery though.

Edit: I see GSync has been removed on the Gigabyte website, although Amazon lists it as GSync compatible. Does that mean I won't get adaptive sync with nVidia cards or is the fact it supports FreeSync enough for ghetto Gsync?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭weisses

Ahhhhhh :pac:

After she (very quickly) accepted, I fell into the monitor-review hole & have decided to wait until after CES next year.

How did you get out ?

Still stuck down there

weisses wrote: »
    How did you get out ?

Still stuck down there

Basically, I'm waiting for true HDR monitors to be a thing.

Or for Samsung to make a G8 (1440p UW) to slot between G7 & G9.

Hmmmm... I see the Iiyama is £25 cheaper again at £375. January delivery though.

Edit: I see GSync has been removed on the Gigabyte website, although Amazon lists it as GSync compatible. Does that mean I won't get adaptive sync with nVidia cards or is the fact it supports FreeSync enough for ghetto Gsync?

Probably as users did report problems with gsync, they maybe decided to remove it as listed feature. As the panel doesnt have nvidia chip it uses Vesa standard, it looks that even a shaddy dp cable can cause a problem.
    Basically, I'm waiting for true HDR monitors to be a thing.

Or for Samsung to make a G8 (1440p UW) to slot between G7 & G9.
    Hdr? Tv? LgCx have great reviews.

Probably as users did report problems with gsync, they maybe decided to remove it as listed feature. As the panel doesnt have nvidia chip it uses Vesa standard, it looks that even a shaddy dp cable can cause a problem.

But it still had adaptive sync on nVidia cards? Haven't decided on the green team or the red team yet for my next GPU.

• Advertisement

But it still had adaptive sync on nVidia cards? Haven't decided on the green team or the red team yet for my next GPU.

Yes. Just have in mind both Iiyama and Xiaomi had flickering issues. Iiyama fixed it by firmware update, not sure about Xiaomi and others using that panel. Would wait and see whether is the same case with Gb.
    Im unhappy panda, my monitor meant to come tomorrow, wont be here until Monday. Darn it, already did plan my whole weekend for playing with it :D

Yes. Just have in mind both Iiyama and Xiaomi had flickering issues. Iiyama fixed it by firmware update, not sure about Xiaomi and others using that panel. Would wait and see whether is the same case with Gb.
    Im unhappy panda, my monitor meant to come tomorrow, wont be here until Monday. Darn it, already did plan my whole weekend for playing with it :D

Hmmm... more and more reasons to look at the Iiyama.

Went with the Iiyama - couple of quid cheaper and has USB ports. Ordered direct so should be here next week.

Hmmm... more and more reasons to look at the Iiyama.

Went with the Iiyama - couple of quid cheaper and has USB ports. Ordered direct so should be here next week.

Flat or curve?

Flat or curve?

Curved - really like curved monitors.

Thanks for the heads up about the flicker issue being fixed on these.

Curved - really like curved monitors.

Thanks for the heads up about the flicker issue being fixed on these.

I was talking to Dominic from KitGuru about that Iiyama UW as he was going to review it but it had the flickering issue and was told to send it back to be solved.

Maybe they have a FW update now but he said he couldn't solve it himself when he had the monitor.

I was talking to Dominic from KitGuru about that Iiyama UW as he was going to review it but it had the flickering issue and was told to send it back to be solved.

Maybe they have a FW update now but he said he couldn't solve it himself when he had the monitor.

They've a review up AFAIK and they say it's fixed. Look at you talking to the PC reviewer celebs! :pac:

They've a review up AFAIK and they say it's fixed. Look at you talking to the PC reviewer celebs! :pac:

I think it was problem with first batch of them.
    Have to say its nice to have guys which test the lower end of tech, its nice to watch ultra mega, over the top pc Linus makes but in the end its wayyyyy over my budget.

Now only have to find a decent desk arm, shame that gas ones need so much space.

I'm on their Discord server and he get's very involved with it which is good to see. Comes across as a very sound bloke.

F me almost got a heart attack.
    Without reason ive checked Dpd status just to see monitor delivered at 11. I was like whaaat? No rong, no phone. Thanks god that in Ireland there are decent people, the monitor was still in apt building hallway. In Poland it would be long gone. Ufff. Now time to clean the desk and install that puppy.

• Advertisement

You were lucky that wasn't lifted. Very poor showing from DPD. I deal with them in work and they've been getting worse of late with their service.

Advertisement