Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultra Wide Monitors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

I think it's all down to the Overdrive settings with Iiyama apparently setting the standard, AOC not being great and Gigabyte somewhere in the middle IIRC.

Monoprice have a Quantum Dot filter on theirs so better colours?

Edit: All this reminds me of the Catleaps a bit. First generation OC's like crazy but the later ones not so much - reading as much on Reddit. Hope they haven't made any other changes.

For now have the overdrive off, played only few high pace games, havent notice much of ghosting, only issue is out of box calibration. Its heavy on yellow, will have to play with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

€500 to spend.

Best value curved widescreen right now?

quarryman wrote: »
    €500 to spend.

Gigabyte, Aoc, Iiyama,Xiaomi,Dell?
    Depends what are your needs?
    Go thru last few pages, we all were in the uw pit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

€500 to spend.

For gaming? Probably the Iiyama GB3466WQSU-B1 Red Eagle. Be careful as there is a flat version also.

Edit: Bollocks it's gone back up in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

For gaming? Probably the Iiyama GB3466WQSU-B1 Red Eagle. Be careful as there is a flat version also.

Edit: Bollocks it's gone back up in price.

£440 on overclockers. Was it much cheaper?

Purpose is general use, light gaming.

• Advertisement

on overclockers. Was it much cheaper?

I think it was 440 or 420, dont remeber now exactly.
    On Amazon its 417 but with month of wait. Ebuyer have it on special now.
    Iiyama GB3466

£440 on overclockers. Was it much cheaper?

I had one on order for just under £400 shipped to Ireland. Really you should be aiming to pick one up for about that, the prices are all over the place. There is also the Monoprice Dark Matter 34 which was recently on sale for €356 delivered but is out of stock sadly.

If it's not for gaming per se you might prefer a 60Hz IPS panel though. Gaming panels (at this price point) tend to be VA.

Monday :( I'm on annual leave :D

on 49" monitors - I assume compatibility is a complete pain in the rear end? Been a while since I played with the likes of eyefinity.

I hear the G9 calling to me... it's saying save up, ditch VR and buy me :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,685 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

on 49" monitors - I assume compatibility is a complete pain in the rear end? Been a while since I played with the likes of eyefinity.

I hear the G9 calling to me... it's saying save up, ditch VR and buy me :pac:

WSGF has a community submitted list of games that support it, most mainstream titles do, especially any that support 21:9 anyways https://www.wsgf.org/

• Advertisement

So monitor (Darkmatter 34") arrived today - pretty impressed with UPS as they said Monday. However I'm confused. Have it set up with Freesync - putting games in to Fullscreen to avoid any issues but I prefer borderless window. I'm seeing the GPU utilisation go down, rather than the framerate go up when I lower settings, framerate seems to cap at 72 (exactly half of 144) and give the GPU (5700XT) a wee rest. Tried FO76 and GTA V so far. Is this expected behaviour? Get the occasional jump up in FPS in GTA V to 95 - 105.

Also maybe it's because I'm only getting 72FPS but what am I meant to be seeing here over my old 60Hz display? It does look a bit clearer in motion - maybe.

On the monitor itself it's not a premium feeling as the Dell U3415W but then it's a much cheaper until. Menu navigation is horrible. Love the more aggressive curve which is only making me wonder more about a 1000R curved 49" :pac: Defo needs some fiddling with calibrationwise.

Edit: Thanks to Amazon for stealing my 5600X I'm rocking a 3100 at the moment - could that also have something to do with it?

Edit: Hmmm seems it might just be the two games I picked - no such issue in Doom and I think I might be getting it with the higher frame rates.

Edit: Flickering in TW:WH2 and Stellaris, switching to windowed mode solved it. Monitor kicked itself down to 60Hz solving it - not ideal but 60FPS in that game is acceptable. Hmmm seems the only fix at any refresh is disable Freesync. Not great, not terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭ForestFire

My "like new" BenQ EX3501R bought pre black friday sales is still waiting a delivery date. They have no like new ones left so I hope the set aside this order when placed?

It was the same for a new g29 logitech wheel, no delivery date, now it has a delivery date but it shows out of stock, so again hoping they reserve these orders, but they have been waiting weeks already to ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,685 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Anyone have any recommendations for a decent arm mount for a 34" uw? Have an arctic z1 and just noticed that the actual pole has tilted and it's starting to wobble despite everything being tightened as much as it can be.

Have to say, I've been unconvinced by this high refresh malarkey for sometime. I even had a 27" high refresh panel for a while and sold it on as it turns out I wasn't playing the right type of games on it and didn't know about overdrive settings.

Now that I've had some time with the Dark Matter 34" and used it in Games like Doom, even FO76 I can definitely notice the difference. I'm more accurate, things seem more fluid/smooth and it's just a better experience overall. I really didn't think I'd say this but I'm a convert!

Even though some panels are marketed at high refresh some of them can't hit the advertised speeds.
    Yer man from Hardware Unboxed always goes into detail about that aspect of a monitor when he reviews it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Anyone got any suggestions for a g-sync compatible ultrawide that will be used for gaming.

Currently got 2 x 24" monitors and want to make the jump.
    AOC G2460pg (1920 x 1080 144Hz TN panel) and LG (IPS 60Hz panel)

Any suggestions with good refresh rates. I hear VA panels have some bad smearing which wouldn't be ideal as I think I would notice it TOO much to not be able to overlook. Any experiences?

Any suggestions? Budget would be about €500 max.

The Dark Matter I have is meant to have some dark level smearing. Cant say I've noticed it. At €500 you're not really going to get into high refresh IPS territory so there is the iiyama which is meant to be the best configured from an overdrive point of view and the Dark Matter which has quantum dot and is available for a little over 350 at times.

Prices for IPS may come down in the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Right lads. I'm getting the missus to get me one of these lads for xmas...

I need to choose. My rig isn't very up to date, I'm using an old i5 and a 1080. I'd love to go for a 49" 1440, but guessing that's not very feasible. What would you say is the best option, would like to keep it under the 700 mark, but if i have to go higher i could probably push it.

I game, but tbh i'm not extremely pushed on super high frame rates, or ultra high settings. It's mostly the gameplay I play for.

Any help would be great, cos I'll need to get her picked asap, and I'm having terrible trouble.

I'd say keep the budget down on the monitor and spend the rest on the rig if she's willing.

Iiyama GB3466WQSU-B1 was my pick - it reviews well and any flickering issues are apparently fixed. I then saw (Thanks KO Kiki) the Monoprice Dark Matter 34" for €356 so bought that. Very happy with it but I do have to turn Freesync off for some games (slow paced strategy) due to flicker - that could be the AMD driver though.

If it has to all go into the monitor then a higher refresh IPS is possibly the way to go but it's outside of my research.

I'd say keep the budget down on the monitor and spend the rest on the rig if she's willing.

Iiyama GB3466WQSU-B1 was my pick - it reviews well and any flickering issues are apparently fixed. I then saw (Thanks KO Kiki) the Monoprice Dark Matter 34" for €356 so bought that. Very happy with it but I do have to turn Freesync off for some games (slow paced strategy) due to flicker - that could be the AMD driver though.

If it has to all go into the monitor then a higher refresh IPS is possibly the way to go but it's outside of my research.

Do you have any pics of the dark matter set up?

I was gonna go for it, but they were sold out last I checked.

• Advertisement

tusk wrote: »
    Do you have any pics of the dark matter set up?

I was gonna go for it, but they were sold out last I checked.

Yes - sorry I should have said the stock levels will probably count out the DM.

Incidentally Monoprice also have a 49" within budget - not looked at the reviews lest I bought that thing!

I can take some pictures, anything in particular?

Yes - sorry I should have said the stock levels will probably count out the DM.

Incidentally Monoprice also have a 49" within budget - not looked at the reviews lest I bought that thing!

I can take some pictures, anything in particular?

Nice one. Is it the US store you bought from? Never used monoprice before.

Just trying to get an idea of scale. I've a 27" at the moment, kinda feel like the 34/35 wont feel big enough.

Looking at this lad now too: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=40769

Nice one. Is it the US store you bought from? Never used monoprice before.

Just trying to get an idea of scale. I've a 27" at the moment, kinda feel like the 34/35 wont feel big enough.

Couple pages ago theres a pic from me showing 34 uw next to 32 one. It can feel big for a person jumpimg from a smaller one but you can get used to that quickly.

The 'problem' with 34" is it's actually too big for some games given how the HUD is set up and that you have to scan the screen so it can be a problem in FPS games but it sounds like you're into slower paced games like me. My biggest issue is remembering to use magic in TW:WH2 :pac: because the UI element is off to the corner. I could not go back to a 27" though just not immersive enough.

I bought from Monoprice Europe, they're based in Germany. I don't think the curve they have on their 49" is aggressive enough IMHO really taken with the Odyssey G9.

I'm in D5 if you're ever in the area you're more than welcome to come over and have a look at it.

Edit: The issue I'd flag with the 43" is the aspect ratio - is it going to be supported in many games? 21:9 has grudging support it seems and the 49"ers are just two 27" panels glued together.

f**k it. I've sent the missus the g9 link. see how i get on. cross your fingers for me :pac:

f**k it. I've sent the missus the g9 link. see how i get on. cross your fingers for me :pac:

That engagement ring had better be something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Edit: The issue I'd flag with the 43" is the aspect ratio - is it going to be supported in many games? 21:9 has grudging support it seems and the 49"ers are just two 27" panels glued together.

Aye, typically they're 32:9 . Worst case scenario usually though is you can run at 21:9 with black side bars, so at least no worse than that but with the potential to be wider. Just as you said be prepared to not have full coverage on all titles (and HUD issues on many that do).3

That engagement ring had better be something.

was actually cheaper, but who needs to know aye? :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Nedved85 wrote: »
    :)

Anyone know exactly which Vesa stand this is? Any single leg one I can find only goes up to 32".

I have a G9 49". I find it great as I have it setup on a USB-C docking station, meaning I can run my work Dell tablet and my personal MacBook Pro.
    I find the standard stand takes up a lot of desk real estate.

Advertisement