Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultra Wide Monitors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

pillphil wrote: »
    Did they say why? Been waiting a week for a monitor to be dispatched, worried they'll cancel it too.

zero information.

It was supposed to arrive on the 2nd and still hadn't dispatched according to the site, so I rang them. Your man said he'd refer it to investigations and they'd get it dispatched in the next 48 hours.

2 days later an email saying it was cancelled.

I rang again asking wtf happened. This time he said he'd have to refer it to an internal team and I'd get an email in a couple of days.

Next day I got an email saying 'for my security they could not deliver to my address' or some crap.

never gonna chance buying something like that from them again. horrible experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭pillphil

tusk wrote: »
    zero information.

It was supposed to arrive on the 2nd and still hadn't dispatched according to the site, so I rang them. Your man said he'd refer it to investigations and they'd get it dispatched in the next 48 hours.

2 days later an email saying it was cancelled.

I rang again asking wtf happened. This time he said he'd have to refer it to an internal team and I'd get an email in a couple of days.

Next day I got an email saying 'for my security they could not deliver to my address' or some crap.

never gonna chance buying something like that from them again. horrible experience.

balls. i used £200 of amazon vouchers as part of the payment. sounds like they might be useless to me for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭buzzerxx

Ended up going for the cx48

Its big and it's beautiful but I couldn't wait any longer for the odyssey

You will need a deep desk for it. Nothing but good things said about the cx48 on youtube. Can you tell us where you bought it from?

got it from power city. they have loads in stock.

Richersounds is a hundred quid cheaper but they've no stock and cant guarantee when they'll get one for u.

have to say i'm loving it so far. the stand is a pain because it's so deep behind the screen, so I'm wall mounting it.

a deeper desk would be nice, but I can't find anywhere to get a desktop other than the usual ikeas

• Registered Users Posts: 54,339 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

got it from power city. they have loads in stock.

Richersounds is a hundred quid cheaper but they've no stock and cant guarantee when they'll get one for u.

have to say i'm loving it so far. the stand is a pain because it's so deep behind the screen, so I'm wall mounting it.

a deeper desk would be nice, but I can't find anywhere to get a desktop other than the usual ikeas

Get a floor tv stand

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B087DXRLG7/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A1IRXLRDFT847J&psc=1

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »

i'v already put 9 holes in my wall.

I can't let it beat me now

(but these are cool, wish I thought of that before I got my hands on the drill)

• Registered Users Posts: 54,339 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

i'v already put 9 holes in my wall.

I can't let it beat me now

(but these are cool, wish I thought of that before I got my hands on the drill)

Im dreadful with anything DIY like mounting stuff

Id love the CX48 but it's just to big for my desk. Gutted tbh:(

What id do to have a 43 inch version of it

Headshot wrote: »
    Im dreadful with anything DIY like mounting stuff

Id love the CX48 but it's just to big for my desk. Gutted tbh:(

What id do to have a 43 inch version of it

I'll be very honest. It is big.

But it's not ridiculously big that you can't use it.

My desk is 65cm deep. the stand pushes it out to about 12-15cms from the back edge. I currently have my desk pulled forward 5 or so cm. It's comfortable, but would be more comfortable if i could get that extra few cms back.

I saw it on top of what looked like an lg38 inch monitor, and didn't look much wider, so if you can get it at a reasonable distance with a wall or floor mount, you'd be good.

(feel like a drug pusher)

do it... do it...

My desk is 65cm deep. the stand pushes it out to about 12-15cms from the back edge. I currently have my desk pulled forward 5 or so cm. It's comfortable, but would be more comfortable if i could get that extra few cms back.

I saw it on top of what looked like an lg38 inch monitor, and didn't look much wider, so if you can get it at a reasonable distance with a wall or floor mount, you'd be good.

do it... do it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKQNcm771U0&t=336s

If i get one i would get a desk like the one in unbox therapy video above. ( forward to 17.37 )
    Its more like a small dining room table, about 85cm deep i reckon.
    Looking at him he is not doing any scanning ( head nodding) like i thought you would have to when looking at top and bottom of screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Right guys looking for honest opinions on this one.....

I have the chance to get a new monitor at the moment its either one of these but thats because I am not that much in the know and its the only 2 that I have really seen thanks you HWUB video. Any others I should be looking at?

Or am I better of waiting if there is a new panel out shortly.....?

LG38GN950-G

38" 3840x1600 175hz IPS. (G Sync)

27GN950-B

27" 3840x2600 144hz IPS (G sync)

Any other monitors that are in the mix.....Personally I think I would prefer the 38" as the pixel difference is not huge and its a faster panel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Right guys looking for honest opinions on this one.....

I have the chance to get a new monitor at the moment its either one of these but thats because I am not that much in the know and its the only 2 that I have really seen thanks you HWUB video. Any others I should be looking at?

Or am I better of waiting if there is a new panel out shortly.....?

LG38GN950-G

38" 3840x1600 175hz IPS. (G Sync)

27GN950-B

27" 3840x2600 144hz IPS (G sync)

Any other monitors that are in the mix.....Personally I think I would prefer the 38" as the pixel difference is not huge and its a faster panel.

I can speak on the 38GN950-G. I picked one up back in September and have no complaints with it. Lovely piece of kit. Takes a lot to drive it on some games if you're shooting for high fps. I have a 2080ti and on cod warzone I average 144fps on med/low settings and a +140mhz overclock so with a 3090 I'd say you'd get good use of it

The only detail I'd flag is that the quoted 175hz refresh rate limits the colour range you can use at that rate. In order to use a full colour range I have to cap it at 160hz. Not a major deal but for the purposes of comparison you might want to think of it as a 160hz panel

Thanks for the input, I have no probs running it at 144 or 160hz....I see you have to run the 8 bit colour instead of 10 bit colour to get the really high refresh rates but as I said I have no probs with that.

I currently have the LG27850GL which is a super panel but its lost on my 3090 but I really like it hence why I was looking at the bigger brother.

I dont think I would have much trouble with the 3090 powering it....would I?

Also, where did you buy from? Not too keen on getting it in UK would prefer Casekings or the like so I dont get hammered for import duties and vat etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

I dont think I would have much trouble with the 3090 powering it....would I?

Yeah not a bother running it with that
    Also, where did you buy from? Not too keen on getting it in UK would prefer Casekings or the like so I dont get hammered for import duties and vat etc.

Ebuyer - I'm in the UK

x43r0 wrote: »
    Yeah not a bother running it with that

Ebuyer - I'm in the UK

I have not seen this monitor on Ebuyer at all....not alot of places sell it.

do it... do it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPKrE26sDiM

Looks like you made the right choice in wall mounting so you can now give yourself more distance from the cx. you dont want any headaches.

buzzerxx wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPKrE26sDiM

Looks like you made the right choice in wall mounting so you can now give yourself more distance from the cx. you dont want any headaches.

lol, i smugly watched this last night :pac:

Lads, can you suggest any where that I might get that LG monitor (LG38GN950) not the older GL model, only place that has them in stock I can find is OCUK and I dont want to deal with them if possible and even if I did they are not delivering to Ireland at present.

Amazon.uk and .de dont have them, either does casekings.ie.

Laptopsdirect (buyitdirect) have it in stock but its €400 dearer @ €2100 and they have a horrible reputation from what I can see.

I know alot of you were getting PC from all manner of places I only know the select few.

Thanx.

Lads, can you suggest any where that I might get that LG monitor (LG38GN950) not the older GL model, only place that has them in stock I can find is OCUK and I dont want to deal with them if possible and even if I did they are not delivering to Ireland at present.

Amazon.uk and .de dont have them, either does casekings.ie.

Laptopsdirect (buyitdirect) have it in stock but its €400 dearer @ €2100 and they have a horrible reputation from what I can see.

I know alot of you were getting PC from all manner of places I only know the select few.

Thanx.

I tried all the suppliers in my favorites folder and none have the gn model except the 2 you mentioned, ocuk and laptops direct.
    sorry about that.

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/lg-38gn950-b-37.5-ips-wqhd-ultrawide-curved-monitor-38gn950-b/version.asp?wgu=272145_109047_16104721149749_e7d2fa0ec8&wgexpiry=1618248114&utm_source=PriceSpy%20Limited&utm_medium=webgains&refsource=webgains

Cheers for looking fella...;)

Other alternative is the Alienware AW3821DW apparently they use the exact same panel....

In the end I went with this sexy beast, did not even know how good the spec was until a m8 told me when I was bitching I could not get the LG.

Stand is pure metal unlike the plastic LG, Better Nvidia G Sync Module and a fantastic 3 yr instant replace on site warranty, compared to LG 1 yr.

Slightly slower hz refresh (144Hhz), the LG can OC to 165hz but at the cost of lowering the colour bit depth so its all good.

Love the the fact it has the 3840x1600p res. over the normal 1440p monitors of the same size. with a gentle curve.

Ordered today delivery 17th Jan....not bad.

[URL="[img]https://i.imgur.com/Y7NLeQFl.jpg[/img]"]Y7NLeQFl.jpg[/URL]

[URL="[img]https://i.imgur.com/swS6zSXl.jpg[/img]"]swS6zSXl.jpg[/URL]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Yeah I'm seriously considering the AW3420DW, just deciding if it's worth 3x the price of a S3220DGF

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Yeah I'm seriously considering the AW3420DW, just deciding if it's worth 3x the price of a S3220DGF

Lad on adverts stuck one up just now for 950e Id say you get 75 off that....they really are something to look at, and his one still has 2yr warranty on it.

Might be worth a look fella. ;)

Lad on adverts stuck one up just now for 950e Id say you get 75 off that....they really are something to look at, and his one still has 2yr warranty on it.

Might be worth a look fella. ;)

I don't have a car nor know anyone with one.

Might scale back and decide between S3220DGF & Samsung Odyssey G7.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

i got the AW3420dw in december, upgraded from the s2719dgf. full disclaimer, it was on sale and my wife works in dell so got a really good price on it, but if you are considering it i can't say a bad word about it. there are a lot cheaper options out there, but having seen a couple of them previously i think the AW is worth every penny. superb image quality, feels like a well put together product, and i;ve been loving it since getting it. only criticism is i think a monitor of this level should have more than 1 HDMI and 1 DP. i have a 25" dell a couple of years old beside it which has 2DP, 1 miniDP, a hdmi, a DP out, and a full USB switch to allow you to switch connected devices between pcs. that's a small thing though

highly recommend it if you are considering it

I woke up & am ready to press buy on the 38".

YOLO :pac:

sure you'd be mad not to :) its a beautiful monitor. €290 dearer though.

We can be 38" buddies......:confused:

YES I SAID IT.

My friend reminded me of the oldest trick in the book:
    Get a sales rep & ask for a discount.

Got it for 1142 EUR :cool:

My friend reminded me of the oldest trick in the book:
    Get a sales rep & ask for a discount.

Got it for 1142 EUR :cool:

https://www.dell.com/en-ie/shop/alienware-38-curved-gaming-monitor-aw3821dw/apd/210-axqm/monitors-monitor-accessories

Thats over 300 of a discount, well done. Did you get it direct from dell or amazon?

• Advertisement

buzzerxx wrote: »
    https://www.dell.com/en-ie/shop/alienware-38-curved-gaming-monitor-aw3821dw/apd/210-axqm/monitors-monitor-accessories

Thats over 300 of a discount, well done. Did you get it direct from dell or amazon?

Direct from Dell.ie

Also technically 655 discount (36%) off RRP :pac:

Advertisement