Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Betula pendula ‘Youngii’ proximity to sewerage pipes

Options
  • 23-10-2020 8:56pm

I want to plant a top grafted Youngii in the center of my small front lawn. It should not grow more than 5m in height due to the position of the graft. It would be around 6-7ft way from the underground sewerage pipes leading from my house to the street. People tell me it won’t damage the pipes as it’s 6ft away and not on top or very close to them.

What say ye?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,715 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Birch are surface routing trees and no tree should get into a sewerage pipe if its sealed correctly.

The only real issue is distance. For a small weeping tree like you suggest I don't think it would cause any issue at all.

If it was a really large tree then its roots could move the ground and damage the pipe but that isn't going to be the case here.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Advertisement