Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can somebody explain password managers to me. I feel like a 90 year old.

Options
  • 23-10-2020 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

For the 52nd time I've forgotten a password to some random website. I rely on my browser to remember my password and it works 99% of the time. But it's not good enough. Was trying to buy something off ebay this eve, I couldn't remember my password as I haven't used it in about 10 years because my browser does it for me. However I didn't have access to my browser and just couldn't remember what it was.

How does LastPass etc. work?

Do I need it running on every device I own? I have a lot of passwords saved with samsung security for my phone and opera browser for my laptop. Will Lastpass take over my phone / laptop? Can I port my passwords over? What happens when I'm on a website - does it automatically fill in password forms for me or do I have to look up a list of saved passwords?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

For the 52nd time I've forgotten a password to some random website. I rely on my browser to remember my password and it works 99% of the time. But it's not good enough. Was trying to buy something off ebay this eve, I couldn't remember my password as I haven't used it in about 10 years because my browser does it for me. However I didn't have access to my browser and just couldn't remember what it was.

How does LastPass etc. work?

Do I need it running on every device I own? I have a lot of passwords saved with samsung security for my phone and opera browser for my laptop. Will Lastpass take over my phone / laptop? Can I port my passwords over? What happens when I'm on a website - does it automatically fill in password forms for me or do I have to look up a list of saved passwords?

a good guide here

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

If you use chrome and have signed in you can go to passwords.google.com and you can see them there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I'd recommend lastpass as it works across all platforms, PC, Android phone, Android tablet. It has an annual fee but it is not much, you can also securely store Passport Info, Card info etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

bitwarden is free and open source and works across platforms. i use it myself.

• Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

• Advertisement
Advertisement