Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inner city

Options
  • 24-10-2020 12:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

I was reading the book about the Monk criminal. Is where IFSC is part of the inner city. This is the big glass building on left if you walk to bus aras from abbey street?

Is Gardiner street considered inner city? i read about south inner city and north inner city. I once stayed in a B&B in Gardiner street.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

I’m not sure, but I was wondering whether you knew Neville Neville?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I was reading the book about the Monk criminal. Is where IFSC is part of the inner city. This is the big glass building on left if you walk to bus aras from abbey street?

Is Gardiner street considered inner city? i read about south inner city and north inner city. I once stayed in a B&B in Gardiner street.

IFSC Yes ..it was part of the urban regeneration scheme in the 80s.

Is gardiner street inner city ...yes. Its a really really long street.

Are you American or a tourist or something?

Lower gardiner street is the dart line and the old council flats.

You were staying on gardiner street upper ...its more hotels and georgian buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

IFSC Yes ..it was part of the urban regeneration scheme in the 80s.

Is gardiner street inner city ...yes. Its a really really long street.

Are you American or a tourist or something?

Lower gardiner street is the dart line and the old council flats.

You were staying on gardiner street upper ...its more hotels and georgian buildings.

There always were several B and B guesthouses on Lower Gardiner st between the Railway St junction and Beresford place junction. It is very much inner city.
    It is located near Amiens St station and easy access to the Ferryport.

I’m not sure, but I was wondering whether you knew Neville Neville?
    Is he a pal of Colin Collins?

The building on the left as you walk from Abbey st to Bus Aras is the Irish Life Building.
    The IFSC is the big complex further down past Bus Aras and is bordered on one side by North Wall Quay and Sheriff St on the north side. It spreads down as far as Guild st. That general area used be a massive bonded Customs area before it was developed. It was the brainchild of Dermot Desmond and Charlie Haughey was the politician who had the intelligence and foresight to see its potential.
    The usual middle class left wing gob****es living out in the leafy suburbs wanted the area to be kept as it was to preserve working class Dublin. They didnt want to live in the ****hole though. That would be all rightfor the great unwashed

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

If you put a line down O'Connell Street and another line down Talbot north inner city is pretty much contained in the enclosed section. This is the hutch heartland and is one (if not the) worst part of Ireland. Riddled with drugs and degenerates.
    The bull about close knit working class communities is ineed just bull.
    If you see how many attend the funerals of the goons who are murdered it is clear that these guys have a fair bit of support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

Edgware wrote: »
    The building on the left as you walk from Abbey st to Bus Aras is the Irish Life Building.
    The IFSC is the big complex further down past Bus Aras and is bordered on one side by North Wall Quay and Sheriff St on the north side. It spreads down as far as Guild st. That general area used be a massive bonded Customs area before it was developed. It was the brainchild of Dermot Desmond and Charlie Haughey was the politician who had the intelligence and foresight to see its potential.
    The usual middle class left wing gob****es living out in the leafy suburbs wanted the area to be kept as it was to preserve working class Dublin. They didnt want to live in the ****hole though. That would be all rightfor the great unwashed
    I realised later it was the Irish Life Building

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

thread moved from AH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Edgware wrote: »
    Is he a pal of Colin Collins?

No, but he is mates with Peter Peters.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The inner city would usually be taken as the areas northside and southside between the canals, with some outlying pockets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

spurious wrote: »
    The inner city would usually be taken as the areas northside and southside between the canals, with some outlying pockets.

However, I've noticed the media only refer to an area as inner city when a crime or suspicious activity takes place in a social housing or council run flats complex dominated street within the perimeters you describe.

E.g. an incident on Dawson or Baggot St would be reported as a city centre incident but an incident in for example Cuffe St, Oliver Bond or Dorset St flats would be referred to as a south inner city or north inner city incident.

Also, someone who lives in a luxury penthouse overlooking Stephens Green or Grand Canal Dock won't say they live in the inner city but someone who lives in Iveagh Trust flats might.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    If you put a line down O'Connell Street and another line down Talbot north inner city is pretty much contained in the enclosed section. This is the hutch heartland and is one (if not the) worst part of Ireland. Riddled with drugs and degenerates.
    The bull about close knit working class communities is ineed just bull.
    If you see how many attend the funerals of the goons who are murdered it is clear that these guys have a fair bit of support.

This doesn't enclose anything, it makes more of a T shape...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

ongarboy wrote: »
    However, I've noticed the media only refer to an area as inner city when a crime or suspicious activity takes place in a social housing or council run flats complex dominated street within the perimeters you describe.

yeah thats actually very true, the term 'north inner city' is very much media led and refers to areas around Amiens St, Gardiner St, Sheffif St, Ballybough and Sean McDermott street. Its used as a term to associate the area with high crime rather than a term describing a set geographical area. I dont think you'd hear them speak of Smithfield or Stoneybatter as the 'north inner city' even though it is in relative terms of distance to O'Connell Street. When the media use the term 'north inner city' they always seems to be referring to locations east of o'Connell St, not to the west of it.

No, but he is mates with Peter Peters.
    Doesn't he knock around with the two gay lads, Patrick Fitzsimon and Simon Fitzpatrick?

Advertisement