Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops selling crockery?

Options
  • 24-10-2020 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭

Anywhere in Dublin, I already tried the larger stores, Home Store & More, Arnotts, Woodies, Debenhams, Argos, Ikea, and supermarkets, so are there any small independent shops selling random crockery? I won't be able to shop for a quite a while now anyway but over the last year or two I've been looking for smallish plates 8 inches or thereabouts. Larger than side plates, smaller than dinner plates. They might be called salad or dessert plates, can't find anything anywhere. Anyone got any pointers for me when lockdown ends?

Comments

You could try Meadows and Burns.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Charity shops? or there are online companies to match missing piece of a particular pattern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Try TK Maxx when it's back, they stock unusual bits and pieces. You can check their UK website to see if they show up at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

Thanks for the replies. Never thought of Meadow & Byrne, will keep it in mind. Yes, I've been to several charity shops and I've also been into TKMaxx, probably worth another visit. I don't need to match any pattern, its just the size is hard to track down. Fingers crossed in a few weeks time I can get to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

There's a homeware store near Stephen's Green called Stock, might be worth a visit. Or try Sostrene Grene maybe.

• Advertisement

Thanks. Its years since I was in Stock, forgotten all about it. I was in Sostrene last year and didn't see anything, might get back there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

There's a shop called Butler's in Stephen's Green shopping centre too, might be worth checking out too.

Many thanks. Lots of new ideas I had not thought of.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

...... I've been looking for smallish plates 8 inches or thereabouts. Larger than side plates, smaller than dinner plates. They might be called salad or dessert plates, can't find anything anywhere.

I have a few of them, they came in an Arklow dinner set which I bought about 30 years ago. When my mother saw them, she immediately identified them as 'pudding plates' but I think 'dessert plate' is what they're known as these days.

Nisbets is a major supplier of catering equipment, I buy stuff from them from time to time and they have a very good article on plate sizes here....

https://www.nisbets.ie/size-of-plates

coylemj wrote: »
    I have a few of them, they came in an Arklow dinner set which I bought about 30 years ago. When my mother saw them, she immediately identified them as 'pudding plates' but I think 'dessert plate' is what they're known as these days.

Nisbets is a major supplier of catering equipment, I buy stuff from them from time to time and they have a very good article on plate sizes here....

https://www.nisbets.ie/size-of-plates

That's perfect! Thanks for that. I never knew they were in Dublin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

That's perfect! Thanks for that. I never knew they were in Dublin!

In fact, neither did I (know that they had a bricks and mortar shop in Ireland) until I read your reply :D I only ever purchased mail order from them.

In normal times, their business of supplying to the catering trade hits a trough in August when all the mobile catering companies doing summer festivals, race meetings etc. have all the gear they need so to fill the gap, Nesbit's offers free delivery for online orders. That's typically when I order stuff from them.

BTW, I measured the plates in my Arklow set, the side plates are 7" diameter and the dessert/pudding plates are 8.25" diameter. I am into the metric system but as they're 30 years old, I reckoned they were manufactured to imperial specifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭tscul32

Ikea's side plates range from 16cm to 22cm.

tscul32 wrote: »
    Ikea's side plates range from 16cm to 22cm.

Just checked them there, I sorted via size, but they're not floating my boat.

Actually ended up getting a few of them in Ikea! They're not paricularly pretty, a bluey green, but just the right size.

Advertisement