Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Running cable inside to outside

• 24-10-2020 9:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I bought a video doorbell and also a plug in transformer to power it. I have a socket just inside my front door, but I need to run the cable outside obviously.

Should I drill through the wall (seems about 1.5-2ft thick, with dry lining inside and a red brick finish outside)? Will my wireless drill from Aldi (with a hammer setting) do the job? What kind of drill bit should I get?

Or could I drill through the door frame? It’s a new composite door, so the thought of this makes me very nervous

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭keithdub

Do you not have a door bell in place already?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

Hi,

I bought a video doorbell and also a plug in transformer to power it. I have a socket just inside my front door, but I need to run the cable outside obviously.

Should I drill through the wall (seems about 1.5-2ft thick, with dry lining inside and a red brick finish outside)? Will my wireless drill from Aldi (with a hammer setting) do the job? What kind of drill bit should I get?

Or could I drill through the door frame? It’s a new composite door, so the thought of this makes me very nervous

If you can drill the door frame very close to the wall it might be the easiest. You'll need a 10mm steel drill bit.

If that's not an option you'll need a long masonry bit to got through. Just avoid drilling in an walls above a socket as wiring is usually directly above the socket.

Any hammer action drill will work for just one hole.

Slope the hole slightly down on the outside to avoid water entry. The cable should also angle downwards on the outside before turning to ensure any water in the cable drips off and isn't carried inside.

Fill around the cable entry with sealant after installation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

corglass wrote: »
    If you can drill the door frame very close to the wall it might be the easiest. You'll need a 10mm steel drill bit.

If that's not an option you'll need a long masonry bit to got through. Just avoid drilling in an walls above a socket as wiring is usually directly above the socket.

Any hammer action drill will work for just one hole.

Slope the hole slightly down on the outside to avoid water entry. The cable should also angle downwards on the outside before turning to ensure any water in the cable drips off and isn't carried inside.

Fill around the cable entry with sealant after installation.

As per the above, you should be able to drill in at the side of the frame, there is probably expanding foam or similar in there. You might just have to drill in from both sides and then pass the bell wire through. If you want to disguise the wire on the outside you could take out the silicon between the frame and the wall, push in the wire, and re-silicone it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

keithdub wrote: »
    Do you not have a door bell in place already?

I do but it’s not in an optimal location for the camera so want to move it to other side of door

Advertisement