Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorbike licence categories

Options
  • 24-10-2020 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭

I need to change my Uk licence to a Irish one, just checking categories on uk licence, now passed my bike test years ago, so I have A checked , which I think Is full bike licence? A1 doesn’t seem to be ticked, on Irish application form you have, AM. A1 A2 and A , do I just tick A? Can i ride the other categories and had them? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Goose81

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    I need to change my Uk licence to a Irish one, just checking categories on uk licence, now passed my bike test years ago, so I have A checked , which I think Is full bike licence? A1 doesn’t seem to be ticked, on Irish application form you have, AM. A1 A2 and A , do I just tick A? Can i ride the other categories and had them? Thanks

A covers you for everything, I think in my first one I ticked every category to be safe and then on my second they just issued it with A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Make sure you don’t end up with the restriction code 79.03, this restricts you to trikes, it has happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Make sure you don’t end up with the restriction code 79.03, this restricts you to trikes, it has happened.

How would i make sure that don't happen with a A catergorie?

also noticed your user name might be able to help me,i also have a C1 as i drive a truck for work, i know i need a medical but do i need a separate eye test too?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

How would i make sure that don't happen with a A catergorie?

also noticed your user name might be able to help me,i also have a C1 as i drive a truck for work, i know i need a medical but do i need a separate eye test too?

When I renewed my doctor did a simple eye test during the medical. You don't need a separate eye test if transferring an EU licence but the UK has left the EU so might be needed, maybe better if you call the RSA to be sure.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/driver_licensing/exchanging_foreign_driving_permit.html

Your C1 licence is only valid for 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭myclist

Yeah, the c1 thing is a scam as you must renew with a medical every five years so your driving licence costs more than everyone else's who doesn't have this category.

• Advertisement

myclist wrote: »
    Yeah, the c1 thing is a scam as you must renew with a medical every five years so your driving licence costs more than everyone else's who doesn't have this category.

Medical, separate eye test,(as its for a truck 2 part eye test now) then licence, will cost me €160.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Del2005 wrote: »
    but the UK has left the EU so might be needed

It has, but nothing changes until 31st Dec 2020 as transition agreement applies.

Medical, separate eye test,(as its for a truck 2 part eye test now) then licence, will cost me €160.

Is it now? I exchanged a full house of categories (June 2017) and although I went to the trouble of getting a separate eye test, they didn't want it as the NDLS said the doctor's medical covered it.

macplaxton wrote: »
    It has, but nothing changes until 31st Dec 2020 as transition agreement applies.
    The warning on NDLS, all UK licences must be changed before 31st Dec 2020, after this date a UK licence will not be valid in Ireland, but a Irish licence will be valid to drive in UK after this date?

macplaxton wrote: »
    Is it now? I exchanged a full house of categories (June 2017) and although I went to the trouble of getting a separate eye test, they didn't want it as the NDLS said the doctor's medical covered it.
    Sent a email to NDLS to clarify this ,when i tried to book my medical was told i need eye test done first, Spec savers all booked up til 13th Dec, im booked in NDLS for 13th Nov, managed to find another place, they said as its a truck licence its a 2 part test €25/€30, with CPC every year no wonder no one wants too drive trucks any more.

• Advertisement

but a Irish licence will be valid to drive in UK after this date?

Yes, the UK set out its stall a long time ago regarding EU licences:

https://www.ndls.ie/images/Documents/FAQs/FAQ%20on%20Brexit%20Implications.pdf

Q. I’m a UK citizen, I live here in Ireland and I hold an Irish driving licence can I drive in the UK from
    time to time?

A. An Irish driving licence will continue to be recognised in the UK. An Irish driving licence is an EU
    licence and the UK has indicated it will continue to recognise EU driving licences.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/visiting-the-uk-after-brexit#if-your-vehicle-is-not-insured-in-the-uk

EU licence recognised, no IDP required, no insurance green card required just bring the certificate.

Sent a email to NDLS to clarify this ,when i tried to book my medical was told i need eye test done first, Spec savers all booked up til 13th Dec, im booked in NDLS for 13th Nov, managed to find another place, they said as its a truck licence its a 2 part test €25/€30, with CPC every year no wonder no one wants too drive trucks any more.

A doctor can sign off a D502 eyesight form.

https://www.ndls.ie/medical-reports.html#eyesight-report-d502-pdf

I used to have eyesight correction (01) marked on my Group 2 categories:

530485.jpg

Then the DVLA ballsed that up and applied them across the board, even though I meet the eyesight requirements for Group 1 easily without glasses:

530486.jpg

This UK licence was exchanged for an Irish licence, and at the same time I checked out and met the eyesight requirements for Group 1 & 2 without glasses.

530487.jpg

Just to clarify, my doctor signed off both a D501 medical AND a D502 eyesight test report. I was quite cheesed off at the extra expense for nothing that the opticians cost :)

Advertisement