Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving boiler in attic & Zoning

Options
  • 24-10-2020 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey everyone. My first post. Thanks in advance. House 3-bed semi 103sqm build circa 1975
    I am looking for a sanity check for a quote I got from plumber. We are already in the middle of the renovation and this is extra we are looking to do. I don't have time or energy to get quotes from others. Renovation is only ground floor, where pipes are new so this is not accounted. Main and heating pipes are there but floor is open so convenient. Here is the extra:

- decommission gas boiler outside in shed
    -fit new combi in loft (dig concrete wall, fit flue etc)
    - fit booster pump
    - run gas pipes on external wall (around 12m)
    - run main and rest of pipes via hotpress in loft
    - Change system to 2 zones (fit automatic valves, filter and all new pipework)
    - Test system and fix issues in joins that are weak points most likely on 1st floor (on open ceiling so exposed)

Plumper is asking 2K cash only for labor and assumes 1 week of work. How does this sound? he says he is doing it very cheap. I am getting boiler, pump, valves, pipes, fixes, etc separately that cost another 2k. So I am looking at 4k total.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Sorry I can't offer advice on the job in question but just a random thought €2000 for a cash job seems scandalous quote for a weeks work .

Its what things have come to here with nobody taking holidays and extra cash available to do up the house and a shortage of tradesmen .

Im reading loads of these type of threads lately .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭jenneyk19

it's only 2 days work

why do you want to move it

probably 2500 installed including parts make sure they are rgi registered

• Registered Users Posts: 33,991 ✭✭✭✭listermint

jenneyk19 wrote: »
    it's only 2 days work

That's not 2 days work . Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Guzzlerix

jenneyk19 wrote: »
    it's only 2 days work

probably 2500 installed including parts make sure they are rgi registered

He is. He will supply cert. I want to move it cause the job is poor, a lot of heat loss and I plan to demolish the shed (it is in the middle of the garden giving me shade on the best part of the garden). I want to build a garden room later at the back and it would be a nightmare and even more loss having the boiler there.
    It was more a do now or never situation. Normally I don't just get one quote and go for it. I would go for at least 5. But I had no choice here so I went with him. I tried to get some from the phone but no one would give me even a ballpark figure.

Advertisement