Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apples

• 24-10-2020 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭

The good news is our 50year old apple trees have over produced this year and we have a v plentiful supply of apples for eating and cooking.

I have been making apple crumble and apple cake. Both lovely with cream.

Anyone got any other ideas for recipes (easy) for using apples ?

I have made a huge supply of stewed apple already.

Any ideas ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭RachelsCousin

Apple jelly?
    It can be a little bland, but you'll find lots of recipes for spiced apple jelly.
    Very easy, but a little time consuming, although it's mainly waiting for the juice to drain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭con747

I put some in my homemade vegetable soup when making a big batch. Adds a little sweetness. A few rolls of ready made puff pastry and make apple strudle. Juice up a load of them. Make toffee apples for Halloween. Plenty of easy recipes on line for pickled apples.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I'm just after finishing the storage prep for the last of my cooking apples. Grade them, then wrap in newspaper & put into my attic (I say attic, it's a 2nd floor I've not done anything with as entry is via staire, so it's massive)
    The best ones which were picked off the tree with no bruising etc should last til into the New Year, once you stop the light getting at them, hence the newspaper & store in cool conditions.

Other than that, apple & ginger cake, apple muffins, apple scones, apple tart, soon to make apple & rosehip cordial. Will cook with pork, grate into salads. I don't find myself getting through them!
    I also jarred some last year & it worked really well, the resulting apple chunks in a sort of cinnamon syrup was amazing with porridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I mix stewed apple with oats, coconut oil and cinnamon and bake them. They come out as delicious (refined sugar free) soft oaty bars for my kids. They freeze really well too.

Apple turnovers. I've been using ready rolled puff pastry. So, so easy to make. Carmelising the apples with extra cinnamon , cause I love it. They're so delicious, especially hot with cream or ice cream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,583 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I’m thinking cider. Problem you’ll have is mashing and pressing.

https://giy.ie/archive/apples-and-cider.html

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Spiced apple chutney?

Boil up together 1.5kg apples, 750g brown sugar, 700ml apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar, 500g raisins, 1 Tsp salt and whatever spices you like - ground cloves, ground ginger, mustard seeds, cinnamon. Simmer 45 mins till thick.

While still warm pop into sterilised jars. Makes a lovely gift as well as a delicious accompaniment to most meats and cheeses.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

This thread inspired me and I made some chutney (half the quantity advised above which gave me 4.5 jars) and some crumbles. :pac:

IMG-20201029-150341294.jpg

IMG-20201029-150604149.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I’m thinking cider. Problem you’ll have is mashing and pressing.

https://giy.ie/archive/apples-and-cider.html

You can do it in a juicer if you have the patience to do it in small batches. I did it that way once, took a fair while though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

When I'm cooking a curry, I always add a diced apple. Adds a little sweetness and flavour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭tringle

Ive 3 bags of apples in the kitchen to use. I already have jars of apple puree, chutney and mincemeat in the fridge, easily enough for a year. If i had enough tins i would happily prepare apple tarts and freeze before baking.

Advertisement