Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The mystery that is the shower drain

• 24-10-2020 12:30pm

Ultimately I think we need to pull out the shower tray and get a plumber/tiller in.

As it stands there's a leak onto our sitting room ceiling that seems to be coming from the shower. It's not a massive leak, but over time discolours the ceiling.

I've pulled off the top and can look down the shower drain. There's a cup at the bottom that holds some water. I don't see how the water is leaving the drain. It gets so high and then it empties, but I don't see a hole/way for the water to leave.

Can anyone tell me the mechanics of this. It may not solve the leak problem, but would scratch an itch :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I'm no plumber but I'll give my two cents worth.

If like mine, the cup you are talking about acts as the s-bend trap. If you pull this out, you will then see where the water exits from.

Have a close look around the drain as it is set into the tray, how is the seal along this? Maybe it is here where the water is leaking out. Might be worth applying a fine line of Tec 7 (clear) around this to see if that alleviates the leak.

If not, get onto a plumber but don't go taking out the tray until you have contacted one!

I'm no plumber but I'll give my two cents worth.

If like mine, the cup you are talking about acts as the s-bend trap. If you pull this out, you will then see where the water exits from.

Have a close look around the drain as it is set into the tray, how is the seal along this? Maybe it is here where the water is leaking out. Might be worth applying a fine line of Tec 7 (clear) around this to see if that alleviates the leak.

If not, get onto a plumber but don't go taking out the tray until you have contacted one!

What you're saying makes perfect sense. Thanks a million. An S-Bend at the bottom would explain it (D'oh) and again I'd say you're right about the gap at the top. Because, I was confused if this is where the water should be exiting (because I didn't think of an S-Bend) So, if I seal this and the water does back up it wont leak.

Thanks a million !

Might save me pulling out the whole thing ... for now at least before a whole new fit out. But, that can be for another day.

Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Chances are its not the drain that's leaking. Most showers are incorrectly installed as the tiles are put on over plasterboard and over time water gets through and the water gets down to the ceiling below.

Chances are its not the drain that's leaking. Most showers are incorrectly installed as the tiles are put on over plasterboard and over time water gets through and the water gets down to the ceiling below.

I don't see that being the issue here, although it's probable the tiles were put directly onto plaster board.

And, as happy guessed, there is a gap at the top of the pipe in our drain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

You need to get this sorted. Assuming timber floor - timber joists will rot when damp and unventilated. Damp wool insulation will be useless. Plasterboard will degrade.

It's most likely the tray / wall junction; you could cut out a piece of the ceiling below and run the shower to see where the leak is. Then if it's pipework leaking you don't need to remove the tray, just fix the pipe and repair the ceiling. Don't worry about butchering the ceiling, this is easily patched up. Get it fixed.

• Advertisement

You need to get this sorted. Assuming timber floor - timber joists will rot when damp and unventilated. Damp wool insulation will be useless. Plasterboard will degrade.

It's most likely the tray / wall junction; you could cut out a piece of the ceiling below and run the shower to see where the leak is. Then if it's pipework leaking you don't need to remove the tray, just fix the pipe and repair the ceiling. Don't worry about butchering the ceiling, this is easily patched up. Get it fixed.

I've plungered the drain and brought up a good chunk of hair (the delights of a long haired wife). The drain used to back up, and shower water would puddle, and would have drained outside the pipe, gap at the top of the drain.

I'll block this first and see how it goes. Cutting a hole in the ceiling doesn't sound like much fun. Will consider though if not fixing the leak.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If you let the shower run for 10/15 minutes, can you notice any damp on the ceiling, or any spots were the stain gets darker?

awec wrote: »
    If you let the shower run for 10/15 minutes, can you notice any damp on the ceiling, or any spots were the stain gets darker?

Haven't run a shower that long, but might try it after I seal the top of the pipe.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Haven't run a shower that long, but might try it after I seal the top of the pipe.

Take a look at your ceiling and take a photo of it.

Then turn on the shower and put the shower head directly onto the drain, so that water definitely goes down the drain. Let it run for 10/15 minutes.

Then look at the ceiling again. If it is damp, or is noticably darker in parts, then there is likely to be a genuine plumbing issue, and it's not likely to be a small gap between the drain and the tray, or the tray and the wall.

Easiest way to fix it is from below, so don't go ripping out your tray.

Advertisement