Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting Virgin Hub 3 into modem mode

Options
  • 24-10-2020 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

Guys,

I would be grateful for some help please, I've read through a lot of threads on this but can't find the answer.

I want to put my VM Hub into modem mode and connect it to a Xiaomi AX3600 router.

I contacted VM and they changed me over to IPV4 and when I access my VM router under Admin/Info I can see that the WAN settings say IPV4.

VM also told me to reset my router by putting a pin in the reset button for 60 seconds , so I did that. I then unplugged the router for 15 seconds and plugged it back in again. I then accessed the router via my PC but I can not find the option to switch to "Modem" mode.

So I think I followed the instructions correctly. But I can't find "modem" mode. Also Im not sure at what stage I connect/power on my new Xiaomi router.

Please can someone tell me how to find "modem" mode or the steps to follow precisely.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

HUB4 or HUB3?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

ED E wrote: »
    HUB4 or HUB3?

Hub 3

r27jxPH.png

Its very prominent. The reset is normally what catches people and it sounds like you've completed that. I would say contact Virgin but I dont really expect them to be very helpful.

I'm only seeing this

Sorry, I dont know how to upload an image the way you did

• Registered Users Posts: 16,677 ✭✭✭✭banie01

iba wrote: »
    I'm only seeing this

Sorry, I dont know how to upload an image the way you did

Get back into VM, they either haven't set the account to modem mode IPv4 or it's not yet been propogated to your modem.

• Advertisement

banie01 wrote: »
    Get back into VM, they either haven't set the account to modem mode IPv4 or it's not yet been propogated to your modem.

Hi Banie, hows it going mate..

Ill get back onto them although they sent me a text saying that they had done it. Is there some page/field inside 192.168.0.1 that i can check to see if its done? It does say this in admin/info:

IPv4 address : 176.xx.x.xx
    Default gateway : 176.xx.x.x
    IPv4 lease time : D:0 H:15 M:13 S:4
    IPv4 lease expire : Sun Oct 25 07:15:53 2020
    IPv4 DNS servers : 89.xxx.xxx.5 89.xxx.xxx.4 

Hi Banie, hows it going mate..

Ill get back onto them although they sent me a text saying that they had done it. Is there some page/field inside 192.168.0.1 that i can check to see if its done? It does say this in admin/info:

IPv4 address : 176.xx.x.xx
    Default gateway : 176.xx.x.x
    IPv4 lease time : D:0 H:15 M:13 S:4
    IPv4 lease expire : Sun Oct 25 07:15:53 2020
    IPv4 DNS servers : 89.xxx.xxx.5 89.xxx.xxx.4 

Not bad at all now IBA, hope you are keeping well.

If they have sent an SMS confirming, I'd be minded to reset the modem again. Hold the reset pin in for 60, then add 10 just to be sure.

banie01 wrote: »
    Not bad at all now IBA, hope you are keeping well.

If they have sent an SMS confirming, I'd be minded to reset the modem again. Hold the reset pin in for 60, then add 10 just to be sure.

good to hear.

Exactly what I did before plus an extra 10 seconds. But Ill do it again.

Just to be sure, I should do that with the modem powered on or off? And do I keep the VM internet signal cable connected too?

good to hear.

Just to be sure, I should do that with the modem powered on or off? And do I keep the VM internet signal cable connected too?

Powered on and modem connected.
    Lights will flash and then it will fully reset and seek a forced connection and settings update as part of its reconnection process.

Hope you are keeping well too.

good to hear.

Reset it while the VM cable is connected and it is powered on.

It needs to download a config file from the head end that enables the feature. It cannot do this while off.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

HUB4 or HUB3?

how do you know which one you have hub3 or hub4 when did hub4 come out

HUB4 is recent, last few months though I suspect trialists had it much longer.

HUB3 is a COMAL CH7465LG and is the traditional shape but standing. HUB4 is more like a pillar (IIRC) and will carry a different model number.

Thanks Banie and Ed,

Eventually modem mode appeared after three goes doing the factory reset button and Ive connected to the xiaomi router.

In case anyone else is looking for help on this, I found some info. here: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Hub-3-Xiaomi-AX3600-modem-mode-not-working-pls-Help/td-p/4339523

Now Im getting these speeds:

43.04Mbps upload
    323.28Mbps download

I gave the 2ghz and 5ghz separate names and all my devices (I think all my devices) reconnected. I was actually expecting that I would have to reconnect all my IoT things.

When I access the router through my browser, I cant get the language to stay in English, but by right clicking on the various pages and using google translate I can get by. I actually there was a way to premantly set the router language to English but I can't find it.

IPV6 is turned off on the Xiaomi and I presume that is right as I'm using IPV4 on the VM.

DHCP is turned on.

There is an option to turn on : QoS intelligent distribution. But I dont know what this is.

There is a DMZ function which is also turned off.

There is also a VPN function but I don't use a VPN so that is off.

UPnP was turned off so I turned that on.

There is also an option for Mesh Node Routing but I don't have any Mesh devices so that is off. I think some of the new Xiaomi light bulbs have Mesh built in, so maybe the router can connect to them easily and thus build a mesh network.

And finally, there is an option to d/l a PC Client for windows, but it didnt work.

So I think I have everything setup right and thanks for your help again guys. Now onto my next project of setting up a AUN AKEY6 Projector and Duronic Screen :)

Cheers

mean gene wrote: »
    how do you know which one you have hub3 or hub4 when did hub4 come out

Like what ED says and also, when I went into the router via my browser, it told me it was HUB 3

UPnP was turned off so I turned that on.

Congratulations, you just got digital herpes.

so can you upgrade for free to hub 4 box

Congratulations, you just got digital herpes.

Ok, I turned it off; I thought it should be on. Don't feel like having to go to the chemist to get Herpes cream.

mean gene wrote: »
    so can you upgrade for free to hub 4 box

I don't think so, but I'm not sure. I think you get it if you subscribe to the 1gb package

I don't think so, but I'm not sure. I think you get it if you subscribe to the 1gb package

that any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,992 ✭✭✭CoBo55

The address of the VM hub changes to 192.168.100.1 when in modem mode. VM need to disable horizon WiFi before modem mode can be accessed, maybe that was your hold up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭your desired user name

Hi Folks
    Was getting poor wifi speeds at 2.4 gh on virgin hub 3.
    Bought a tplink ac 1200 and have connected it via one of the 4 Lans on the hub 3.
    It seems to work fine in both Router mode and Access point mode. Which should I use?
    I have disabled 2.4gh and 5gh wifi in the HUB 3 router.
    I still use the hub 3 for 2 other lan connections and virgin's phone.

Can anyone see any problem with what I have done or would anyone suggest doing it any differently?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,992 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Hi Folks
    Was getting poor wifi speeds at 2.4 gh on virgin hub 3.
    Bought a tplink ac 1200 and have connected it via one of the 4 Lans on the hub 3.
    It seems to work fine in both Router mode and Access point mode. Which should I use?
    I have disabled 2.4gh and 5gh wifi in the HUB 3 router.
    I still use the hub 3 for 2 other lan connections and virgin's phone.

Can anyone see any problem with what I have done or would anyone suggest doing it any differently?

Thanks
    Put the hub in modem mode, connect the tplink to the lan port nearest the coax cable set the tplink to router mode. Leave the phone connected to the hub but everything else should only be connected to the tplink. The tp is doing all the routing not the hub.

Advertisement