Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop issues

Options
  • 24-10-2020 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38,385 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Mod message (If not the right fourm please move it too it)

I have a lenovo touch screen laptop and for the last few days been having issues. The mouse and keyboard will suddenly just lock and won't work. When I switch it too touchscreen the laptop works

Is the best course of action too uninstall and reinstall the mouse and keyboard in device manager?

Also the recovery boot screen pops up now and again during startup

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Mod message (If not the right fourm please move it too it)

I have a lenovo touch screen laptop and for the last few days been having issues. The mouse and keyboard will suddenly just lock and won't work. When I switch it too touchscreen the laptop works

Is the best course of action too uninstall and reinstall the mouse and keyboard in device manager?

Also the recovery boot screen pops up now and again during startup

Anything caught in between the keys? food etc . flip it over and give it a gentle few taps on underside of the keyboard , it could be a stuck key. Possibly the F12 button as thats the boot menu option for Lenovo Machines which would be causing the menu to pop on startup. A can of air to blow around around the keys is a good idea too if you have one handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,385 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

irishgeo wrote: »
    Anything caught in between the keys? food etc . flip it over and give it a gentle few taps on underside of the keyboard , it could be a stuck key. Possibly the F12 button as thats the boot menu option for Lenovo Machines which would be causing the menu to pop on startup. A can of air to blow around around the keys is a good idea too if you have one handy.

Sometimes it goes randomly off and comes back on for a few secs after I sleep and wake the laptop. I checked the F6 button and the touchpad is not locked. F12 is just the brightness key on this laptop

The touch screen works perfect. I have uninstalled and Installed the keyboard and touchpad through device manager and it works again. Problem im seeing also is i have to restart the machine about 2/3 times to get the pad/keyboard to work

Bloody frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Sometimes it goes randomly off and comes back on for a few secs after I sleep and wake the laptop. I checked the F6 button and the touchpad is not locked. F12 is just the brightness key on this laptop

The touch screen works perfect. I have uninstalled and Installed the keyboard and touchpad through device manager and it works again. Problem im seeing also is i have to restart the machine about 2/3 times to get the pad/keyboard to work

Bloody frustrating

F12 is the button you press to get the boot menu when booting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

Sometimes it goes randomly off and comes back on for a few secs after I sleep and wake the laptop.
    Problem im seeing also is i have to restart the machine about 2/3 times to get the pad/keyboard to work

I use a usb keyboard with my laptop - real mouse as well - personally I much prefer it - might not be ideal for you - but something to consider..

Could it be water damage? I've seen keyboard issues many times that had coffee spilt on them and only weeks later started having problems.

“Roll it back”

Bloody still happening and getting annoying at this stage

After i shut down the laptop at night and then turn it on the next day, the boot menu comes up and then when i log in the touchpad and keyboard are unresponsive. So its on screen keyboard (Through Ease Of Access), device manager , Uninstall Ellan and Keyboard, restart and then they work again. Repeat each day

bloody mystery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

What happens when the mouse and keyboard lock? If you open a text editor like Notepad, does it print ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
    or some other mess like this?
    Could there be a function shortcut on the laptop say Fn+F11 that disables your keyboard so you can use the touch screen laptop like an iPad?

I hate laptops with passion. 9 times out of 10 it's a keyboard shortcut.

If the laptop gets warm a lot when in use the solder that keeps the laptop and mousepad connected to the motherboard may have come undone or lose hence intermittently stopping and starting.

However if you’re also experiencing the laptop flickering or something when you wake it from sleep, which I think you said earlier, there could be a virus or something like that there too. Best bet would be drop it in to someone and let them have a look inside and out.

If it’s an old laptop though, might just be worth buying a new one. Laptops are a bastard to fix as it is but the older ones are harder to get parts for if needed and like old cars you find after one problem is fixed a new one comes along and it gets worse from there. Better saving the money and buying another if it requires any physical repair.

But definitely drop it into someone; a lot of these places are no fix no fee so just let them know to call you before repairing anything to discuss the cost involved etc, then judge for yourself if it’s worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,444 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

boot with a ubuntu cd to see if does it in that to rule out a software issue

Skerries wrote: »
    boot with a ubuntu cd to see if does it in that to rule out a software issue

Don't have a CD drive

uninstalling/reinstalling the Keyboard and Elan drives seems to fix the problem for the short term but its fairly frustrating. Touchscreen laptops can be fickle at times

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

Don't have a CD drive

uninstalling/reinstalling the Keyboard and Elan drives seems to fix the problem for the short term but its fairly frustrating. Touchscreen laptops can be fickle at times

You can create a ubuntu boot stick using say rufus.ie

• Advertisement
Advertisement