Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oh I wish it could be SixMas every day. Oh wait it is! Ireland vs Italy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

leakyboots wrote: »
    Take the conversion quick

Shouldn't have bothered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Beaut of a try by them.

Should have been cynical and given a penalty away after POM knocked on.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Shades of 2007 all over again. Poor error to give Italy possession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Faugheen wrote: »
    Sent Stockdale on a train back to Belfast
    Maybe he should stay there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

That last try could be crucial. Good win though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Oh dear!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

That was terrible defending.

Bealham excellent off the bench, really took his chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

POM did great when he came on but the last bit was brutal took the polish off the score

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

What was O'Mahony at with that restart. Under no pressure he jumps backwards and knocks it on. Brutal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

What a sickening finish to 20 minutes of good play from Ireland. Infuriating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

We'll rue those Italian tries when it comes to points difference next week, England should have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Very disappointing end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

That's infuriating.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Let's go five point the French.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

Just get a TBP next week and we don’t have to worry about points difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

In fairness to Italy, how was that advantage over?

I think that a solid converted try from the clean possessions off of that platform on the last play says otherwise but under normal calls, yeah you are right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

I don't think it will matter that much as England will absolutely obliterate this Italian side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Similar happened in Rome a good few years ago.. last minute try when Ireland were focused on racking up points..

Fairly sure it proved costly the week after

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I don't think it will matter that much as England will absolutely obliterate this Italian side.

Agree, don’t think it changes anything. If we want to win it we need a BP win next week.

• Advertisement

Its a very us thing to do ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

lawred2 wrote: »
    Similar happened in Rome a good few years ago.. last minute try when Ireland were focused on racking up points..

It did. Came down to that score as France were awarded a last min dubious try against the Scots and we lost the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

lawred2 wrote: »

Ireland getting a bonus point over France is about as likely as a close call for England vs Italy

:pac:

Forget it. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Hope that last try doesn't come back to haunt us.

Curate's egg, scored a load of tries, most or all of the new and fringe players played well. And yet I don't know how happy the team will be after it.

Will Connors phenomenal, I'd start him next week for workrate alone, we'll need someone with that engine against the French. I'll be honest I didn't really notice Doris too much, not sure I'd be giving him the nod over POM who looked sharp (bar that knockon at the end, bizarre) and has played in matches with high stakes at this level. Beirne wasn't far behind Connors either, these new laws will really suit him. CJ was excellent too. Honourable mentions to Keenan who took his tries well and tried to make things happen. Porter was a menace at the breakdown also, Murray had a fine game. Henshaw was dynamite when he came on in fairness to him.

I thought Sexton, Stockdale, Healy won't be too happy with their day's work.

Very curious to see how next week will go, tis a damn sight easier to look good at home against Italy versus the French away

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

razorblunt wrote: »
    ITV missed that chance to talk about it as yer wan wouldn’t shut up,.

Yeah, she did miss it. Was good though especially first half

joeysoap wrote: »
    Yeah, she did miss it. Was good though especially first half

Yeah I thought she was ok but she really does need to follow the less is more approach. She spoke for far too long about nothing really at numerous times.

She’s perfected the Heaslip “laugh at everything” too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

Stander made more metres than the rest of the starting pack combined! Just goes to show how effective he can be when there's more than himself and Ryan carrying.

Source: ESPN Scrum

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

I'll be honest I didn't really notice Doris too much

Turnover and big carry and pass in own 22 led to Keenans 2nd try

Huge carry in build up to Sextons try.

2 clean breaks
    2 defenders beaten

But you didn't notice him?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Stander made more metres than the rest of the starting pack combined! Just goes to show how effective he can be when there's more than himself and Ryan carrying.

I thought he was brilliant. I think he took the majority of restarts as well, except for POM's knock on and maybe one other?

• Advertisement

Was great to see him being used out wider more. Very noticeable difference.

Forwards don't look well drilled, we are nowhere NEAR as effective building pressure through phases and I don't think the pack as a group did much to build a consistent foothold in the game. With our set piece dominance and Italy's penalty count I feel like we should have been able to find more gaps in the Italian defensive line.

Speaking of the penalty count - really felt that Carley wanted to keep Italy in the game, they were under pressure and repeatedly infringing and he didn't want to know - Italy were continually offside also and nothing.

Keenan the pick of the back three for me. Conway did nothing wrong but the ball didn't come his way too often. Stockdale mixed the good with the bad but I maintain that some of his decision making was sub optimal.

Bealham excellent off the bench, saved us two turnovers absolutely belting into the breakdown. Gibson Park went well off the bench, still don't see much between him and Marmion but he had an good debut.

Sexton mixed the good with the bad, Byrne wasn't an improvement but neither were terrible. Back row went well and not much to distinguish the performances other than the relative inexperience of Doris / Connors. Porter best of the rest.

Murray went well and was fairly composed throughout. Wrongly carded but otherwise a good day out.

That won't be good enough next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭VANG1

Looks like ringer out for 4 to 5 weeks. Bad luck

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Farrell so open in his interview, does not sound good about ringrose

The one positive thing about a jaw injury is that he can train without interruption and will hit the ground running once the jaw is repaired and recovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I'll be honest I didn't really notice Doris too much, not sure I'd be giving him the nod over POM who looked sharp (bar that knockon at the end, bizarre) and has played in matches with high stakes at this level.

Odd. You don't notice Doris with a couple of turnovers in open play (one leading to a length of the field try) and big carries yet POM spills the ball twice in his 13 minutes (and throws a wonderful offload) but looks sharp?

As always, people have their minds made up before a ball was touched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭KaneToad

VANG1 wrote: »
    Looks like ringer out for 4 to 5 weeks. Bad luck

A big loss. Himself and James Ryan are our only two world class players.

Synode wrote: »
    What was O'Mahony at with that restart. Under no pressure he jumps backwards and knocks it on. Brutal

So strange, I’m not sure if he thought he was going to be lifted or because he had a quick look at the chasers maybe he thought it would get pinched.
    Eitherway it was a proper brain fart moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭blindsider

We made hard work of a poor and callow Italy.

- 2 tries off mauls

- Back line didn't cut loose until 60 odd mins

- Stockdale will get minced in Paris - he's too inexperienced at 15 to play there in Paris. Conway?

- Murray's card was correct - no clear release of the tackler - but a bit harsh so early, even if he was close to the line. (Carley does like to be centre of attention sometimes, as does his TMO)

- Henshaw can fill in for Ringrose - and hope Ringrose is okay.

- Gamble at the end (which failed unfortunately) shows that we STILL don't have anyone (Captain?) who reviews progress on e.g. 60 mins and says "Right - this is what we're doing for the last 20 mins!" (No. of tries etc). No real leadership IMO.

- When did we last beat FRA in Paris with 4 tries? Looong time ago....! I stopped looking at '2000' when BOD scored 3 tries :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

blindsider wrote: »

- 2 tries off mauls

- Stockdale will get minced in Paris - he's too inexperienced at 15 to play there in Paris. Conway?

- Murray's card was correct - no clear release of the tackler - but a bit harsh so early, even if he was close to the line. (Carley does like to be centre of attention sometimes, as does his TMO)

- Gamble at the end (which failed unfortunately) shows that we STILL don't have anyone (Captain?) who reviews progress on e.g. 60 mins and says "Right - this is what we're doing for the last 20 mins!" (No. of tries etc). No real leadership IMO.

- When did we last beat FRA in Paris with 4 tries? Looong time ago....! I stopped looking at '2000' when BOD scored 3 tries :-(

The only time we have ever scored 4 tries in Paris was actually 2006, but France scored 6 and we still lost the game 43-31.

There's some interesting trivia for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Curate's egg, scored a load of tries, most or all of the new and fringe players played well. And yet I don't know how happy the team will be after it.

Will Connors phenomenal, I'd start him next week for workrate alone, we'll need someone with that engine against the French. I'll be honest I didn't really notice Doris too much, not sure I'd be giving him the nod over POM who looked sharp (bar that knockon at the end, bizarre) and has played in matches with high stakes at this level. Beirne wasn't far behind Connors either, these new laws will really suit him. CJ was excellent too. Honourable mentions to Keenan who took his tries well and tried to make things happen. Porter was a menace at the breakdown also, Murray had a fine game. Henshaw was dynamite when he came on in fairness to him.

Very curious to see how next week will go, tis a damn sight easier to look good at home against Italy versus the French away
    A whole season of Doris completely out playing O’mahony , gets a turnover which sets up Keenans try and O’mahony gets in based on a single offload in an entire season of rugby ? ......seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

Italy should be booted out of the competition at this stage. They offer nothing other than a weekend in Rome every two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

blindsider wrote: »

- 2 tries off mauls

Murray had both hands on the ball while on his feet after making the tackle. You can't have your hands on the ball unless you have completely released the tackled player. Refs make that wrong call all the time. It's non-sensical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

'Didn't notice Doris'?

No. Just no.

Ireland getting a bonus point over France is about as likely as a close call for England vs Italy

:pac:

Forget it. :(

France need a BP too. Both teams will be out to rack up the tries. It could easily end up being something like 33-32 with us winning with BP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

The big difference going to Paris this time is we actually need 4 tries, if we go there in normal circumstances and say we need 4 tries I wouldn’t be optimistic but with us actually needing it it changes the mindset of the Irish players.

England Italy is big not only for us but for France because if England were to win by 20 points for example while it would mean we would only need a win to seal the title it also means France are then well and truly in the running to win it aswell.

France need a BP too. Both teams will be out to rack up the tries. It could easily end up being something like 33-32 with us winning with BP.

I wish I shared your optimism but sorry but that's cloud cuckoo land. Ireland looked average at best today against a typically plucky but ultimately weak Italian side. Yeah sure we had a 20 minute patch of nice fluid passing rugby and some nice bits and pieces in the first half but its an 80 minute game. France will not lay down like Italy did today and we're playing them over there. Granted without the crowd the concept of home advantage is negligible.

Also this is somewhat futile because England will absolutely crush Italy for a points bonanza anyway.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

France looked very susceptible against Scotland.

They are "get at able"

We just need to play the perfect game

sydthebeat wrote: »
    France looked very susceptible against Scotland.

They are "get at able"

We just need to play the perfect game

7 or 8 months ago

They are about to play Wales which is far more relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Hard to know what to say about that game really. It def felt a bit 2007 at the end. But let's remember the context. We have a new coaching set up, its Irelands first game back, we were missing a load of guys who would have been in the 23, no crowd etc etc. If we didn't need to rack up the points so much, would we actually be happy with that?

Let's remember who was missing from the 23. Kilcoyne, Kelleher, Furlong, Henderson, Baird, Leavy, Carbery, Earls & Larmour. Then throw in Ringrose going off in the first half too. That's a serious absentee list. It led to guys with little to no experience at Test level playing. Ed Byrne, Heffernan, Doris, Connors, JGP & Keenan were all either debutants or effectively such. And its not like Ross Byrne has loads of experience at this level either. There was certainly a real callowness about the side. That we still put 50 on the board is probably all right given the circumstances, even considering how poor Italy were.

That said, we def gave them a cheap 14 points and left scores out there too. So from the perspective of winning the 6Ns it was undoubtedly disappointing. Its advantage England now. If we had even kept them out at the end then that would have been a +45 PD on the table. Taken our time over the conversion and maybe even +47. Take an extra chance and we're up to 50-54. That would have wiped out most of Englands PD from next week. And likely at that point, almost any win would have done in Paris. Now we need the TBP win. And sadly I dont see this side getting that. Although seeing as both sides need the tries it could make for a crazy game.

That said, I dont think its a realistic expectation that this side wins the 6Ns given who we will be sending to Paris. And coming 3rd behind a strong England and a resurgent France, having had to travel away to both and send a much weakened side to the latter, isnt a terrible result in the Championship overall. We're the only team on 2 TBPs and the only ones who can match that now is France if they get one next week.

There are positives to the Champiosnhip regardless of result. We are moving to a more heads up type game. That will take time to get right. We are bringing in a lot of young lads into the side. That is something a lot of people have been looking for. We are at this point in time a good deal ahead of our Celtic cousins. That might not say much when we think of Scotland, but Wales only won the GS last year. Next week will probably tell us a lot about the pecking order going into 2021. If we can be competitive in Paris, even if we lose, then I think we can be fairly happy with 2020. It will have been a step in the right direction if nothing else.

• Advertisement
Advertisement