Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Wibbs wrote: »
    One thing that Rolex divers always had were feckin fantastic bracelets. Even the vintage 60's examples have brilliant bracelets(and cases). Plus they show that they wear the years much better than others I've seen of the same age, or younger. Even after daily wear they stretched far less. If you got a 50 year old example, gave it a wash with fairy liquid, rebrushed it with the oul sandpaper* and presented it to someone today as new they'd not blink. Rolex; giving great bracelet since 1960. :D

*Fitz has now fainted. Proper back of the hand to the forehead and swoon too. :D

I hope that's sarcasm...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

unkel wrote: »
    Well wear! Yes a very big and heavy watch. Tall! Lovely colour too.

It's a great quality watch for the money, if I have just one criticism, it would be that I would have liked a glidelock type of adjustment system. If you're gonna copy everything on the watch, apart from the Rolex logos, you might as well copy that! And I believe it is no longer under copyright protection by Rolex. Didn't thirdfox post something like that?

I got my dates wrong - the patent (rather than copyright) runs out in another 9-10 years I recall. ...But! I see genuine brands who aren't fakes have been making glide-lock-esque clasps too - see the Monta clasp.

So glide-lock(esque) is back on the table for the Equinox ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

All the posting on the lip watches spurred me on to get mine repaired. I found a R184 movement and a chap to fit it. Give me a couple of weeks and we should be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭OldRio

Maybe try(if you haven't already of course) this; pull the crown to the date setting position and turn it the opposite way to advancing the date. That's how a couple of my 70's day/dates work.

Hi Wibbs, I tried that. The crown pulls out to the first stop to change time. Then the second stop for the date. The date changes in both directions Clockwise and anti. Plus 1 ot minus 1 depending on direction. I've fiddled about a bit with the crown but alas. Nothing changes the day.
    Never mind it's keeping great time. Thanks for your advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

OldRio wrote: »
    Hi Wibbs, I tried that. The crown pulls out to the first stop to change time. Then the second stop for the date. The date changes in both directions Clockwise and anti. Plus 1 ot minus 1 depending on direction. I've fiddled about a bit with the crown but alas. Nothing changes the day.
    Never mind it's keeping great time. Thanks for your advice.

Worst case advance the time a few 24h periods to get the correct day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

:)... Well modernism arose in Paris like many art and design movements do, neatly bookended by the Eiffel Tower of 1887 and the Pompidou centre or 1977. Now such things as you note are relegated to collectors or lifestylists, often ironically. Hipsters of a vanished dream...

The Pompidou Centre was designed by that absolute legend, Norman Foster, and some other notable British architects. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

cnocbui wrote: »
    The Pompidou Centre was designed by that absolute legend, Norman Foster, and some other notable British architects. :)

Forgetting about an Irishman Peter Rice who made a lot of the design possible! Caught a very good documentary on RTE about him a few months ago.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

cnocbui wrote: »
    It wasn't Norman Foster. It was Richard Rogers, Renzo Piano and Gianfranco Franchini. Two Italians and a half Italian English guy.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

It wasn't Norman Foster. It was Richard Rogers, Renzo Piano and Gianfranco Franchini. Two Italians and a half Italian English guy.

You are correct. I was confused because he and Rogers were partners in a firm called Team 4 and I thought they had both been in on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭oknepop

HKED Bundeswehr V3

c6JozAm.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That's scarily accurate to the Leonidas(Heuer) design. The dial printing is better I reckon. :D Well the numerals certainly are.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭banie01

oknepop wrote: »
    HKED Bundeswehr V3

I've one myself and I bloody love it.
    Don't wind it on the wrist tho, crown has already gone once in mine and as Wibbs said at the time....
    Makes it an even better homage :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

Quite dark out there today. Good lume opportunity for the Seamaster 600m. I just got it back after 10 weeks in Breretons getting its first service since 2007.

Omega Seamaster 600m

Ur5FGYi.jpg

H3mmT0g.jpg

banie01 wrote: »
    I've one myself and I bloody love it.
    Don't wind it on the wrist tho, crown has already gone once in mine and as Wibbs said at the time....
    Makes it an even better homage :pac:

Did Ed sort you out about the crown? I don’t think you should need to be particularly careful about wrist winding - I’ve always wound the 1963 I had on the wrist without issue.

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Did Ed sort you out about the crown? I don’t think you should need to be particularly careful about wrist winding - I’ve always wound the 1963 I had on the wrist without issue.

Yeah, he sorted it out asap in fairness.
    No issues at all with that.

Apparently the original had a tendency to snap stems too and I'm a fan of better safe than sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

My Seiko DayDate 36mm:-)

20201209-194326.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

2shea wrote: »

That's a nice looking 5. I see the fabled snkl23 is available again after hodinkee put a rocket to demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

2shea wrote: »

Nice !

I went for black dial with black date and day and now can't see day-date :-(
    (got NH36A movement so most likely gonna do the swap).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Steinhart Ocean One and the 'true story' of U-Boat boardings (13) in WWII. Also describes the 'Irland' (Ireland) Code for concealing messages (such as the capture of Enigma machines) in private letters sent back to Germany from POW camps.

535706.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Iguarantee

unkel wrote: »
    Well wear! Yes a very big and heavy watch. Tall! Lovely colour too.

It's a great quality watch for the money, if I have just one criticism, it would be that I would have liked a glidelock type of adjustment system. If you're gonna copy everything on the watch, apart from the Rolex logos, you might as well copy that! And I believe it is no longer under copyright protection by Rolex. Didn't thirdfox post something like that?

One things I’ve noticed with the OceanX SHARKMASTER is that the 12 o clock position on the rotating bezel doesn’t exactly line up with the 12 o clock on the watch face.

Is barely noticeable but now that I’ve seen it I can’t unsee it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,404 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Yep. Same here. I'm far from OCD and I don't really care, but I spotted that too...

But shure, this is a €400 watch. Seikos costing over a grand can have this too.

Iguarantee wrote: »
    One things I’ve noticed with the OceanX SHARKMASTER is that the 12 o clock position on the rotating bezel doesn’t exactly line up with the 12 o clock on the watch face.

Is barely noticeable but now that I’ve seen it I can’t unsee it.

As Unkel has said it's a PITA when it happens, but no volume watchmaker has perfect QC.
    Indeed the professional part of me would opine that amongst bespoke makers 100% perfect, 100% of the time is a technical impossibility. Hence the reason for tolerance in specifications.

Now leaving aside the ridiculously boring technicalities of quality management and sigma ;)

It's usually a simple job for a competent jeweller to pop an insert and realign it.
    It's a lovely watch BTW.

Well this was kinda unexpected... but *lots* of brownie points earned with MsThirdfox - a small celebration in our household and an opportunity too good to pass up came up and the first Rolex I've ever bought has entered the collection...

R2kB3dyh.jpg

Pearlmaster for the better three quarters (according to Wibbs :D)

srBYjzEh.jpg

She loves it - this could be well be her "one and done" watch (when she's not modelling/enjoying a Sólás timepiece). And now I get to point out to her that she now owns the most expensive watch in our household (at least per rrp) :D

It also makes you realise that hmm - you can get a solid gold Rolex for the price of stainless steel men's Datejust/Submariner - world is pretty mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

My Seagull 1963, more inscrutable than enigmatic.

535717.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭oknepop

SBBN015 today.

soIAyar.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Its a gud un

PXL-20201210-152440818.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,058 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Year starting to change over on the PC :D

TAUH1iC.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭mountain

I logged in just to thank the beginning of the year change...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭893bet

Cyrus wrote: »
    Year starting to change over on the PC :D

TAUH1iC.jpg

Having little experience with PC I am a little disappointed that’s it’s not a snap over at midnight.

Though now thinking about it...it does make sense that it is slowly changing when you consider the amount of cogs and wheels that are controlling the once yearly movement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,058 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

893bet wrote: »
    Having little experience with PC I am a little disappointed that’s it’s not a snap over at midnight.

Though now thinking about it...it does make sense that it is slowly changing when you consider the amount of cogs and wheels that are controlling the once yearly movement.

yes i was thinking the same, but i guess it all part of the charm :P

Advertisement