Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Thats one of my favorites , on my to get list but knowing my luck it will discontinue before I get it and I'll miss the boat on prices again.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,429 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

They're still reasonable ish money for a Rolex steel sports watch. If you want one, get one now. Sell something else if you have to!

Every time I sell a watch I regret it .Birthday coming in April so it will be either the Millgaus or blue dial yachtmaster. I’m hoping to get the blue dial OP soon so if that appears before then ,I’ll go for the Milgaus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Very comfortable, probably could do with one more link but overall really happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,105 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

have you tried a blue dialled yachtmaster? i thought it would be the "one" for me, but i didnt keep it very long in the end, bit underwhelming.

• Advertisement

I tried a rhodium dial yachtmaster on in Dawson’s and liked it but felt the rhodium blended in with the platinum bezel too much , but I liked the case size and obviously the oyster bracelet.I also tried the blue dial OP at the same time and loved that but they had it at €9k which I felt was excessive for an 41mm OP.So came away thinking the combination of both would be the blue dial yachtmaster You’re right I should go try it on.Weirs have an exhibition only one there so will call in.

Thanks for that, I might see you in Weir's tomorrow so 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 16,771 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Meant to say when I saw your pic, lovely piece and a really gorgeous dial.

Rotation day 😁 the Chinesium strap has been very comfortable and I'm now on the hunt for a Kosher Omega 20mm strap and clasp if anyone is letting one go.

The weekend shall be timed on the Sinn 103 Military MkIV

I don’t need a dive watch for the small amount of swimming I do but get plenty of use from them as a BBQ watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Today's choice, a Tissel Vintage Sub. Assembled in Korea from the Chinese fakers parts bin. The homage of all homages, miyota 905S, sapphire dome and ceramic bezel.

That's an attractive albeit very much a copy, watch. If memory serves didn't someone else in the parish have the Tissell Explorer? (Maybe you?)

That also struck me as a lovely looking homage, no idea how well put together but some of those pieces really do give an exceptional bang for the buck.

I wrote my post above, a few hours before this article ran in the times...

I am feeling as if someone was reading over my shoulder 🤣. The article is Subscriber only, so I'll include a couple of quotes.

An Irish night out before Covid typically included a pub, and a night “out out” included several of them, followed by mangled dancing. When is the last time you were out out, and when do you expect to be able to do it uninhibited again?

We are 22 months into a pandemic that has jammed its fun-busting tentacles into every orifice of society. As well as killing close to 6,000 people and presenting us with a financial bill that will top €50 billion, Covid has also thrown a leaden weight upon our social interactions. Few other parts of the economy have borne the strain of this more than our near 7,000 pubs.

It is no longer hyperbolic to suggest that unless the pandemic fizzles out soon, the concept of the Irish pub as we know it could be under real threat. Either the majority of them won’t survive until the end, or those that do will find themselves struggling to trade in a market that has changed forever.

Plenty of shared views and tbh whilst the view on chains and in particular tied houses gaining more foothold here isn't something I want to see happening.

But, the capital demanded to ensure an offering that can continue to draw customers is far more than can be sustained by the traditional single owner/operator style of Irish operator IMO.

The usual routine of an Irish night out, and it's multiple pit stops before the late bar or the club are over. It was dying before Covid, but Covid IMO hastened that demise. It reinforces my own notion that a "destination" venue, a one stop place for the entire night is the next big thing in the "night-time economy".

Yes, I have the 905ex from Tissel. At one point I was teetering towards a Rolex and they seemed a good way to get a look and feel. In truth Rolex designs are so classic you don't need to go that far, the aesthetic is perfect on the Rolex.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Did you find the movement in the explorer noisy when it's self winding?

Is that one of the watches you are putting on the chopping block?

No I can't say I've actually noticed rotor noise. They say it's there in the 9015/905S.

I will say, the Korean regulates the movements very well and they hold the regulation. My vintage Sub is reporting +2s/d.

Yeah, I'll probably put both up and keep what doesn't sell. If you want the 905EX PM me, I don't know if that is kosher, but it's be done before.😁

So bit of a watch shop day today. Went to Dawson's first to meet the buyer of my blue OP39. They sure have a lot of watches there, tons of steel sport Rolex alone. Would be a good place to try some on. High prices though, a Milgauss was €11.5k. The reason for meeting there was to put the buyer at ease. Dawson's verify a Rolex for €50, you can just walk in and it takes about an hour. That's pretty reasonable for what it is and great value for the peace of mind it brings

Then to Weir's. Went straight to the Rolex displays and got talking to a very nice Italian man who worked there. Asked him what the story was with the waiting list. I was on it since May 2020 for a no date sub. He says since it's now a new model, you would have to apply to go on the waiting list again from scratch. Also he asked for spending history. Which I don't have. Was open and straight about it, not arrogant and laughing me out of it at all as some people's experience is. We had a nice chat about various Rolex models. They didn't have the blue YM40 exhibition model any more, these go on rotation between the different shops. They did have a rose gold YM on the oysterflex rubber, which I tried on. Have to say I was quite underwhelmed. It was of course very small and it didn't look as posh / bling / classy as some would tell you. The also had an air king, cool watch, brilliant entry level Rolex. And a James Cameron. Would be very good for anyone on the fence about one, to try it on

Then a quick look at those antique / jewelry / watch shops in the Powerscourt Town centre. One of them had a James Cameron for sale. When I asked about it, the lady told me it was just sold and the new owner was picking it up. Sold for €17k, also quite strong, but I guess that is retail pricing for you

Was a good day and it's put my mind at rest. I now no longer fancy any other Rolex, the JC is the one for me, although I still wouldn't mind trying on a blue YM40 if I came across one...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,732 ✭✭✭micks_address

Yep that's right Mick. You try it on?

Didn't try on but seen in the window before Xmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Sounds like a good days work Unkle. Dawson sure know how to price a watch, to the point where you would not even be bothered negotiating. Good to get hands on with watches, internet research and youtube vids are no substitute.

Yeah I thought they were wild expensive but someone bought a GMT the day we were in. Speedmasters were all 6k plus.. did pretty much the same shops a Saturday before Xmas.. I had the card from my datejust with me which wad bought in weirs so they took it as purchase history even though I wasn't the name on the card..put my name down for a Batman which I've no expectations about getting

Plenty people don't want to do much research / accept high street retail prices are a lot higher than online prices and are willing to pay for the ease of the transaction and the peace of mind. Someone has to pay Dawson's rent! And I'd say you probably get a few hundred off those Rolex steel prices?

Anyway nice Tissell there njburke. I forgot I got a Doxa homage a week or two ago. Very good value for what they are

Nice way to spend a day Unkel.Was it Marco you dealt with in weirs? I seen the blue yachtmaster in there just after stephens day , you would think exhibition pieces could stay in the store?

When I was in they told me that Rolex are increasing production for this year so are expecting to get pieces out to the wait list customers a bit quicker .Did you get a similar story by any chance ?

Wouldn't mind trying that unkel if you ever passing it on

@scwazrh - not sure what his name was, but he told me he was Italian so that could match the name Marco alright. Didn't get any story about production increases. But you can forget about the waiting list if you have no spending history. It simply doesn't exist. Unless you start spending tens of thousands of EUR there in high margin less desirable stuff like jewelery or lady's Rolex etc. I most certainly will not, so I didn't even bother putting my name down again.

@micks_address - sure thing Mick! I'll give you first refusal

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Some people are just loaded and don't care. Especially if they can walk out of a bricks and mortar shop with what they want. I know a few guys who just aren't interested in shopping online for things like that

Unkel, were you sporting the sea dweller when you talked with the sales guy? I mean they must get tyre kickers and muggles and people who think buying a Rolex at retail is a possibility. Hard to keep engaged as a salesperson doing that all day.

Aquamarine Seestern on adverts at the moment.

If we ever had a meetup, i'ld love to compare the doxa to the seestern.

Oh yes I showed him the James Cameron and told him I owned 3 Rolex. Once they know you're a serious collector they show immediate respect and we had a nice chat about the watches. That doesn't change anything on the waiting list though. Unless you just get extremely lucky and they take a liking to you.

• Advertisement

Advertisement