Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I was wearing this yesterday. It was the third watch I picked up when I started having a real interest in watches , can’t remember the exact price under €100 for definite. I know I bought it from a seller on eBay who used to sell a huge amount of seiko and citizen on the Singapore eBay site . Pokémonyu or similar name. Customs never seemed to be an issue then so used to get incredible value on the watches.

By coincidence it’s a birth year watch for my son and only a month older than him so he wears it now but needed a battery change so was passed back to me for the day .

model is sna255 with a 7t62 movement so accuracy is as you would expect from a Seiko quartz .Its actually a very nice watch .

Having now learned more on my watch collecting journey I can obviously feel the cost savings and notice the minimal finishing which is to be expected at that price point .The cheapest of cheap quartz movement makes the watch feel near hollow but I remember wearing it and thinking “ sure why would you spend thousands on a watch when this one is so good”

If only I had listened to myself I could of nipped this obsession in the bud.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Going to try to be more active on here this year! 🙂 To start with, currently sitting in Dublin Airport waiting on a flight to the UK to attend a watchmaking course at the British Horological Institute tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

I got this lovely Zelos swordfish in yesterday, the dial is stunning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Some days I just fancy the understated elegance of a gold plated, Seiko twin quartz.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

For those of you who are interested in Seiko's they have just released a new model which is apparently limited to Europe and 3500 pieces. It is called the King Samurai and seems to cost around €750.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,732 ✭✭✭micks_address

Some details here

https://monochrome-watches.com/seiko-prospex-samurai-limited-edition-shu-iro-srph61k1-hands-on-price/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭893bet

Really like the scalped lugs design, Similar to what you see on some Patek.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭boetstark

Santa Clause was very generous this year

Post edited by Wibbs on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Nice side to it, dont often see that view. I think you are a bit smitten with it.....a surprise victory

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

The 2 best things to come through my door today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Had one, sold it . Took 3 years to find another , even shmbo won’t let me sell again

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Cassius99

I picked up this Citizen AT6080 back in November as a daily beater. Does the job well.

Synced it with the JJY app. It's running about 2 seconds a month slow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Out on a job earlier.

IMHO silver is a lovely case material that's sadly under used these days. It has a lustre that steel lacks. Though it is a soft metal, so rounded shapes are what it suits best, but clearly it lasts long enough.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

I got a stingray strap for my custom Vostok today... Two things this group loves 😂😂😂

The strap is an aquired taste ...Im sure one or two other oddballs enthusiasts here will like it .

That blue dial though is very nice for a watch at that price point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Didn't realize that was possible. JJY only uses the Japanese frequency there is options for elsewhere though.

Know there's a few here who got the Sinn wall clock that only receives the German DCF77 signal so it could be useful to them.

Or Clock Wave you can get it on IOS or you can sideload the APK on Android.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭tadgho

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

lovely watch Cassius,

is it similiar to bn0118 etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Thanks DT. Yeah it's one of my faves too, top three, easy. Have it nearly 30 years now. 😮 So many memories. Over the years I've read various 'experts' claim you can't wear a trench watch regularly. Hold my beer... You can if it's not bollexed, which too many of the same experts are trying to flog clapped out ones.

I got it for 150 pounds in old money in London because the dealer lad hearing I was a Longines man fetched it out and said this is the oldest Longines wristwatch I have. SOLD! 😁 it was as black as your boot with tarnish, though the radium lume had been removed. I got it serviced and then tried to relume it with 'luminous paint' I got in an arts shop at the bottom of Harcourt St in Dublin. Well it was pre-interwebs so I thought I was only great. I wasn't. 😁 I'm glad I finally did it right a few years ago with a paintbrush copying(after much cursing and do-overs) the radium girls of olde with Seiko lume and a hint of a tint of burnt sienna watercolour. Now it glows like feckin' Chernobyl and stays readable through the night.

IMHO out of the Swiss; Longines, Zenith and Tavannes made the best Trench watches(IWC and Omega would be in the mix with movements). Longines cases with their swinging lugs as opposed to the simple wire loops the rest were using were among the best of the case designers.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Wearing the Seiko Arnie out and about earlier and caught it at home in the gloaming. Surely the Predator would have seen the lume a mile off!

Also, hi everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Cassius99

Roy, I have the BN0118 too, and while it's from the same stable, the AT just seems to be a little bit more high end, a little more well put together. In some ways though the BN seems a bit more rugged, that I wouldn't be too worried in knocking it about as much.

Post edited by Cassius99 on

Seiko lume FTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

New build:

Seiko SNK361 with dial from SNXS79J1 and

NH36a movement

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭tadgho

Defo getting my hairy the older I get. Wearing the black sub this week. Reminds me how little i actually look at the date.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

Chilin' in the bureau with the Sub Date under the beady eye of my ancestor (a bad chap about town in his day - Redcoat etc.).

[WTF is with photos going up sideways?]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Do you get a free Tissell with every pizza or a free pizza with every Tissell?! 😁

I bought myself this, after a good 10 months of dithering. I was afraid it would be the death knell to all my watches because once you start wearing a smart watch, and start measuring and monitoring your various metrics - HR, sleep, body battery, steps, workouts etc, then you have to (or want to) keep at it. Not to mention the convenience of reading texts and (praise Jebus) the "find my phone" facility!!!

I had an older Garmin with a shorter battery life and when I had to take it off to charge it it opened the door for a normal watch to take its place, at least for a while. But this one has a much better battery, as well as being solar, so for the time being anyway it's been completely dominant.

I absolutely love it I have to say. It's the most comfortable watch I've worn in a long time.

Advertisement