Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Cassius99

Enjoying a day off today, just watching an episode of Wheeler Dealers I hadn't seen before as Ed and Mike tackle a Skyline.

As much as I love the look of the Hamilton Pan Europ, it's not something I wear too often as it can be a little loud. Maybe that can be the New Years resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

The downside with this case is the crown doesn't come out far enough for a good grip on the crown to set the time, it's fiddly at best at worse there's lateral force on the crown as you roll it from one side.

The day and date setting on the 6106 is slick though, a short push in on the crown index's the date, a longer deeper push index's the day wheel. An overloaded mechanical operator, love to see the gubbins that does that function.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

The Vostok is getting a run out today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

I've been trolled here pretty much every day for the past six months and I've taken it and given it back at times but mostly ignored it.

What I announced was that anyone in future who personally abused me I would report it/them. LOL !!!! What a waste of time that was.

I've lost count but it must have been around ten times I reported people but never got as much as an acknowledgement. Zero action, zero feedback, good bad or indifferent.

I left here before but when Fitz II and his troll mates decided to have some fun with a genuine troll and found it a laugh to finger me as the sockpuppet I reluctantly decided to return if only to be able more readily defend myself.

So you ignore everything and when I ask a tongue in cheek question about the reliability of a certain watch brand it brings the wrath of Wibbs down on me.

My biggest mistake was coming back. This will definitely be my last post on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Only an hour over your 1 wk ban and your off already

• Advertisement

Thats a great looking watch.I noticed James may was wearing the blue version of that on the grand tour in Madagascar .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Fitz II

James May has a white face Milgauss too (appropriate with his science bent), seem he is a bit of a collector. Loved old Wheeler Dealers with Mike and Ed, story goes that Ed was a bit of a diva and when the show went to America is all fell apart. Still the classic UK based episodes are gold.

May does seem to have an interesting collection .So does Hammond , regularly wears a gmt .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

He's stated he's not coming back to the forum S, so let's leave it there. And I think it a pity and IMHO he's not alone in pettiness or having delicate egos at times(not you S). This was by a long way the easiest and most pleasant forum to mod and post in I've been involved with on this site and others. Before a couple of years ago other than Indian spammers, Chinese shills and one more local Russian watch "modder"(and he was actually OK right up to the point where he wasn't), I never banned or had to warn a single person in nearly a decade and the only reported posts were for spammers. Sadly that's changed. And it's a pity and TBH my affection for the forum at times has waned because of it. But as I said, let's try and leave it there and hopefully move on.

PS: the report post function is essentially useless since the changeover. You would have to literally have to have the reported posts forum open and constantly refreshing and nobody has time for that bollocks. So if anyone sees anything amiss, please PM me instead.

But as I said, let's please move on. If you have a problem take it to PM. Thanks.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Have seen Hammond with a sub too, and a orange strap Tissot fancy quartz outdoors watch. Clarkson seems to have a few omegas. I bet those lads dont wait on lists in the AD :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

May has a few 70's quartz too, including one of these

bloody massive in the flesh. Very off their time. Not a good buy mind you as the modules break down and good luck with spares and values have dropped. Same for the Heuer Chronosplit and for the same reasons. Where once they commanded 4-5K now more like just over 1.

He seems to be the only one with any vintage stuff going on.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

This just popped up on my feed and it seems they ain’t got nothing on supercar blondie

I would like to watch for the wacth content, but I cannot as its supercarblondie a scurge on all mankind.....she really needs to draw a glowing line around the surprised face shot if she wants dem juicy clicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

I took one for the team and watched it. I don't know how she ended up with so much money from only a few years of success on Youtube, but a Platinum Daytona, Rainbow Daytona, RM030, A few Vanguards, AP's and a lovely Aquanaut rounds it out.

I think the Rainbow Daytona is foul, but obviously the most expensive. The green Aquanaut is probably the nicest tbh, but it's a very nouveau riche collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭893bet

The video is point in case of why some watches are hard to get. Most were bought as they were hard to get ( unless you have €€€€), just so they can say they have them and the video centres fully around their value.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

For awhile I was convinced that you were actually James May.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,106 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Clarkson wore (or wears still) and IWC top gun a lot of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,732 ✭✭✭micks_address

didnt Alan sugar tweet a few years ago he fancied a daytona and low and behold got one pretty soon after? Also seen Keanu reeves bought all the stunt crew a sub on his latest john wick movie? i guess its the same old story if you have the money you can get what you want... ive always fancied a top gun...

Which is 99% of that end of the market. It is what it is. When you produce something that looks like Liberace's codpiece it's got pretty much nada to do with the watch part. It's a luxury bracelet that happens to tick. Look at the difference between John Mayers first and second outings on Hodinkee. That's a pretty good reflection of how one section of the market changed and in many ways went mainstream. The first had mostly tool watches, many with history, with two Pateks and one of them was in steel with a rubber strap. The second had a procession of Daytonas, many of them iced up like a rapper's teeth.

Speaking of John Mayer... if anyone comes across any of the casio specials he's done.. my son is a super fan.. they are going well over the initial asking unfortunately

• Advertisement

That's a problem with any of the Hodinkee 'specials'. A huge percentage seem to be bought by dealers/scalpers to flip for profit. Even their laughably awful and wildly overpriced travel clock. Hodinkee well know it and are happy with it too. It's part and parcel of their business model. On the Mayer Casios sales were limited to five per customer. Sod all people are buying five watches for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭markad1

My 2 favorites at the min.....

Tissot T Touch Connected Solar

Breitling B50 Cockpit Night Mission

Every day is a Samsung Watch 4, not even going to show that 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭ballyrhy86

New to me 1950s Omega...

cool omega.. do you know what the innards are like? I always look at vintage and im afraid of insides.. and redials and water damage etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,626 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Got the Steinhart Ocean One 39 GMT a few days ago. Meant to replace 'my diver' which is a Seiko skx013.

Turned out quite nice although build quality wouldnt be a big up from the Seiko. Probably on a par more or less. But I prefer the cyclop date (not getting any younger) and the busier dial.

Will it be a keeper? Only time will tell. For now I'm happy enough with it. Not an everyday watch in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭ballyrhy86

I haven't been brave enough to open the caseback myself so these are the seller's images. These yokes can be a bit like Trigger's broom but AFAIK it's had new hands, crown and crystal but the rest is original.

+1 on the rest being original. Very nice. The hands suit it too. Often they don't. The original crowns from this period for some reason can be tiny and a pain to wind. Plus back in the day where a man or woman would usually only have one 'good watch' for life or at least decades, crowns were seen as a wear item, so are often replaced. This was a high point for movements in my humble. Very well designed and engineered and very solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

Pretty much the focus of the collection at the moment. Not the most exciting of watches (I wouldn't know enough to risk big bucks on something not as well known), but classics all and good, reliable, solid timekeepers. L-R: 2006 Rolex Submariner 16610; 1975 Rolex Datejust 1603; 2019 Omega Speedmaster (hesalite).

I heard the case on the new speedmaster was sharp....but this takes the piss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Cassius99

Would never have been a fan of fluted bezels, but I have to admit that Datejust is very attractive.

Advertisement