Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭893bet

based on the photo you ain’t drinking…..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Don’t know , tis enough to get me to valenmas or is that christtine??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That's a nice looking timepiece S. For all their Moonwatch and Jimmy Bond stuff, Omega, who have a history of innovation, accuracy, excellence and cool that a crowd like Patek could only feckin' dream of. And if they did, they'd feel guilty. Well Omega will bring out a modern/current design like that. And one that has nods for the nerds to their past. Longines are mostly busy selling the 1920's, 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, with a hint of a tint of the 70's. Well cos they can to be fair. Rolex haven't ever stopped selling the 50's/60's/70's. Well because they can't to be fair. And PP, AP and VC are now trying to flog us velour, chopper bikes and the Bay City Rollers as 'cool'? Wut de aktual? 😳😄

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,734 ✭✭✭micks_address

I don't suppose you'd be tempted to sell the seamaster s? Can I ask what your wrist size is and how you find the bracelet?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Just a little something to tide me over.

G-Shock, virtual reality (not my description). €100 all in. The hands are neon blue caught in the right light.

In the sunlight

And a wee bit of lume

Post edited by Birneybau on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Where did you get it B?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,432 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Now for the most interesting watch I have yet owned. Controversial of course. The cork handmade strap from Portugal obviously added by me, this thread is not about that, let's stick with the watch itself. Here goes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

So what I don't understand is how that's any more controversial than some of the San Martin or other homages put there that are the same in all but that's printed on the dial?

Those are homages. This is a fake. As in they shouldn't have used the words "Marina Militare" as that is copyrighted by Panerai. But what's interesting here is that this is a better made watch than the original.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

In one way it's kinda mad that "Marina Militare" is copyrighted by Panerai. It was on other watches by different brands issued to the Italian navy. Briel an obvious one.

Squale another

Others were DPW and IIRC there were a few Casio G-Shocks in the mix too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Agreed. It is a generic term meaning navy. Weird they got that copyrighted. I'd say some brown envelopes or something else sinister was involved there 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 16,771 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The talk a few days ago of Seamasters has mine back on the wrist today. Tried to get a pic that highlights the wave dial V the aluminium bezel.

@Unkel not gonna lie, I'd never have clocked the fake v real on that Pam. I have, as has been shown by previous posts near zero knowledge on them and thanks to here swerved a fake last year. I do like the strap tho! Sets off the watch nicely.

Some Google Fu does point towards a lot of custom handwind Pam's being available that are both fake as unicorn 💩whilst being far better quality than the original watch. I find that amazing tbh!

Some Google Fu does point towards a lot of custom handwind Pam's being available that are both fake as unicorn 💩whilst being far better quality than the original watch. I find that amazing tbh!

Production tech that used to be the preserve of big industrial concerns can now be found in small offices in China and some of that is used for ill. Though one could argue it has had the effect of upping the game of the brands. Rolex are the most faked by far and today's small scale production technology could copy a 90's Rolex pretty easily, to the degree that it's usually the absolutely tiny details that catch them out. A new Rolex would be much more difficult to fake as the fit, finish and materials have come on by leaps and bounds. They're keeping ahead of the fakers.

The vintage Panerai world is even crazier. There were a load of old stock parts that went walkabout when Richemont bought them out(and set their prices to 'Luxury'). Rattle up a few cases, get the movement out of old travel/alarm clocks(which used to be easy to find for buttons), stick on a real dial and voila! Fun and profit. There was one father and son duo who sold these frankens and outright fake vintage examples to dealers and collectors and a good few went through Antiquorum auctions. The latter not one bit of a shock. A load of dodgy watches have graced their catalogues.

Yeah I'm leaning towards buying nothing at this stage and keep an eye out for the newer seamaster cheaper if one comes up

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭kostal2093

Out of curiosity, how is that a better made watch than the Panerai?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,106 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Cigar for you, Sir!

Ken Sato, some interesting info and the quality of the watch can almost be felt from some of the pics:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,626 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Very interesting stuff.

Way too big for me and not quite my style but the quality is palpable from the pics alone. Its a beautiful watch and a collectors item for sure. Nice one!

It's 47mm and 58mm lug to lug, but they wear very small. Would be perfectly fine on an average 7" wrist, some even say on a small 6.5" one

• Advertisement

I'm willing to give it a go Unk. So long as I can put my keys and all spare change in my right pocket. For balance. 😁

😂

The watch weighs nothing though. Compared to a proper Rolex modern diver (pun intended there as these watches were originally made by Rolex for Panerai). And sure cork is lighter than air 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Fitz II

So it's a high quality two grand light weight fake panerai....not one of the regular fakes it is a fake whose claim to fame is it's run was cut off due to legal action. Sought after in the...what..fake panerai collecting community or the rich homage collectors community

Let me process that for a while for some reason my eye won't stop twitching. 🧐

It's light weight compared to a James Cameron on a bracelet ;-)

Two grand? I'll sell it to you for 1900 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭scwazrh

At least its a premium strap on that high quality fake.

And I have I read that corretly , Is it 2grand???

I would rate a pangani designs watch above it. At least that uses its own brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Fitz II

I am tall compared to Peter Dinklage.

That ad from 2017 asking 2200 euro.

Strap and watch are well paired.

Still think it's a fine line. The seestern I have is basically a doxa fake but it's not a fake cause they print seestern on the dial?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I've wanted one of these lunar Pilots for ages! Missed out on a few bargains and always thought them a bit pricey at full RRP but an email from Dayt.ie about a sale revealed one left in stock at a great price so I sent for it. Just arrived today all boxed "real nice", like a little Valentine's gift all for me! 😁

Lovely watch. I went in to see it last week before buying cos I'd never seen one close up in real life and immediately loved it. Its one of those watches to which pictures do not do justice.

Standard strap is bordering on nasty however, but sure twill do the job.

• Advertisement

Your watch doesn’t claim to be Doxa. It’s real.

The other is a worthless fake really. I will offer 100 quid to charity to have it destroyed live on video.

Advertisement