Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭kostal2093

😃 The fact that Anthony is pushing them of late is the bit that worries me. They are a nice watch though and well worth a look if considering an AP RO. Not saying they are the same but hard to justify the price differential in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭893bet

To quote a wise man who recently said to me….. the model at the moment is almost defined and described by the watches you don’t own (and maybe desire).

Any conversation quickly turns to “they are like a Naut or an RO etc.”

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The GP came out a year before the Nautilus so both of them were copying the RO trend(Rolex took another couple of years). GP hedged their bets and made it two tone gold for luxury(AP were soon to do same)and with a quartz movement(one of the finest ever made). The name translates as "graduate" in Italian because their Italian distributor was looking to sell units on the back of an existing tradition for Italian parents to buy their newly minted degree holding kids a nice watch. It worked too.

The Italian market has driven quite a few watch trends. They were about the biggest buyers of the RO. After the Rolex Daytona got an auto movement in the early 90's it was Italian buyers who drove sales. Italian collectors also drove both the high end pocketwatch collecting thing and later the mechanical wristwatch.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭kostal2093

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

Erroyl Heritage Royal #104 of 300

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭traco

Thought I'd slap this on and give it an outing especially since I had the battery / capacitir things changed and resealed by Seiko. 2003 Arctura Chronograph, first decent watch I bought in Hong Kong. Its probably a bit small for my wrist but I like the wight and feel of it. Its so mych better than the smart watch thing I usually wear if in the office.

I popped into Lidl on the way home and saw this. Grabbed it and the milk and a chainsaw as you do.

It won't win any awards but for €13 it's perfectly acceptable. The inserts for the watches are a bit small or maybe my wrists are at fault. Anyway it does a job and just fits in the safe so happy out.

No idea why the image is 90 degrees out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Welcome to the hobby Traco, its a slippery slope once you have a box....sure there are two empty slots....No so sure on that Arctura its a challenging aesthetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

That's very cool, I like it a lot. Everything's just enough out of whack to give it an odd balance. Shows signs of actual wear too! Can't go wrong with the lidl box for the money, and unlike many boxes it's at least not gaudy.

Cheers guys. I've always liked watches but when I got the IWC in 2005 I stopped looking for a while. I don't wear it that often but it's really nice when I do.

Herself does not like the Arctura either but I do and I like it's tech. I tend to go for engineering type stuff, same with cars. As I work with equipment I tend to wear the Hauwei GT2 cos I can see a WhatsApp or answer a call but it's convinced me I'm not a smart watch guy. The King Turtle and King Samurai I really like as smart tool watches. Great for holidays, swimming, business travel etc.

The other two spaces will take some time and funds but I'm thinking and older speedmaster on a leather strap as one. Not sure about the other. An old buddy in the US has an older Panerai that is all steel and I like it but not sure. I'm thinking a dress watch would make sense and I like some of the IWC models. However I probably wear a suit once a year.

Anyway there is no rush and dipping in and out of this thread is great. Lots of stuff I haven't seen and can lead you down a rabbit hole that you didn't know existed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,734 ✭✭✭micks_address

Two watches go for a Guinness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Ignoring price and brand , Just based on two watches which do you prefer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,771 ✭✭✭✭banie01

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

Post edited by Wibbs on

• Registered Users Posts: 65,432 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Seamaster a better size and better colour. Submariner wins on all other fronts 😂

For my wrist size i think that particular sub is a little small. Its a much more elegant and easy to wear watch than the seamaster. The 300 feels a lot chunkier and heavier and the bracelet is just a tank compared to the sub.. i like the colour and bezel more on the seamaster.. i wouldnt kick either out of bed. if it wasnt a rolex id probably say id prefer the seamaster.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Hard choice. For me and my wrist the Sub. Though again for my wrist I'd go more for the vintage/previous Sub case design.

Word to the wise; if you ever get one of these, don't send it to Germany for servicing, or think twice. They'll insist, or used to insist anyway, on changing out old parts for NOS a la Rolex. I stipulated in writing don't beadblast the case, don't change the steel chrono pushers and crown(the very earliest aren't anodized), don't change the dial/hands and I didn't want the offered NATO numbered caseback(as a civillian mine would be rarer). Fine sez they, if a little confused. Comes back a few weeks later and the one thing I didn't mention, the bezel, they feckin changed for NOS. 😡🤦 WTF email followed. Apologetic, but kinda not and claimed they'd chucked the original away. back then they probably had, when on ebay if you got a tenner for one you'd be lucky. Today they'd be 160 quid. These days I'd say they'd leave well alone as spares prices have gone daft, a least in dealer's heads. Like 250 quid for bollexed dials with numerals missing 🤦

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Dev1234

Finally got around to putting my Solas Starlight salmon leather strap on my Speedmaster. Took a while to get used to the new strap but really liking it now.

Tricky to take an picture that does the strap justice - really nice detail and finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Aye, that works.

• Advertisement

For me the seamaster is a better watch and nicer looking .I find the sub more comfortable to wear though .When you’ve both in your hand at the same time you can tell the seamaster is better but it’s the sub that most people would choose.

I wouldn't mind trying a newer sub versus the seamaster or if my gmt magically arrives in weirs that be an interesting comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Not really, the sub kicks the seamasters ass. Classier look, less blingy, less shiny, much better bracelet. New sub or old sub are almost identical except less taper on the bracelet. GMT exactly same as sub except slightly thicker. The seamaster is a great watch, but the sub is the GOAT. Its not even close having owned almost every seamaster and almost every sub.

Not for nothing the Rolex is twice the price of the seamaster

• Registered Users Posts: 65,432 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Twice, it should be 3-4 times the price of the seamaster 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

• Registered Users Posts: 16,771 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Got a BB58 this morning. First impression is it is small maybe too small for me . Love the gilt dial though . I probably should have tried it and a 41mm on before buying but I’ll see how it goes. Also in the pic are my watch posters which imho are class and remind to do some work while in the office .

Also got a Tudor royal 41mm which is a replacement for the one I got a few weeks ago that had a day date spasm in less than 24 hours of ownership. They didn’t have another one in stock so had to wait a few weeks for one to come in .Hopefully this one is ok .It’s something different from the rest of my watches

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

I'd love to see a SOTC @scwazrh

Between your Seiko's and all your heavy hitters you must have a very big collection at this stage?

Advertisement