Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭scwazrh

The strap tan line is coming on well. Only brought two watches on holidays this time after the comments on my last holiday watches got me paranoid about having more than that with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,436 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Sub is the perfect sun holiday watch. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭tmg

a little present to myself over the summer. I normally sport a standard GSAR, but got temtped by the new arctic...

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭covey123

Sampling my first attempt at making Sloe Gin that's been 8 months maturing.Will definitely be be on the to do list again this Autumn!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭scwazrh

A 90s sub is what started my watch obsession and a sub really is watch perfection for me.My current one is a 2021 model but once prices level out I’ll chase a two line model .

This holiday I have the sub and my panerai which is on a green panerai rubber strap. Throw in a Seiko samurai or turtle and what else is needed really in a watch collection ?When I eventually get finished in the watch collection journey I can see that being my 3 watch collection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭893bet

Can you taste the sloe? Colour looks amazing!

Off topic but did you build on family land?

Sub is the ultimate one and done watch in my (barbaric or at least unsophisticated) view 😁

Personally I don’t consider the “need” in a collection more. The more I look at watches the more I mentally veer my collection towards roughly the same watch style. A lot of people chase the perfect collection to include a perfect dress watch, perfect tool watch, perfect sports watch plus and all rounder plus a gshock or what ever (Now I don’t think, from what I can’t recall of your collection, you haven’t certainly done this as yours most are “sports” watches Rolex/Tudor/Pam and almost fill the “same” need”..

i don’t see a need to to have a final collection. Be it a 3 and done or whatever. Taste change as you change. And I know nothing in my collection is unsellable really at this point (engraved DDS aside purely as it’s unbuyable).

Trinkets. Spend two weeks at home “isolating” and didn’t wear a watch. Wonder if I am fully interested these days 😀.

Fingers crossed that in three years time, watch prices are back sensibile and you can buy any watch you like for X and sell it 6 months later for (X-<500) and are thankful you got to experience such an exquisite piece for peanuts. I also have my doubts we will get there.

Nice post @893bet. I never got the concept / the need of having a "collection" comprising of different watch styles.

Yeah great taste,and the colour starts to develop very quickly. Lovely aroma to it too,I added orange zest ,so it has what I would best describe as a " winter" smell, so I will be setting it aside for few months. Definitely worth giving it a go if you have easy access to some blackthorn trees as very easy do, hardest part is the wait!

Recipe I used here:

As regards the build,yes on family land, albeit on the inlaws land.Are you planning a build?

• Advertisement

It looks nice. Did realise it wasn’t full “scratch”. Which means it’s easier and I could try that! Plenty white thorn around but black is a little more difficult but I think I know where there is a few.

I also built a house on family land and my fencing regime was similar. If you had bought the site I note the fencing is usually a lot more robust with concrete posts. Chain link etc and a hedge quickly planted for “privacy”…. but when you “own” the field behind the fence is usually a little less bothered and happy to keep it open.

I planted a hedge finally myself this year. As I realise the timber fence will fall down at some point in the next 5 years and I don’t want to have to replace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Brought a Duro on holidays but felt wrong so treated myself to a Santos XL. Always liked them and my tastes are really towards Sports watches and this is sort of a fancy sports watch. Come with tool-less strap change and link removal, very clever, like the gen 3 overseas, so handy. Come with a leather strap as well. Well Made and finished, classic design, inhouse movement and solid if unremarkable second hand value. I also had the best AD experiance of my life. So nice, lady searched for the watches I wanted to try on in the local area, had them shipped to the store same day. Returned the next day and tried them on. Purchased and the lady even made free Cartier bands for my children (they do these trinity band things my wife likes) while I waited. Got wine and didn't get patronized. The 4 or 5 Rolex AD's I went into were condescending pricks one and all and had nothing to sell.

Also landed in a few swatch boutiques...on about my 4th one and went in and looked around. Daughter saw a pink moonswatch and said she would like one of those and the man turned to me and said he had one left. Got it. The pink one is on a girls sized strap so I cannot even try in on (strap is terrible BTW). Its a cheap plastic watch, with a good look from 10 meters but its not a great piece really. Not worth 250 euro to be honest. I saw a few on people they seem to be trendy. I will get a rubber strap for it and my daughter can wear it of the wife for tennis. Really underwhelming, and more the excitement of getting one than anything else. All cloak and daggers in the swatch store, given in sterile bag, asked not to open it in the area cause people will flood to them thinking there is stock. Get the impression Swatch stores are sick of these watches.

General Holiday consensus on watches was everyone was wearing a watch. 80% smart watches. 19% Fashion watches and 1% luxury watches and 90% of the luxury watches were Rolex. Breguet stores are everywhere in France and they are seriously nice watches. There was a 150k Turb in the airport store.

Went to Monaco car spotting, it did not disappoint however it was 40 degrees that day and I nearly passed out with the heat and the Monaco hills

I am also on a few days away visit family in London. I wouldn’t call it a “holiday” as visiting family is hard work! Doing my duty with my father as there may not be too many visits due to his age (age and their ages).

Watch-of choice below. Stealth. Only two types of people notice your watch. Genuine collectors who know what’s that and thieves. No one else gives a shite. And I don’t want to attract the attention of either of the above groups.

No idea what that Dornblüth is worth, but if I were going to London I wouldn't wear a watch worth more than a few hundred quid

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

I don’t have a picture to post.. but I need to buy something.. am getting the DTs

I agree with the perfect collection, I remember trying to complete it, then as was said, I kept going back to a couple so it was pointless in the end.

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Have similar set up with hedging at front and planted beech at the sides this year, so just a case of sit back a few years before any work is needed on that.Nice being able to keep the back with just the concrete posts, not only for a better view but also handy for the inevitable need to hop into the field from time to time!

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

King Samurai

these also look amazing on a green nato. it was the one saumrai i didnt particulary like the look of until i bought one, and while i was waiting for the bracelet to arrive, was rocking it on a green nato, and quite liked it

and for completeness, back to my normal gsar. this has been in use for about 10 years, and has some chunks gone out of the bezel. its off to marathon for a service in the next few weeks so that will get restored to its original glory

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Those Marathons are a great watch IMHO. Designed to take dog's abuse and keep on going. Military issued too from a company with deep links with the US and Canadian militaries. Best lume out there with it. Actually does a service with Marathon include replacing the tritium tubes, or is that an option they offer? Tritium with its half life of around 12 years the glow must be getting dimmer by now? I can understand the more throwaway aspect with their cheaper issued Navigator examples, but always wondered about that with their more expensive offerings.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,626 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Never got over my Aqua Terra 'Skyfall' originally purchased from a fellow boardsie and moved on to a boardsie too.

The most beautiful watch I ever owned, but I simply couldn't get over its chunkyness (height) and weight. As much as I loved it I wouldn't wear it. I just can't tolerate a 'thick' watch for some reason.

Now I found this one, its predecessor with the earlier 2500 movement.

Its not quite as glitzy, no silver frame around the date window and no 'deck pattern' on the sunburst dial, but its very close. And feels much lighter and with 11mm it wears completely different to the Skyfall which was almost 14mm IIRC.

Got it off chrono where it was listed way overpriced IMO but I put in a lowball offer (-20%) and to some surprise it was accepted. (Darn, should have offered less 😀)

Its in perfect condition and while no papers its got 2 extra links and I won't be moving this one on any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,735 ✭✭✭micks_address

yeah i miss my skyfall to (i had two... yours and one i bought in the US)... i sold to many watches over the last few years just cause i needed cash for various things... probably the skyfall and seiko sla043 are my biggest regrets.. i sold a stowa fleiger half price to a boardsie as well that i wish id kept..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

that watch has taken some significant abuse over the years for sure. not a scratch on the crystal, and the case is in great nick too. the bezel has a few scrapes and a missing marker but apart from that its also held up really well.

i am going to get it re-tubed as well while its in. the reason they are such a chunky watch vertically is because of the layers of tubes and the clearances needed (so tubes on the dial, then on each of the hands, and they all need vertical spacing to pass each other) but it wears well on the wrist.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

This chunky unit arrived today. Obviously I knew the size when I ordered it, but it still wears a teeny bit bigger than I expected.

Post edited by Eoin on

• Registered Users Posts: 20,106 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The tubes don't help, but I'd say the thickness is as much to do with the overall case design TMG. The plastic cased Navigators with the same hands aren't nearly so thick, neither were the Stocker and Yale issued watches with the same handsets.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I think the sky fall is 12.5mm or so. Agree it felt a little thick, as the watch is 39mm. The 41mm version is better balance from i thickness to height ratio…..but the dial is too big then instead.

that one is nice.

and interesting that there is a 20 percent margin off to be requested on C24.

That’s Stowa is still on forum. I moved it to “David” I think.

That Stowa was the best value watch for money I every bought under 500 by a large margin. Stunning.

• Advertisement

Not worn this in a while. Stunning. Glad I never sold it!

Advertisement