Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,735 ✭✭✭micks_address

Had to resize again today.. took out a 60% link and added a full. Feels right now..also threw caution to the wind and took off the back sticker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Looks good even though there isn't the animation of a balance wheel. It really is a lovely watch, especially with that dial.

Here's a snap of my sbgv225, along with it's rate over the last 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭893bet

Would you mind posting that sticker to me? If you are done with it.;-)

As an aside just popped this on, as I'm thinking of taking the bike out.

• Advertisement

I would, but I've given all my money to Usheeen.

I believe if you buy a Rolex at an AD the staff take the stickers off, whilst the buyer sips champagne.

Wonder what the GS AD experience is like, they have a GS9 buyers club in certain markets, which is an interesting marketing strategy to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,626 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Well, turns out asking nicely works. I'm in, yay.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,436 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Nice! Just membership I presume and you will still have to clock up 50 posts before you can see sales corner?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

• Advertisement

Tz is grand but it was much better pre Brexit like everything else.. selling in and out of the UK mainland to here is just messier now.. i find a lot of prospective buyers are put off from buying from Ireland and some for selling unless you can provide say a NI address.. ive bought one or two things and got them posted here and paid customs etc but lower value... anything more expensive i get sent to a friend in NI..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

@CalamariFritti

What email address did you use to contact them, can't see it on the site.

Trying to reset my password and keep getting told the answers I'm giving to random questions are incorrect despite being 100 percent correct

• Registered Users Posts: 65,436 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

And not for nothing are they put off. I've had several bits sent back to the seller because they hadn't put on the exactly right product code for tax reasons. I even had an item from NI held on me with a VAT demand and then sent back to the seller (there is no VAT from stuff coming from NI into Ireland). I didn't get a reply to any of my 20 or so emails until 3 months later. Irish customs service are very competent. 🧐

So yeah, it was a lot better pre Brexit. I don't buy half as much over there now. And that's not even because I don't want to pay VAT on things, it's just the process is a mess

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Still drinking sideways with what I see being called an Aussie Pogue more and more online. At least the pint wasn’t upside down.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,774 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The 1st lot of parts for my GMT build have arrived. I'm waiting on some stems and a GMT hand now and then the build itself can start. Will most likely put this onto a NATO or rubber strap.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Ian OB

Something I'm toying with doing as well. What movement will it be running on, do you mind me asking?

I picked up a Huangzhou 6460 a while back and will be using that. By all accounts they are a fairly solid 2836-2 clone.

I googled it, some old thread from another forum came up. Its Eddie from time factors.

Could be just browser trouble. Clear cache etc and try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

@blue5000 Love that Pogue!

I was offered one by a guy who had restored to complete original condition, for £500 about two years ago. Kind of sorry I didn't now.

Also, I was a bit gutted that I couldn't get the parts together to restore the Sorna knock-off I got as part of a job lot. It used a crap EB, pin pallet movement, but it looked the business. Just like this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Ian OB

I've been looking at NH35/36s and haven't a clue what to go for. Prices varying between €20 - €50 leaves me confused. Am I as well off with the cheapest or what criteria should be best used?

• Advertisement

I'll be honest Ian in that with regards the NH movements (and even the 6460) I haven't a clue as to sources or reliability other than what I gleaned in reading over on WUS.

I had decided I wanted GMT function, sweeping seconds and relative ease of servicing which pushed me towards ETA clones.

I'm still awaiting some parts and tools before I put the watch together. I have made a quick test fit of the dial and case and, I like it! 😉

I'm on the hunt for a Sinn U2 style GMT hand. My thinking is that altho it's a similar shape/size to the Omega style hands that, as it's solid and unlumed that it will give good contrast against the dial and allow the lumed hands to still be easily read.

I really like the Date window on this dial and I'm torn between white datewheel or a black one. The more I handle this? The more I think I'll be putting on a NATO, probably black/grey or perhaps a marine national style strap.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭xyz123

This is my DIY effort. Matching hands and face can be tricky. Movements have nearly doubled in price in 12 months although they seem to dropping a bit now. Total cost probably 60-70 eur for an automatic watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

@Banie01 and @xyz123 fair play, chaps or chapettes (delete as appropriate), they look the business.

My own skills, particularly hand placement, are not really up to the task. Also, I've reduced the herd significantly recently, and am now down to three chronos and two three-handers. That might be two chronos soon.

Therefore, while I appreciate your exploits, *feck off with your lovely projects ;)

*Do not feck off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭traco

As above - they are both cracking looking. I'd love to try similar myself but wouldn't know where to start. Maybe I should start looking for some build threads and educate myself.

I looked at a few videos and then went on to ali express and bought an nh35 movement. Cases, hands etc are labelled with movement type, so you need to make sure they match the movement and that the face fits the case size.

The result looks ok, but its a bit sketchy in places. Will do another now that the price of parts have dropped.

I have given it a try to develop some new skills and as something I can do to unwind (pun intended). I'd like to have the skills to be able to service my low end bits. It's hard to justify spending money on a service that may cost more than the watch no matter how sentimental it may be.

Thanks Traco, I read a few threads on watchuseek, had a look at watchmaking threads on Reddit and took a stab at sourcing the parts via AliExpress, Raffles time and eBay.

I'll try and document my own build effort on a thread here when I actually do get started.

I like the piece you've put together, and the advice on parts and matching them for a build is spot on. Matching dials, cases and movements is a must.

As for a photo? I know I have the Hamtun up for sale, but the dog and I are trying to convince the Mrs that I need 2 titanium watches 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭covey123

Nice project,well done👍

Would like to give it a go myself sometime. What tools did you need for putting it together?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

I have the watchmaking as a hobby book if any budding watchmakers want it

• Advertisement

I bought a basic set of tools from amazon. The biggest problems i had were that the face was for a 4 oclock dial and the case is a 3 oclock. So i had to take the feet off the dial and use tiny strips of double sided tape to fix the dial. And the caseback was immovable so i had to take the bezel off to remove it.

The most important tool was a cheap but strong magnifying glass to set the hands.

It was a good lockdown project and if i can do it then anyone can!

Advertisement