Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Very nice bell, I was on the hunt for two birth year seikos, 68 and 69. In the end I got a '73 bellmatic that came with a great receipt from the last service, the watchmaker advising it was a collectable classic in the late ninties. It's on a steel coffin link, which as luck had it fitted me like a glove
    For my 69 birthyear, I picked up a 69 accutron.
    536721.jpg

My brother was over this morning, so I wore it so he could listen to the hum. It's strap is awful and it's rate isn't great, but I'll sort that after I have the Lip fixed up. Goal next year is to have all watches in the watch box running well, some are currently wounded.

Here's the three vintage seikos, including the 68 for the brothers 50th.

481172.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

New Watch Day - NTH Barracuda Vintage Black

4Tom9znl.jpeg

I enjoyed my polar white NTH so much I went and bought the Vintage Black version. It's hard to take a picture that does it justice, but in the sunlight it is beautiful. Very happy with it.

Also - I can neither confirm or deny that I have another NTH on the way...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

WW1 era solid silver officers Trench watch housed in a 1915 dated silver case, It is The A.S. " Adolf Schild" 15 Jewel savonette movement is working superbly keeping excellent time , it is beautiful, and a very practical timepiece .

A really nice large size example with a period band & lovely patina on the crystal , the crystal has "yellowed" giving the white dial look a great patina or yellow hue.

Bought on fleabay recently, Mrs MadM took a shine to it immediately and wears it daily now.

536779.jpg

https://ibb.co/fNwzSSs
    https://ibb.co/Ssz1m1f

@wibbs...Thanks for embedding pics

• Registered Users Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭micks_address

New baby.. didn't think it would arrive for Christmas. I ordered it from Germany back in November with the fine link bracelet but they were having difficulty sourcing one from the factory. They had promised me up until Wednesday of last week it would be with me in time but then pulled the plug and said late January. So with that order refunded I had pretty much given up. Had a scout about Friday and spotted one on firstclass watches. For some reason they wouldn't ship to Ireland for Sinn but they price matched and I used parcel motel for the order. Of course I had no sooner placed the order but got an email from parcel motel saying they were no longer accepting deliveries from the UK after the 28th. First class said they were using Royal mail next day 1pm service but i was dubious it would make it in time. In fairness to them it was delivered Saturday at 7am in Antrim to parcel motel and it was in the Parcel motel locker by 7pm Saturday evening.

I went with the red second version for something a little different. I have an Erika's original nato on the way - black with red stripe which should match nicely. The classic H bracelet that goes with this looks quite heavy and the clasp awkward so i will leave it for a while. The fine link bracelet does look nice so i might get that next year. One nice thing about Sinn is that they seem to price their bracelets for sale pretty keenly.

PXL-20201221-084128063.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

That 556 RS is a real cracker. The standard version is great but the red seconds hand just makes the whole thing pop that bit more. What size wrist are you? I've thought about getting one myself but worried that the 38.5mm case would be too small.

• Advertisement

46 Long wrote: »
    That 556 RS is a real cracker. The standard version is great but the red seconds hand just makes the whole thing pop that bit more. What size wrist are you? I've thought about getting one myself but worried that the 38.5mm case would be too small.

About 7.3 inches wrist

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

unkel wrote: »
    Get that Milgauss back on your skinny wrist! :pac:

Stupid peer pressure

IMG-20201221-090556.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

hitemfrank wrote: »
    Stupid peer pressure

Hey Snap....always love putting the Millgauss back on

PXL-20201221-091755070.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

I sold my two-tone Datejust, and while waiting for a new Speedy to arrive (I got rid of the previous one, which was a bit previous of me, although it looks good on BirneyBau), I ordered this. Timex have some really interesting watches these days - I am a fan of the Timex 34mm Marlin and have a 1971 version. This is the Milano XL (but only 38mm) and cost me about €100.

8iWRChh.jpg

wr1nbf4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 65,318 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

hitemfrank wrote: »
    Stupid peer pressure

So much better. Pure class! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I sold my two-tone Datejust, and while waiting for a new Speedy to arrive (I got rid of the previous one, which was a bit previous of me, although it looks good on BirneyBau), I ordered this. Timex have some really interesting watches these days - I am a fan of the Timex 34mm Marlin and have a 1971 version. This is the Milano XL (but only 38mm) and cost me about €100.

That's a great classic looking watch for €100

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

That's pretty much what I thought. It should arrive tomorrow so will post pics in the flesh.
    Cienciano wrote: »
    That's a great classic looking watch for €100

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

So much better. Pure class! :cool:

Just you all wait until the full gold bracelet arrives for the Tressa.

I'll show you all aesthetically challenged then*

*no not my face before someone says it

I'm sad to have sold my Rolex before the fancy stingray strap even arrived :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,928 ✭✭✭893bet

A nice bit of Ostrich leather from Camille Fournet on Cyrus recommendation! The tan leather dresses the watch down just enough to make it casual enough for daily wear where as the OEM felt a little too dressy.

3-D410-C23-A523-4-B95-B46-A-42-DC7183-B7-EE.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,021 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

893bet wrote: »
    A nice bit of Ostrich leather from Camille Fournet on Cyrus recommendation! The tan leather dresses the watch down just enough to make it casually enough for daily wear where as the OEM felt a little too dressy.

good man, thats classy :cool:

Maybe it's the angle of the picture but the strap looks too skinny to me compared to the watch which is pretty substantial. One of the classiest watches on the forum though!

The model is the 1815 UP/DOWN in white gold? Reference: 234.026? Stunning watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

oknepop wrote: »
    69 bellmatic today. Gold plated case with a grey linen dial, which can be hard to photograph. Think this would've come on a gold coffin bracelet, but I've never seen a gold one come up - only plain steel.

Great to see more Bells on the forum! :) I believe the 6011 came on either one of two bracelets,

One like this

aw0jt7u.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

The bracelet picture is taken from a eBay listing I had found for someone on the Bellmatics forum [Link]

The other being one made by Stelux known as the 'Chiclet', one currently listed on eBay with only one end link [Link]

img_0848-jpg.435971

s-l1600.jpg

Maybe it's the angle of the picture but the strap looks too skinny to me compared to the watch which is pretty substantial. One of the classiest watches on the forum though!

The model is the 1815 UP/DOWN in white gold? Reference: 234.026? Stunning watch.

Correct on all counts. I bought a 19mmp strap as the lug to lug is 19mm but it’s a little small I thought! I was then blaming the “hand made nature” of it not being bang on the 19mm for a tight fit.........

Then I realised it’s actually a 20mm lug.....oooops! My bad. **** happens and can’t be bothered returning. Having a little space makes swapping much easier (convince myself). I ain’t too OCD about that kind of thing.

I said skinny, not narrow. Didn't even spot that the strap didn't fill the full lug width, I'm the opposite of OCD :D

Anyway, men of style and substance wear straps that are well narrow on purpose. Like our friend commander Bond. Is that even an 18mm strap on a 20mm lug width sub 6538 Or just 16mm? :eek:

bond-goldfinger-strap-small3_1604496413206_1604496531116.jpg

• Advertisement

id say its more that 2mm on that nato...

I said skinny, not narrow. Didn't even spot that the strap didn't fill the full lug width, I'm the opposite of OCD :D
    .jpg[/IMG]

Ah. Got mixed up in my adjectives! No it’s not too skinny. Watch is the opposite of hefty! Only 9mm thick so needs a slender strap!

And dear got that NATO should be burned.

Blasphemy! :p

I do agree though that an undersized NATO looks pretty rotten. If anything I'd oversize by maybe a mm (or more, but then you'd have to cut the strap) with a heavy watch, for better balance and wearing comfort. If I were to get a big heavy yoke like a deepsea, I'd give that a go, particularly if it was the earlier 21mm lug width model, maybe not so much the current 22mm model

Edit - just checked and my own Bond zulu (single pass) is 22mm, would be a good match to 21mm deepsea. I'll go ring the guy selling one right now...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Anyway, men of style and substance wear straps that are well narrow on purpose. Like our friend commander Bond. Is that even an 18mm strap on a 20mm lug width sub 6538 Or just 16mm? :eek:
    snip

Now that is just plain weird:

Tudor-strap.jpg

That is one of my late father's watches and would be 50's vintage (I think). He just happened to be a Lieutenant Commander in the Royal Navy, whereas Bond was a Commander - however he didn't fly Spitfires or was an acting Squadron Leader, so :P Mr Bond. There is also a strong Scottish ancestry thing going on, a significant appreciation of wines and something else, I won't go into.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

id say its more that 2mm on that nato...
    Only it wasn't a NATO. The watch belonged to either the director or producer and he gave it to Connery for the shoot, but Connery had he man sized wrists so the original bracelet didn't fit, so they sent a production runner to a local jeweller's shop and they grabbed a cheap and cheerful 1960's nylon strap(very similar to cnocbui's design) and the rest is history. Well the rest is interwebs watch nerds spreading the idea it was a NATO(sorry, G-10) strap, even claiming it contained regimental colours. Until the higher res DVD prints came out and they found more colours and more theories ran away with themselves. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,270 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

That's pretty much what I thought. It should arrive tomorrow so will post pics in the flesh.

How much do you want for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

New baby.. didn't think it would arrive for Christmas. I ordered it from Germany back in November with the fine link bracelet but they were having difficulty sourcing one from the factory. They had promised me up until Wednesday of last week it would be with me in time but then pulled the plug and said late January. So with that order refunded I had pretty much given up. Had a scout about Friday and spotted one on firstclass watches. For some reason they wouldn't ship to Ireland for Sinn but they price matched and I used parcel motel for the order. Of course I had no sooner placed the order but got an email from parcel motel saying they were no longer accepting deliveries from the UK after the 28th. First class said they were using Royal mail next day 1pm service but i was dubious it would make it in time. In fairness to them it was delivered Saturday at 7am in Antrim to parcel motel and it was in the Parcel motel locker by 7pm Saturday evening.

I went with the red second version for something a little different. I have an Erika's original nato on the way - black with red stripe which should match nicely. The classic H bracelet that goes with this looks quite heavy and the clasp awkward so i will leave it for a while. The fine link bracelet does look nice so i might get that next year. One nice thing about Sinn is that they seem to price their bracelets for sale pretty keenly.
    SNIP

She's a beauty. I had a Sinn 657s years ago which I bought and sold here. The 556i or 556a is prob my next watch post covid salary reduction.
    Well wear Sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Last edited by Wibbs; Today at 15:58.

Seriously, without the quoted pic, the post makes no sense whatsoever as it was the simmilarity in the straps that was the main point, so you might as well delete the post entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

Been trying to justify this for a year, decided to go for it before Brexit potentially made it too expensive :D

20201221-135458.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Cassius99

wLtFSfJ.jpg

The Citizen Promaster BN0118 showed up last week, and I have to admit I'm delighted with it. My first Citizen in about 10 years, and my first Titanium watch.

It's not an automatic or a mechanical, but theres something about its simplicity and style that I love. I thought the proportions on the dial were off when I first saw this watch, and I had absolutely no interest. But the more I looked, the more it grew on me. Funny thing is, I see a lot of people have said the same on other forums. The Kevlar strap looks great, glad I went for it over the bracelet.

Advertisement