Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭scwazrh

• Registered Users Posts: 20,107 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

41mm it’s the current version of the pilot chrono .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

In my humble Tudor have the coolest crowns out there.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Unfortunately they dont have the coolest crown on the dial....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭893bet

Missed this when it was posted. That’s a very attractive design and colour combo.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

We don't do enough Luke shots here.

L-R - Explorer 124270, Seiko SKX009, Submariner 16610, Speedmaster.

Nice - Great idea , could be a thread on its own.

Skx is great lume ,duration is short but sweet .

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭covey123

Taking it easy after finally finishing putting down a new floor... Herringbone,dont ever do it to yourself unless you want to test your patience to its absolute limit!

Dug out the almost forgotten bond nato,first time on this watch, liking how it looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭covey123

I'll join in on the Lume shot.

Seiko SRPE67K1 on the left,Scurfa Diver One in right .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Ian OB

New toy time. An SBW Special from the 60s or 70s. Sporting a non functional (for now) EB8810 1 jewel movement & a reasonable amount of lume for its age.

Hopefully it won't take much to get it back going again

Chunky Breitling for me today.

I really like Breitling, hopefully they will come back on track in the future.

I suppose it had to happen... 😁 In my defence, I always wanted a Mickey Mouse watch and it was free. Well it needed a battery.

The strap colour is best described as cider scutter brown, especially under fluorescent lights. In daylight it's just brown. It will be deleted. The oul magnet thing works very well as a strap though.

So it needed a battery and well that operation shows just how throwaway these are compared to proper watches, even proper quartz watches. They're designed to be taken apart and repaired(unless it's a Swatch). This is as tight as a Cavanman's wallet. Designed to be irrepairable. But I got it apart and back together. Cursing throughout.

It's a solid feeling yoke in the hand, has a bit of "Quality Feel(tm)" weight to it. Given the price of a Moonswatch is about the same as an entry level Apple watch it's twenty times the device. The strap/bracelet attachment is a clever and simple design, the crown has a nice feel to it and navigating it is fool proof. Same for setup. I didn't set up the heart monitor as I'd likely go full hypochondriac, the thing would beep to tell me there's a text and I'd then have a heart attack from the shock, while it told me I was having a heart attack and rinse and repeat until my pants were the colour of the strap.

The new battery lasts about 48 hours depending on use. It'll remain a novelty tbh. The flick wrist to see the time "works" half the time, having to charge it every day or so a pain and as an addition to a phone? Well I have a phone in my pocket and a proper watch on my wrist so.. If you were into your fitness and that I could see the appeal. Even has a "mindfulness" app. Which I immediately screamed at. I'm way too Type A for that nonsense. 😂 I can see the appeal for techie folks, especially those who wouldn't otherwise wear a watch. I tried double wristing, but just looked at my proper watch anyway.

Oh it's a version 4 with GPS and sim and lord knows what else.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Well, I'm shocked.

I had one for a while, actually got me back into wearing a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

It's a bit like finding out that your grannies into dogging.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Well that’s the world of watches doomed now, but I have one and use it for out on the bike.

Tbh.. the heart stuff helped me one day as it said my heart rate was too high, was 138 while resting. I had a chest infection at the time and was on steroids, seems the steroid was causing me problems , doc took me off and gave me a beaterblocker for couple of days and all sorted.

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

I’d sooner join her than wear an Apple Watch

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I've said this before. But it was the Apple Watch that got me into mechanical watches. As a lover of all things tech and gadgety and who's given Apple far too much money, you'd assume that I was natural fit for the watch. But I hated it. I didn't see the utility and just saw it as another inevitable bit of e-waste. I yearned for something that would last a lifetime and that could be repaired. And so I starting buying real watches... And because I'm also an idiot, I bought a S0 Apple Watch (second hand) several months later.

Funnily enough, it was primarily for the Mickey face. It was a miserable piece of ****. Underpowered and chronically slow to respond, missing most of my arm raises with dismal battery life that quickly consigned it to the drawer. But I did love that watch face and four years later bought the S4. The rounded larger screen really helped bring together a design I still thing is just okay. Inoffensive at best. And I never had any performance issues. It just took over almost completely. I kinda resented how much use I got out of it and how little time my other watches got. And last week I replaced it was the Ultra.

Unlike the standard model, I hated the look of the Ultra when it was announced. Thought it was an appalling looking yoke. Still do, when see any press images. And then I saw one in the metal, on a green alpine loop. Wow. There is a massive step up in terms of the quality of construction. It has some character. The battery actually lasts more than a day. I actually love it. Only thing is, I found myself in Keane's looking at their displays and found myself thinking "what is the point".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Wore my G-Shock MT-G today, haven’t wore it for a while. Really comfortable watch to wear. It’s 16 years old and still running on the original battery!

Picked up my first Cartier yesterday .I had tried on the tank earlier in the year but it felt too small and delicate .Then tried on the blue dial santos last month which was nice but for me the iconic Cartier is the white dial with black Roman numerals .

• Advertisement

Well I can say your granny tired of the ballgag and dark car parks has gone back to a peck on the cheek for your granda. 😁 Normal service resumes. Well, when I say normal...

1940 Alpina KM as issued to the German Kreigsmarine.

The novelty of the Apple watch wore off very quickly. It's a great gadget and good for what it is and is very nicely bolted together, especially for the price point, but beyond that and for me, no. Though even in its brief time on my wrist it did get noticed and asked about. That very rarely happens with my proper watches.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

Lol, just digging through old posts & found this. And it explains a lot. I came onto this forum as a newbie a few months ago & got slated by some of you for 1) genuinely enquiring about Rolex lead times and 2) not wanting to say too much about my AD history. When I put my name down for a couple of Rolex models earlier this year I bounced out of the AD with enthusiasm, yes there would be a wait but I might get one at some point. This forum killed that buzz completely. And now I see the mentality from one individual at least was really, ‘I can’t one, so you’ll never get one’. I did get one, after 3 months, and I will be getting one again in the not too distant future. I’m annoyed at myself for buying into the negativity, I genuinely started to think you were right. Prehaps have a think before jumping on someone else in future like you did me.

End of rant. I’ll see myself out again. Happy watch hunting to all.

Ooooh the drama. All the best.

actually what happened was people couldn’t answer your question on “how long”…..as the your chances of getting what you want are hugely influenced by spend history. But you were all secretive for reasons you wouldn’t share.

Also don’t forget the market has changed hugely in the last few months. Lists are still long but there are lots of people passing on watches. So names are moving up.

Unkel has spent **** all with the AD (unless it’s jewellery) and knows he is just riding on Hope/luck which does occasionally come good.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,107 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

in fairness the answers you got were based on incomplete information (that’s your own business ) and in good faith, your experience isn’t usual. And no one jumped on you you just didn’t like what you heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,437 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I bought a Tissot in Weir's in 1996 for £277. And a few years later I paid them about £35 for a battery replacement and re-seal. That's it, I don't think I ever bought anything else there. Does that count as spending history? 😂

it counts. And puts you nuts ahead of me in Weirs so (if I was on a list that is 😀)..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

The battery made a huge difference 🤪

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

There was a leather strap Patek 5712 for sale in Weirs window yesterday, not on exhibition, for sale...was reserved when I went back at lunchtime but there it was....I would not read too much into getting watches at the moment, the heat is totally out of the market and trying to sell anything above retail to a grey dealer or private is almost impossible (trust me I know, am trying to sell two Rolex and an AP for a friend at the moment and aint nobody interested unless its at fire-sale prices).

I am happy you got your watches but nobody here was pissing on your chips only telling you the truth as you presented it at the time you presented it. If somebody came in now as asked would they get a sub in 3-6 months if they bought 40k jewelry for the wife or engagement rings or whatever you bought we would likely say the chances are strong enough. Lots of chaps buy an Omega and think they are getting a Daytona next week, thats not going to happen still. Enjoy the watches, being allowed spend 10k of your hard earned on a watch has not proven anyone wrong and enjoy having it, not that you were the chosen one, for all you know you were the tenth call they made to offload that watch that morning.

Its a good thing the market was a load of bollox before and a return to some semblance of normality is a good thing. Watches are cool, AD games an the opposite of cool.

Class, they are lovely are they not. Quality is really good on them too and properly priced. Find it a bit more dressy than a Rolex. You made a good choice there but I am biased.

• Advertisement

Feels more luxurious than the sub but that might be the honeymoon stage talking.It’s definitely a dressier sports watch

Any idea where you can buy straps for it? I didn’t ask in weirs as I assumed they would be an easy pick up online but cant find any genuine ones only Etsy and eBay specials

Advertisement