Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭893bet

It’s almost like a 6k+ omega is a tough to impossible sell and there is no point giving it space in a small shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,736 ✭✭✭micks_address

Picked up this today.. at least i won't be servicing this one. Didn't even try it with the strap it came on. Threw on a Erika's NATO that I had on my previous pros.. have to say for the look it's not bad.. just feels very light on my wrist. At least the hands line up..I've seen a few where they don't.. no sub for a moonwatch but will keep me going till my next one

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Allwheelsgood

What rolex is your fancy ?

Interesting previous comments on the rotating bezel and its usefulness.

I personally find it invaluable as an instant timer. Be it waiting for a fast food collection to be ready or how long till I turn the tofu or steak..... even better when you look down and its a Submariner mixed metals your timing it with.

Also find the date display handy especially when travelling.

Seasons greetings folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭893bet

116519LN White gold Daytona on oyster or a white gold day date (no idea of red number). Both are 40k watches so zero chance of me committing to that.

The biggest reason of me not commuting being that if you have 40k to spend (or 10 or 20k) if you spend it on a Rolex (money is reasonable safe) but the value for money is nil. Spending the same money on another watch will get you far more “value for money”, “bang for buck” “ding for your dollar” etc etc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Funny enough... Rolex first(well second) rotating bezel was a couple of years before their first Sub. I give you the Turn-O-Graph!!

Their economic and quick way of getting with the emerging chronograph trend, minus mass producing actual chronos. Neither a strong suit for Rolex, nor an easy sell until the 90's. Slap a bezel on an Explorer and away you go. Note its usefulness when cooking that you still use it for. Now given back then no Real Man(tm) was baking a damned thing 😁 that's an interesting addition in their bumpf. I've never seen a "ladies" example so maybe his model was sold as "unisex"?

Rolex adverts of this period are full of marketing BS and this one is no different(they also used to speak of value a lot). They were always keen to claim firsts, but as they'd been publicly caught out previously, only ever directly with their few actual firsts, QV the rotor automatic design, the aforementioned cyclops and adding a day wheel/window. They indirectly claim this new invention, but as usual nope and decades too late. Rotating bezels for timing had been around since the late 20's for pilots watches and the external bezel we all know today on divers was in the early 30's invented by Longines, again for pilots.

What's interesting is that this wasn't jumped on by anyone as a device for timing divers. With the above advert Rolex had all the ducks in a row; "waterproof" case, luminous dial and external bezel. All they had to do was print "Submariner" on the above dial et voila! The very first Sub looks near identical, including the lume pip at the end of the seconds hand.

But they never made the leap. That took a couple of French navy divers, Blancpain and LIP to bring out the Fifty Fathoms a couple of years later. When that came along others rushed to bring out their own, Rolex just needed to add an extra bit of wording for the dial and the Submariner was born, or the Turn-O-Graph was rebranded. They must have been kicking themselves at the time, but as subsequent history turned out theirs is the one people think of as the Diving Watch. Looking at that ad they might have also called it the Yachtmaster as well.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Maybe in the minority here .. but no interest in Rolex.. can’t see the attraction.. crazy money for a what I see is a standard watch.

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Most of the negative about Rolex is to do with hype ,price , used car sales man perception etc.As a stand alone one and done watch that you can simply wear day in day out no matter what you are doing be it dirty work or wear it with a suit , the sub is the best there is .

When you start taking into account , value , price, attention etc , yeah I’d agree the faults start to show but I find something very appealing about putting a Rolex on my wrist above any other brands I’ve had .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Any time my nomal non watchnerd mates have asked me as their pet watchnerd "what's a Good Watch" I would always say; Rolex Sub/Explorer, Omega Speedmaster*, mid -higher end Seiko Diver and Cartier Tank(or JLC Reverso) and civilians should avoid vintage like the plague. IMHO you really can't go wrong with that lot. Over the last few years with the daft hype, AD "lists" and stupid grey dealer prices I would be less keen on Rolex, but if they could get one at retail as a Watch For Life(tm) play ball. They're a very well made if overpriced watch that works with casual or suited and booted(or has become accepted in the latter) and have brand recognition above all others, will last several lifetimes and have good resale value when you sell.

*I've long noticed watchnerds tend to flip Speedmasters pretty quickly, but non watchnerds don't. No idea why.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,637 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Have to say, if I owned a 12k watch, I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable wearing it doing dirty jobs, or anything which could potentially put a mark on it.

I think half the problem I find is pretentiousness that sometimes surrounds them. Maybe that’s due to some forums I purvey ( not these boards) but the condescending tone of some makes me not want to associate myself with them and thus the watch. All saying , if I was given a polar explorer.. I would not say no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭scwazrh

There’s definitely an air of pretentiousness about Rolex .It something I seem to notice a lot when on sun holidays .The loud brash mouthpiece that you hear before you see , usually have a Rolex be it real or fake on their wrist.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

I think the Milgauss would be Rolex that appeals most to me, and a lot of the appeal is that it is not very recognisable (unless you are into watches). I think most people wouldn't even realise that it is a Rolex. Wearing a sub seems like it would attract unwelcome attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Rolex are a brand that I'd long fingered and put off buying into precisely because of the hype around them. There are some really nice watches in their range and if I could buy a black explorer 2 at retail? I'd jump on it tbh.

I posted a few years back vacillating about buying one at 7k, more fool me for not buying it then.

The issue I have with Rolex is the "relationship" nature of buying one at retail or the premium on grey.

We'd all like to be able to pay the money and get the watch. Rolex have been masterful in managing their supply and driving demand. Their move in quality assured 2nd hand Rolex is only going to be a good thing for them.

I do think that there I will add one to the watchbox, just a matter of what to let go to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Completely agree.

Despite the fact that I love the iconic design of the Sub and the Cosmograph, the brand holds no cache for me whatsoever.

I'd happily have a Steinhart, or other faithful homage with no desire whatsoever for the 'real' thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,851 ✭✭✭griffin100

I'm about to turn 50, 10 years ago for my 40th I considered a Sub from watchfinder for €5-6k. I though at the time that’s way too much money to have tied up in a watch - that was obviously a mistake.

Even now though I’d struggle to justify spending more than about €3k on a watch (but I’ll happily spend twice that on a bicycle).

Rather than spend €3k on a used Omega, I’d rather spend the money on a Nomos, a Samurai, and maybe something like a Steinhart.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭banie01

My own tastes run more towards Sinn than Rolex and as for Omega, I have a Seamaster GMT that is a lovely watch and IMO a better watch than an Explorer 2 at a ⅓ of the price.

I will likely trade a few watches into a Rolex at some point, if for nothing else other than ticking that box on the journey.

On the other hand, I could yet end up spinning all my non-sinn watches into more Sinns 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 65,438 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@banie01 - "if I could buy a black explorer 2 at retail? I'd jump on it tbh."

Probably the steel sport Rolex that's closer to retail than any other? Just checked, retail now is €9550 (this is quite likely to go up to around the €10k mark next month). I presume you want the 42mm size one and not the older 40mm which wears small (same as any of the GMT master II)? Cheapest on C24 in the EU is ..... €9499 (no box no papers). That's C24 asking price, you're likely to be able to get it a bit cheaper if you approach the dealer via their own website instead of C24. Personally I wouldn't care too much about the lack of papers, but it will impact resale value. But anyway, you can get one BELOW retail!

Go for it man, if anyone on this forum deserves to get a nice present from himself, it is you 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 20,107 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I think once you wear a sub for a while you start to get it, schwarz explained it well but the modern versions are pretty much perfect, nice size, great bracelet, relatively slim, great value retention and unmatched brand recognition.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭OldRio

15 years ago I purchased the watch below for my Wife's 50th birthday. (From Mercers in Enniskillen)

She wears it most days, even around the farm. Mucking out, horse riding, moving stock etc etc.

On a completely unrelated note, my wife bought me my Datejust from the same jeweller on my 50th. I have no idea where the idea came from.

I've forgot how much it cost. I must dig out the box and paperwork. 2.5k Stirling rings a bell but I'm unsure.

Possibly, like I said, would not turn down a polar explorer.

but the whole concept of it being the best one watch is a bit , to me, a bit of a misnomer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

But you've noticed them. Seems to be a major factor in rolex is random people noticing your watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I don't have any problems with Rolex as such myself.

A lot of their watches wouldn't be for me. Some of them look just 'too much' or even a bit blingy or ponzy IMO but thats just personal taste. Gold tones are completely out for me and so are roman numerals and excessive complications like dayoftheweek. Also I need <= 40mm. Never even liked the datejust. But they have decent stuff too. Submariner is nice or GMT Master or Explorer 1.

If money was no object I could see myself having a GMT or a Submariner. But I'm not in a position where that kind of money doesn't matter. And current prices are off the charts in any case.

Strangely enough the brand recognition factor that many say is a plus in their book would be a minus for me. I just wouldn't be the kind of guy who wears a watch that others recognise as an expensive watch immediately. To me it would feel like unwanted attention even a bit showy. I prefer understated. But I wouldn't mind having one for a short while just to see what all the fuzz is about see the quality of it for myself.

But it suits some people they can pull that look off and fair play and well wear. You only live once and you should enjoy it.

Agree.. if it floats your boat, then absolutely go for it, no pockets in shrouds as my mam says.

I am looking at a big pilot or omega Speedmaster Mark II like the one posted above (Grey with orange)

DT

• Registered Users Posts: 65,438 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@CalamariFritti - "If money was no object I could see myself having a GMT or a Submariner. But I'm not in a position where that kind of money doesn't matter."

It's not like you're wasting money on an expensive holiday or nights out or on booze, drugs, fags and hookers or something. The money isn't gone if you buy a Submariner. It could of course go down in value, but likely only a bit and more likely it will go up in value over time. It's much more like an investment. That you can wear for free 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Ah yeah, sure we're all different. I usually hate unnecessary complications like a gmt. But I actually like a full day display like on a day date.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Ah yeah, sure we're all different. I usually hate unnecessary complications like a gmt. But I actually like a full day display like on a day date.

Touché. As unnecessary complications go GMT probably tops day of the week by a bit. I was more thinking of that model where it says the full name at the top.

For some reason on some watches I just like the extra business on the dial - usually with a tiny splash of colour - from the GMT hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Well after 48 hours of ownership I tend to agree. Four years ago when I looked at a sub I would have said no, not for me. Got a call from local dealer Wednesday night, come in we have a no date sub. Went in Thursday night and they brought out the date version first but had to say no and push for the no date, ten mins later they brought it out and I was sold. Love it, have enough watches with date complications so I think I’ll survive!

Happy Christmas all

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Ian OB

Birth month & year Seiko under the tree. No box or papers but strap etc original. Deadly!!

And a case of the best beer in the world as well!!

Merry Christmas to you all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Talking of no date Subs, Happy Christmas from Los Angeles where I’ve ditched the turkey and ham for the Rams v Broncos and a heap of beer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I must be the only farmer on here without a Rolex so! Well wear Conor. Just too much money for me, there is always something else with a bigger priority. But if the old Pogue keeps appreciating in value a Milgauss would be the only one that might tempt me.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Advertisement