Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Ian OB

Tá sé ag teacht!! Quite possibly the most I've spent on anything that is purely for myself & nobody elses enjoyment or needs being a factor. I might need to be revived with brandy 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Titanium Turtle case, dd blue ar saph, oem seiko dial and hands, seiko nh36, regulated, ceramic insert, horween strap. Light as a feather and is the evening counterpart (?) to my blue save the ocean prospex:)

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Still wearing my £3.70 Omega 😁

Nice sunny evening here in Henley

Over the weekend, finally got around to getting frames for these posters I picked up in a tool shop in Biel, Switzerland back in January

Ebauches SA was made up of a group of various different watch movements that eventually merged with ETA. There were 6 different posters from the early 60s that were used in watchmaking schools, including the Irish Swiss Institute of Horology

Here's the set in the top background of graduation class 1987

And a set that sold on eBay

The guy in the shop had a small museum of various watchmaking teaching tools etc acquired over the years that he is planning on donating to a museum that is being set up

The 3 I bought were extras as he already had the full set downstairs, there was so much more I would of bought if I could but great to see that they will hopefully go on display in a museum.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

I'm not sure where this post should go but putting it here anyway.

Some of you might be interested in this 4-parter BBC radio series (it's on BBC Sounds) - Hands of Time by Rebecca Struthers: she's a watch maker and horology academic:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001lqt0

Post edited by fulladapipes on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭traco

Thought I'd spruce up the sort of smart watch for summer. It was really starting to annoy me and thought about binning it several times. Thing is I really like the alarms on it as the vibrate in the morning disturbs nobody else. Also handy for walks and taking the odd call if the phone is left somewhere safe when working.

So a new old orange silicone strap which seems like decent quality and is more comfortable than the OEM and 50c on a watch face. So for sub €15 it feels like a new watch again. Guess it wil live for a few more months. Half tempted to replace it with a G-Shock but don't know if I would get tired of it as well.

So here it is in all its orangeness!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,781 ✭✭✭✭banie01

@H_Lime As requested in the chat thread, 1 Blancpain and some quite delicious charred asparagus 😉

The steak in the frame is hands down one of the finest prepared and tasting cuts of beef I have enjoyed in years! A Croom cow too, kept it local!

Inspired choice of main sir, let the vegans eat prime steak!

Must check this place out as I'm a devout carnivore.

The watch is really pretty awesome I have to say. My only mech chrono is my budget friendly seagull 63 which I'll wear today but that's just on a whole other level.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Pael

The latest addition to the daily beater rotation, a 39mm Hydro Conquest auto. I didnt like the detailing on the ceramic bezel variant so went for this slightly cheaper steel variant. I picked it up at discount to about 70% of RRP… then spent nearly that same 30% saving a few days later to replace the metal bracelet with the infinitely superior OEM rubber strap. As ive always found to be the case with mid-tier swatch family brands, the build quality is excellent for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,441 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That's class, the Longines punch far above their weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭scwazrh

• Advertisement

I have to agree with you when it comes to their metal bracelets. Ive never had a seiko to compare but the metal bracelet on the hydro was poor in terms of finish and the locking mechanism while secure, was a bit rustic.

I also have a longines chrono/moon phase - high end in the longines range - and while the bracelet for that one is fine, it is unremarkable for the price point.

The watches themselves i find though are excellent quality for the price but best if you can source a variant with a OEM non metal bracelet. Both the leather and rubber options i bought after the fact are excellent.

Have my eye on one last longines, the new spirit flyback in Blue if i can get a decent discount on it and then im taking a break for a while.

https://ie.firstclasswatches.com/longines-spirit-flyback-auto-chronometer-42mm-blue-fabric-strap-l38214932-p-114039/

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭jefferson73

Titanium on a Saturday.

Lovely Shogun! Would like one. Does it get much wear and how has the diashield held up?

Thank you, i've had it a number of years and its held up very well, cosmetically still same as new. Extremly light watch, do not wear it very often these days but it did get a lot of use when i first got it. Personally not a fan of the "X" on the new seiko divers so still fond of the older dials.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,441 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That's a lovely looking watch but at over €5k Swatch is taking the complete p1ss. Wait a year and pick one up for a third of the price.

The Prospex X tends to divide folk alright. Nice legible uncluttered dial on yours and I do like the scuba. It's the perfect case for ti being bigger as well.

I've been mulling purchasing the monococque case Marine Master 300 vs the MM200 reduced so I built a proxima based homage using seiko bits which is pretty much identical.

Whilst I think the mm300 is my ultimate seiko dive watch wearing this has shown its too chunky for anything other than ocassional wear so I bought the 200 spb187 reduced. Should land next wk.

It's a shame seiko seem to be moving from lume filled applied indices in the 1000 euro-ish bracket. Pressed indices and blob lume seems like a cheap out on their part.

Certainly wouldnt pay anywhere near retail for it and am in no hurry to purchase.

Swatch in general taking the piss across its brands. Im living overseas at the moment & i remember considering a hesalite moonwatch when i first srrived here about 4 years ago, it was hovering at 5200chf at the time. I was in a boutique then after Xmas and they were looking for 6500chf. If you want the “privilege” of crystal over hesalite, i think its wqs 7400chf or so - madness.

I love the red on your seconds hand, nice touch.

For me my MM300 is a perfect fit all be it my preference is the rubber strap, its a great everyday watch.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

This used to be my daily driver for a few years way back when and it's crept back into it's old position of late.

Now it's about as water resistant as a fishing net, with no shock protection and with the oh so lovely, but delicate enamel dial of its era, but it's never missed a beat, even though I've gone through three crystals out of clumsiness.

I've noticed the silver cases of Longines of this period for some reason are shinier, more lustrous, less "grey" than my other contemporaneous silver cased watches. The London casemaker and partner/importer of Longines, one Arthur Baume seems to have used a different alloy? I've had two jewellers in the past at first think it white gold. Though silver is like pearls, they both gain a lustre from being worn.

I got the so called "Kitchener" strap back in 2002, by random chance from an older American chap who was making of all things WW1 helmet liners and chinstraps for reenactors and the like on original machinery and patterns he had found. As you do. I bloody love mildly eccentric folks like that. He also had original patterns for watch straps and made them almost as an afterthought, so I bought a half dozen of the things. He made them well.

Yep, Hirsch straps are around that long and are today the biggest watch strap maker on earth.

I got it before the interwebs and I was very lucky as it's all original which of course I didn't know before said web and few enough are these days after over a century. No Trigger's broom(Theseus' ship for the pseuds 😁) here. Save for a new mainspring in 09 and the radium being swapped out in favour of Seiko lume(with a watercolour wash imitating the original radium hue when new). Being Seiko schmoo laid on in a few layers it glows all night like the main reactor of Chernobyl after the whoopsie, minus the mutation threat.

TL;DR? It has been and remains my one of three watches that if my house is on fire I grab first. 😁

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭redzerredzer

What watch is that? Are you still sick if it? For sale?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

Oh dear, would you look at that! Maybe it's a sign. I didn't know you had one, this has to be the universe nudging me.

It's kinda out of reach budget wise but I could maybe spring for one round Xmas. I've wanted one for years.

How has ownership treated you, how long do you have it and do you own a timegrapher? I'd love to see that mems built 8L35 on one. Have you had it serviced? I put my best performing nh35 in "my one" but it wouldn't hold a candle to that.

Yea I put a willard seconds hand on iirc for a dash of red. I believe this case approximates the oem one with the split stem and collet design, it was a nightmare to build tbh. Incidentally I have that exact dial and handset same as yours with the ring round the date window in a drawer for a mate who wants one too.

Well wear sir, you have taste!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

That its probably my favourite watch of any posted on here that's not my Milguass.

I'd highly recommend the MM300, it will be rewarding watch if you save from now to xmas you'll not be disappointed.

However, i'm not sure its still in production, but could be wrong. I purchased this model SBDX001 new in July 2014 for $1960.

Despite the dimensions on paper its wears very well on my wrist, i'm partial to larger watches, 44 mm in this instance is perfectly fine.

Intestingly enough its usually my watch of choice when travelling its very comfortable day to day and has a respectible 50 hr reserve.

When i compare it to some of my other watches (Say a Rolex 136660 i purchased at Christmas) it is in my opinion superb value for money in term of build, movement and applicability.

My advice would be go for it and thank you for your kind words.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I've long maintained if you want a very well bolted together solid watch that'll last a lifetime and beyond without a second thought, a higher end Seiko diver or a Rolex Sub are the two boyos at the top of that heap.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I have first refusal on one (same as yours Sbdx001) , it's full set and assured it practically as new. I'd really like to see it on my timegrapher before buying though. The 8L35 is a super movement but I wonder would it need regulating after nearly nine yrs. How accurate is yours +- day to day can I ask?

As to your wise decision to buy day one let's just say your seiko has appreciated in value!

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

Not actually on a riviera. Just out the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,781 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Very nice watch, one I've been considering recently enough too. Well wear and enjoy the sunshine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

Nice little independent brand from Norway too.

Advertisement