Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭H_Lime

A new one on me, well wear! They're funky. Must dig deeper on the brand. Does the saph have anti reflective treatment?

I've had good experiences with the st1901. Swan neck regulated ones tend to be higher qc, at least that my belief after owning/regulating some. They also keep tight time.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

This is actually my very first Seiko!

Pretty new to the watch appreciation game/bug/obsession... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Greg81

In 2018, I bought this Seiko Kinetic 5M82-0BA0 watch and also purchased an extended 5-year warranty.

Every year around February, I encountered issues with it. I brought it back to the shop; they sent it away, and after 2 months, it was back again and working for another 10-12 months.

This year, the extended warranty expired, so I tried to fix it myself. I watched a few YouTube tutorials, bought the recommended tools, and here we are.

Changed the battery capacitor.

So far, so good

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

Yep anti reflective coating on the sapphire which is great given the lovely detail on the dial. This one has the Swan neck regulator also. So far so good.

Well done that man! Good on you for figuring out how to do something and making it happen. When society collapses you will know how to use the pig sh1t to power barter town:)

• Advertisement

Enjoy it, Seiko have a ha it of getting under your skin. Do some reading on their other diver's and their history and be prepared to want!

The watermelon one is so cool lol. Good they have the AR and the Swan neck too:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Greg81

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Nice job. Especially for your first foray into it.

The exposed coils on quartz based movements always does my head in. The slightest touch of something like a screwdriver and Game Over, new coil/movement required. The very earliest quartz designs back in the early 70's weren't like this and the coils were hidden and protected. I've no idea whose bright idea it first was to go this way, but he deserves the booby prize.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,323 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Can never get a good picture on the wrist showing the true colour of the dial. Bought from my dealer (@fulladapipes ) a few years ago. Still have it mate 😄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Back on the OG bracelet for now. Less jangly than I remember, though still quite jangly! It's gotten a lot less wear than you'd expect recently compared to the Nomadic Marai but still love it.

The other watch getting a fair bit of wrist time, now on a tropical rubber. Got a jubilee coming for a test, but worried the 20mm/36mm case size will leave gaps. Thinking a grey nubuck/ suede would look good too

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Ian OB

New toys arrived today. With their assistance I can say with confidence that this watch will never run again 😁.

It will be fully stripped as I endeavour to see what all the bits in the box are for.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

I loved the idea of these even if a bit gimmicky. Bought for me by a close friend!

Post edited by Wibbs on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I got one myself last week in Amsterdam. Its not a bad watch despite the lightness of it. All in all I like it and I have had it on the wrist since I got it. I will be travelling to Asia next week and was worried about taking my Seamaster 300 so will take my Moonswatch instead.

I got the Misson to Mercury one myself 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Ian OB

Its amazing how many tiny bits go into a watch. There aren't enough carrots in the world to bring my eyes up to reassembling this. How the likes of @IrishPlayer are able is a wonder.

(This is what was disected https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203543433624 )

20mm lug width means straps I forgot about are back in play.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,782 ✭✭✭✭banie01

This arrived back this morning after being away to have a regulation issue sorted.

Have put it on a NATO that I'm trying in a single pass config to keep it from sitting high on the wrist. I like the result and will be picking up a more congruent strap asap 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭893bet

Lovely day for stroll

• Advertisement

My all black spb meets mm300 idea on wrist today. Seiko should make it!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I go single pass myself every so often B. Really makes a diff with overall height on wrist(now this is how daft we watchnutz can be 😁). EG today, on my travels in deepest Wickalaaw, when the sun was still out:

Swapped out its usual 'Expandro. Made in West Germany' 60's bracelet for a (proper GOAT, Made in Wales, to UK mil specs, accept no substitutes dammit 😁) vintage Phoenix G-10. they age like an old pair of quality jeans. An 18mm on a 20mm lug. I kinda like the look TBH. You see it a lot with original issued watches, before we got precious about it being just so. In the flesh it really matches the grey ghost bezel to a tee. Collar and cuffs as it were.

Had a bit of an oopsie with this very watch a fortnight ago, which involved me and it getting an almighty feckin clatter(I came off worst to be fair) and me having to dive in under the bonnet to sort it. Involved lots of camomile tea and prayer. These Valjoux 23/72 movements have long been described by respected watchmakers as real tractors. Can confirm. Built like Ukrainian tractors. That tow tanks.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Getting frosty:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Was looking at getting an Erika’s strap for my Steinhart 44 Vintage

its either Sahara or Havana..

thoughts?

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Havana for me.

Sahara for me. Well this isn't helping. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

I did ask in TZ aswell and Sahara is the fav over there🤔

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

I'm thinking of maybe getting a new hornback strap for my Blancpain. Nothing crazy, a plain black one. Only thing that has me wavering on going hornback rather than belly? Is, would hornback be ok at 20mm/18mm strap size? Would the larger block of scale, be overpowering on a 38mm watch?

I'm still on the hunt for a deployant class too, but given the price of even just SS Blancpain one? It may well be a generic one.

• Advertisement

I tend to spend a little time every once in a while browsing the "fakers" on Reddit and RWI.

This morning I stumbled across a thread from a guy who has a serious grá for Panerai. He must have dropped at the very least, mid-5 figures on the collection of fakes, fugazi, replica and Franken-fakes displayed here. Along with even more money, effort, time and honestly regarding the cabinetry, no small measure of skill.

I can't fathom going to this level of effort, for fakes. Yes I get that some, this lad included, will say they love the look and whatever else. But? They are fakes, if you like the look? Buy an homage?

I mean I am hugely impressed by the sheer effort, but? I can't square away that effort and obvious pride in what he has gathered together, with the fact that they are all fakes. Beautifully presented, but much like a silk rose and the real thing?

They are very different things. 1 has an ineffable beauty and the other looks nice but is soulless, scentless and a bit meh🤷‍♀️

Advertisement