Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,782 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Just on this purchase. I bought it via sales corner over on TZ-UK and blown by 2 things.

1. The seller had them in the post to me before the funds hit his account. It was paid via BACS transfer. We'd agreed the price, he sent over his details, I sent the shipping address not expecting it to be posted until today as it was after 4pm.

The warm glow that comes from a seller trusting me...

Is nice 💯🤣

2. The speed of delivery! It was in the last pickup from a post office in Shropshire and was on the mat in Kilkeel at 10am.

Lovely watch and enjoy the day out. I'm looking forward to a romo through the IWM and Duxford as and when the Mrs decides she needs a trip to London 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭jefferson73

Just at Rolex Heathrow at the moment, they have a sky dweller and an Air king 40 available for purchase right now. That’s the lot unfortunately.

Post edited by jefferson73 on

I'm seeing quite a bit of availability for Skydwellers in the UK.

A lovely watch but one that after the last round of price rises is a tad out of my price range.(I mean even further out of course 😉)

I'd forgotten I'd backed the Monro Adventure Kickstarter so it was a surprise when I'd gotten the campaign successful message.

I've gone for the Black/Green MA4 version and I'm looking forward to getting hands on with it now.

Backers are also entered into a draw for 1 of 3 Red versions. If the Red was for sale, I'd have bought it! So fingers crossed 😁

KS price was £215 Inc shipping. Let's hope they are declaring EU vat 😁 or I'll need to have €50 handy when it lands.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Very good, I went for the Arctic White version.

I did ask them about customs and we will get stung all right, not sure if they would knock off the UK VAT....

The White silicone Sinn strap arrived today so I think I'm sorted for Arctic White 🤣

The Sinn Butterfly clasp is quite decent too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Love the white strap, white dial combo! Perfect for winter.

Haven't been around here much in the last few months, but thought I'd pop back in and say hello.

Thanks 😁 The Mrs thinks it makes the watch look like a toy 🫤 I'm more thinking an ice cream sandwich.

The strap basically came for free with the clasp and Ingot it for an absolute steal so I'm happy out.

Loving the lume on that Seiko.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Sure you have enough serious watches in your collection at this point! Good to have something different. And white on white is definitely not something that you see often.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭danfrancisco83

Kenneth Cole watch I bought in New York about 17 years ago.

Is that a perpetual calender? Nice watch and one I've not seen before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭danfrancisco83

I'm not sure to be honest, I paid about $200 for it so probably not. It's a lovely looking watch, had black nylon straps originally.

Someone just called my black & white Sinn a Stormtrooper, and all I can think of now is how it'll never be a hit😁

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Took a trip into the Portobello street market in London today. One of the guys from the Birmingham watch fair had a stall and picked up this

Straight away was thinking of Wibbs! Modern version from I believe the 2000s that uses an ETA quartz chronograph movement. Bit of an impulse buy but for £150, think I did okay.

Some pilots watches also there but definitely out of my price range

Hope everyone is doing well. First watch purchase in a good while, still studying away for the WOSTEP school next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,323 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I'm keeping the hour.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Can't go wrong for 150 quid! 🙂 I think they're from the 90's? Those Mach 2000's are much more wearable imho than the 70's ones and to my eyes actually look more 80/90's anyway. His older brother still disco dancing with creaky knees wearing loon pants says hello. 😋

Winter/summer changes are a bit of a pain when you have a few quartz/leccy watches... Though some have a handy hour change without stopping the watch feature.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Some sweet Ripley-in-Alien-esque looking pieces guys:)

Water temps are dropping nicely indeed!

9c today.

No picture as it only dawned on me afterwards I should've taken a few, but!

I had a very lucky escape (Or rather my son did) with my Astronaut. I've mentioned before that he has hijacked that one. Anyway, he was wearing it at work yesterday and a combo of a 60y.o spring bar and his waving his hands led to one of the coffin links separating front from back and the spring bar disintegrating.

Watch dropped and the parts of collapsed went 2 different directions. Luckily he found both parts of the link and what was left of the spring bar tube.

It looks as if the original spring bar was copper alloy, that it oxidised, and that added volume behind the link popped it front from back and then the bar failed.

Happy to report it went back together perfectly, no new dings on the watch. I've also learned a bit more about how to fettle the bracelet.

The kid was worried he was going to get shouted at and a repair bill 😉 When in fairness, it was going to happen whoever was wearing it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Hang on, he nearly broke my watch? I'll be having words Sir!. 😂 Those Accutrons are remarkably robust. Sure sign of that; no shock protection was required. Sounds like original or old skool springbars. These days anything vaguely of quality are stainless steel, but back in the day copper alloys and the like were common. I've often gotten in vintage watches where there's the oul verdigris around the springbar area. A hint for me to swap 'em out for new.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

He nearly had a stroke when he thought he'd broken it, particularly as he knows the extra value the coffin link bracelet has. He suffered enough 🤣 I'll let him know he's lucky he didn't break it or he'd have been dealing with you.

Yeah the copper alloy was news to me and sure given how little I know about watches that's hardly surprising. Luckily the Astronaut is the only vintage piece I have and I took the opportunity to check the other spring bars and they are all ok. I'd swapped the ones in the shoulders and in the clasp not long after I got it, just completely missed the one that failed.

Post edited by banie01 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Greg81

Seiko Presage. Another day in the office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

I bought a classic case Sturmanskie, and while the dial is gorgeous, I couldn't get on with the case.

Did a bit of trawling and found a donor case and now I love this...

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

Lovely watch. Apologies if already covered but can these be now bought in Ireland at retail?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Nope, the Moonswatch are only available in select Swatch stores, closest one would be London. And stores generally only have a few versions at a time and they are still selling well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭rx8

There's a few on Adverts. I sold mine there. There's not much of a mark-up, if any on them. To be honest I was very disappointed in the one I got, the Yellow mission to the Sun, so I moved it on straight away.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Your common or garden everyday desk diver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

@artanevilla Can't beat an SKX!

An icon.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

Have an 013 which is lovely, her bigger brothers are crazy money

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I think the color you get it in has a lot to do with the wear-ability of the watch. I got the Mission to Mercury a few weeks ago in Amsterdam and I didn't expect to wear it as much as I have but since getting it, I have been consistently wearing it and have somewhat neglected my Seamaster 300. Had it been one of the louder colors, there is no doubt that I would have only worn it occasionally but this more subdued color works great for me.

For what it is, I like it and it has been the topic of conversation a few times with fellow watch enthusiasts while here in Malaysia. It appears to be a hard to get item here at the moment so a lot of folks have only seen them online.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,986 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Flying back through Narita airport in Tokyo today and thought it might be a good time to pick up a Seiko Presage on a whim with the great euro to yen conversion rate.

Came to a nice low price of 265 euro. Bit of a steal.

When my missus saw it she instantly fell in love with the blue dial and wanted one. We were boarding in ten minutes and the shop was at least a 20 minute walk. Thought of maybe picking one up for her in Abu Dhabi instead during the transfer but had a look at their website the shops were looking for 450 euro. So unfortunately it wasnt to be.

I went on a quick hunt at the terminal in Narita before we left Japan for a shop to spend some of my last yen on snacks and amazingly found another shop selling Seikos.

Arrived back with a second one.

Almost missed out boarding time but totally worth the stress, they're gorgeous.

Just have to get them off those hideous bracelets now and on to some nice leather!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Be quite ironic to miss your flight time because you were buying a watch.

Advertisement