Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,318 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Would you have a link to the big one?

https://bestwallclock.com/shop/rolex/

Cost me €130 all-in, including shipping. It did not get intercepted by customs. Not cheap by any means for a Chinese watch (no offense Thirdfox :pac:) but it looks cool and the sweeping seconds hand really makes it. Chuffed to bits that I now have the matching wrist watch too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

unkel wrote: »
    Cost me €130 all-in, including shipping. It did not get intercepted by customs. Not cheap by any means for a Chinese watch (no offense Thirdfox :pac:) but it looks cool and the sweeping seconds hand really makes it. Chuffed to bits that I now have the matching wrist watch too :)

Chinese clock you mean :D - it could well have a Seiko movement in it though :pac:

A quick Aliexpress search throws up a few hits - (you might wince Unkel - though I know I've been waiting months for some Aliexpress non-watch stuff to come through):

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001933359091.html
    €49.97 including shipping

I find it funny that the AP clock is more expensive than the Rolex clock :pac:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001692268661.html
    €83.85 including shipping

But for a really cool clock - just wait to see what I've got in the post from the US...

In fairness, they look brutal. The first one isn't even pretending to be a real Rolex :p

Pretty sure they photoshopped out the logo and name to comply with Aliexpress rules. If you order from them I presume they will be shipping out the named/branded clock to you ;)

Though we’re kinda verging into discussion on “fakes” (not that people will confuse a clock with a watch - but it still is trademark infringement definitely)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

blue5000 wrote: »
    Njb, wtf is a shoeman sho?:confused::confused::confused: Great story though. Would like to hear a few more sometime.

English pronunciation of one of the few japanese words I know, a purchase order, ah the celtic tiger.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

Sinn do what must surely be the ultimate clock. Radio controlled, sweeping seconds hand. Around the €300 mark. Can't imagine most of us would be allowed have it in the kitchen but great for the mancave.

xAnalogue-radio---controlled-wall-clock_V.jpg.pagespeed.ic.XQPx4GKeY6.jpg
    dcf8a183-3c65-43da-9188-67373777ddc0-jpeg.12650645

46 Long wrote: »
    great for the mancave.

I'm being booted out of my office in the attic to free up a bedroom for one of the kids. Have organised the erection of a large mancave in the garden, but that won't happen for another few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

I could do with a nice clock for the office. Must look into that Sinn one :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

hitemfrank wrote: »
    I could do with a nice clock for the office. Must look into that Sinn one :cool:

Great idea. Use the bezel to time the lunch breaks :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

I’m not sure they sell them any more. I looked for one about a year ago and couldn’t get one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

njburke wrote: »
    English pronunciation of one of the few japanese words I know, a purchase order, ah the celtic tiger.

I remember 'mushy mushy' for answering the telephone. Was part of a crew who took delivery of a ship from a Hokkaido dockyard back in the 70s. Of course there was also 'harry gateaux'.

I’m not sure they sell them any more. I looked for one about a year ago and couldn’t get one.

Well that's a shame.

Maybe I'll look at a Mondaine Stop2Go instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭micks_address

Well that's a shame.

Same would have tried to source one. My black Batman cave would have worked perfectly with it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Wibbs wrote: »
    In that model there's more than a touch of Omega to the case design too. For me it's the "Lexus factor" in that too many of their designs ape the Swiss, so why not buy Swiss? kinda thing. On the car comparison, something like the Civic Type R though having a very narrow appeal market is unmistakably Japanese. Same for something like 90's Nissan Skylines. Blew the doors off European competitors at the time and were popular for it and going crazy in values since. If Seiko said feck it and were confident in going full Japanese they'd be the better for it IMHO>

The Snowflake would be the exception for me. It's its own watch as it were.

But why can't everyone like the exact same stuff? You're explication makes no sense. Everyone should be aiming for a green sub and like it
    /s

This has been done to death at this stage, it comes down to the same simple thing: people like different things and prioritise different features.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

unkel wrote: »
    Have organised the erection.

Tell me about it man, you get to an age where you have to plan these things
    Cienciano wrote: »

This has been done to death at this stage, it comes down to the same simple thing: people like different things and prioritise different features.

You are correct of course, but there is a certain hype with Grand Seiko, and a focus (pun intended) on the macro details. The more gross design and impression has left me underwhelmed in person with these watches. Its worth saying that I would not recommend anyone buys one sight unseen, need to be tried on to judge the case, clasp and overall impression. I dont think there is anyone out there would question the level of detail under magnification, I know a number of collectors with vastly differing tastes to my own that share my reservations.

Dont know what I am going to do with this one....very nice watch and I do like an Omega, bought off adverts from a guy I dealt with before, always great condition and reasonable prices. This to me is the best dial colour strap combo on these. This is me pretending to be on holidays in front of a computer screen.

PXL-20201231-120058872234523453245.jpg

According to the date i had to change from today, the Ball hasn't been worn since mid November. Today is as good a day as any to give it some wrist time.

IMG-20201231-120615.jpg

I still need to dial in the lume shots for this one. Night mode on the phone is hit or miss.

IMG-20201231-115429.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭banie01

According to the date i had to change from today, the Ball hasn't been worn since mid November. Today is as good a day as any to give it some wrist time.

I still need to dial in the lume shots for this one. Night mode on the phone is hit or miss.

That is really a lovely watch, Ball are another brand that catch my eye in very much an I want one way.
    Everytime I see one, I'm intrigued and a ball aero-GMT is one that's on my list.
    But.
    I keep finding myself buying other watches.
    I need to try one on before I chance taking the plunge.

banie01 wrote: »
    That is really a lovely watch, Ball are another brand that catch my eye in very much an I want one way.
    Everytime I see one, I'm intrigued and a ball aero-GMT is one that's on my list.
    But.

I love the look of a lot of the ball watches but the logo and name puts me off for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 26,566 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Fitz II wrote: »
    Dont know what I am going to do with this one....very nice watch and I do like an Omega, bought off adverts from a guy I dealt with before, always great condition and reasonable prices. This to me is the best dial colour strap combo on these. This is me pretending to be on holidays in front of a computer screen.

I love the new seamasters with the ZrO2 dials. The white dial/black bezel one is really growing on me, spotted it in weirs the other week. I wish I could part with my 2006 seamaster to help part find my next watch.

• Advertisement

banie01 wrote: »
    But.

The crown guards on those Aero GMT make it look really big to me. It's a 42mm case so would be big on me without then anyway.

There are a few of the other lines I'm keeping an eye on but the ones I'm looking at don't come up on Chrono24 much and don't really want to pay full retail for them.

I love the look of a lot of the ball watches but the logo and name puts me off for some reason

The casio oceANUS gets me. If I get one I'll need to learn to pronounce it so it doesn't sound like a sphincter. Or maybe just completely own it and call it "the anus".

Cienciano wrote: »
    The casio oceANUS gets me. If I get one I'll need to learn to pronounce it so it doesn't sound like a sphincter. Or maybe just completely own it and call it "the anus".

I think a certain ex forum member, king of the internet and pal of mine, will copyright strike you if you use the "Anus" suffix

I love the new seamasters with the ZrO2 dials. The white dial/black bezel one is really growing on me, spotted it in weirs the other week. I wish I could part with my 2006 seamaster to help part find my next watch.

What’s your 2006 seamaster? Automatic?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I think a certain ex forum member, king of the internet and pal of mine, will copyright strike you if you use the "Anus" suffix

Still waiting for my mcmANUS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭redlead

Tell me about it man, you get to an age where you have to plan these things

Two things, firstly, that's the second time this week you've actually made me legitimately LOL. Bravo

Secondly, you must be the only man on here that has Omega planet oceans/seamasters stuck in the back of a cupboard that you've half forgotten about haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭893bet

Birneybau wrote: »
    Still waiting for my mcmANUS

Said every Kickstarter backer!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,566 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

What’s your 2006 seamaster? Automatic?

Yup obligatory image attached

attachment.php?attachmentid=537774&d=1609421740

Speaking of macro details here are some of my Speedmaster - taken actually for Sólás (in order to explain to people that at 20-40x life size magnification almost anything (with exception of Grand Seiko/Credor ;) ) has "blemishes" - but they look absolutely fine to the eye).

So here's the speedmaster broadarrow up close (which did better than I expected to be honest):

e8JQbBUh.jpg
    Normal size

joh0AwZh.jpg
    Printing is good - and the blued hands are nicely done (not zaratsu smooth of course...but this is probably around 20x mag now)

T5RFFXih.jpg

YkoX5hXh.jpg
    Some dust on the indices but really it's fine

vvH0Ke4h.jpg
    Some more here - but I'm absolutely fine with this - this isn't visible to the eye and very very few people look at 40x mag.

^ These photos will be used to pre-empt people looking at the Starlight's blued screws and thinking "omg the screw looks appalling at 40x magnification in a 3-400 euro watch" - hopefully giving people some perspective on what ultra-macro photography will reveal about any watch - Chinese/Japanese or Swiss.

• Advertisement

I forgot about him. Careful, I heard if you said his name 3 times he appears and tries to sell you a modified vostok

Advertisement