Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭covey123

My absolute beater after an early morning surf in Achill.

This thing has been hammered over the years,still going strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I missed this being released towards the end of March. I usually keep a weather eye on the Sinn spring novelties but, completely missed them this year.

1 that does jump out is a new limited edition of the Sinn 155 Dark Star revolution. This one combines a new Tegimented case and an updated dial design compared to the original edition a few years ago.

I spent years lusting after a Bund but, I settled for the HKeD version a few years back and I just didn't gel with it style wise. The new version is nice, but IMO? Its far from €3.5k nice.

The rest of the Sinn novelties are here, the commerzbank does stand out but, again overpriced.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

3 and half K? Ah jaysus B, you'll get an original one for that, or near that. As for the all too usual watch marketing spin…🤥😁

Before we get into the details on the new release, an introduction to the 155 is probably in order to fully contextualize the limited edition. Beginning in 1967, the 155 Bundeswehr chronograph was made exclusively for the West German Federal Defense Force. Beginning in the 1980s, Helmut Sinn began selling issued Bundeswehr watches that had been decommissioned under his own brand name.

First it was a 1550(1551 for the sidereal version). And they try to imply without actually saying it that it was "made exclusively for the West German Federal Defense Force"* by Sinn. Funny how they don't mention Heuer…

Then again, it wasn't really a Heuer either, but a Leonidas design that Heuer bought in originally issued to the Italian military, based on two reg flyback chronos for pilots that had a history going back to the 1940s. It's quite different in look, size, construction and operation to other Heuer watches of the time. The oddball case is actually a 1930's design.

In the late 70's Sinn got the maintenance contract to service the German examples and when the military were selling them off in the late 80's/early 90's they got that gig too. The vast majority were sold as Heuer, not Sinn. Sinn dialed examples are extremely rare, and I suspect many are much later than the 80's(not unlike many of the red (3H) dials). A goodly percentage of the Sinn sell offs even had their original tritium dials replaced by new non radioactive lume dials maybe to make them more saleable(or to make up "new" watches from their parts stores), but they retained the Heuer branding.

This new one is nice enough I suppose, the sapphire a nice touch, but it's not a flyback and that's the main event for such military pilot's watches. The Longines Spirit Flyback would be more "authentic" and with a finer movement. Pity it's got the dimensions of a hockey puck.

*it wasn't; both Yugoslavia and Norway got them, as well as a few "civilian" pieces that sneaked out in the very early days.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

So, samurai number four.

I’m willing to admit I might have a problem…

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Love that Sinn. But then, I love most Sinns!

Weirdly I actually had someone complement my U50 at a bar a few weeks ago. Really wasn't expecting someone to recognise it. Then after a chat it turned out he was a Sinn fan and wearing a 104! So I guess that there are few of us Sinn fans out there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I still maintain my long held position(and excusing their marketing stuff above😜) that if I was in the market for a new watch; Sinn would be pretty much top of the list. I've advised a few watch muggles looking for a Nice Watch™ that isn't one of the obvious names in Sinn's direction too. In the hand they're very nicely finished. More than pics get across if you know what I mean. Very well bolted together too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

There is a lot of Sinn love in here and being relatively new to the area I was completely unaware of them.

Must do a bit of reading/shopping.

I assume they are not something I'd see in a shop here?

I'm probably one of their biggest fans. If you're ever around Limerick and want to try a few on or handle them? Feel free to give me a shout, I currently have 4 and there are a couple of their rarer bits tempting me at the mo too.

As far as I know there's no Irish AD (non listed anyway) but there are a few UK based ones, not that they're anymore convenient.

Much like Wibbs opinion, their combo of quality, distinctive design and rock solid quality make them a great shout IMO. They are starting to follow the herd and raise prices. I'd still rate them decent value compared to their swiss competitors in the Tudor/Omega segment though, on a bang for buck basis they are very competitive against the mid tier swiss brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

I really need to get around to actually trying to put money aside for the 105 that I want.

Or maybe the U50SL. Or maybe the 104.

I've a 104, a 103 variant and 2 U2 variants (3 if swapping bezels counts🤣) that you can run over your wrist should you ever be down my way. The 105 is a lovely piece IMO, particularly the GMT version.

• Advertisement

The follow on from the Monro Adventure has entered it's pre-release promo phase. Very much a Tudor-esque/Blackbay style watch in a 41mm case and continuing what I hope becomes a staple for them, the bevelled coin edge bezel and their rubber NATO strap ala the adventure.

No word yet on pricing, but IMO? If their KS pricing here is similar to the Adventure launch price? It should be quite decent value.

https://www.monrodesignstudio.com/so/ddOyAWp00/c?w=hoKUsGm5xPFQOXC7n02r37rzdicMhSFtz62tUz2S9Oc.eyJ1IjoiaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cua2lja3N0YXJ0ZXIuY29tL3Byb2plY3RzL21vbnJvYWR2ZW50dXJld2F0Y2gvbW9ucm8tb2NlYW4tYWR2ZW50dXJlLTIwMG0tYXV0b21hdGljLWRpdmUtd2F0Y2gtY29sbGVjdGlvbiIsInIiOiJiMDEwNmYxMC1iZjM0LTRmODktOTI4MS0xYjM2NGI2NjgxMDgiLCJtIjoibWFpbCIsImMiOiIxM2ViYzRhNC04MzhmLTQzNTAtYmFjNy1kNmZlNTc4MjIzZmIifQ

More Lip than a Mick Jagger lookalike competition. 😁

Clockwise from top; 1968 Nautic-Ski, '75 Dugena/Lip Mach2000 Roger Tallon for the German market, '75 Lip Rudi Meyer, '72 Lip Sportville and a '74 Lip Roger Tallon.

Interestingly the new fangled quartz were nearly 1000 francs, but the Meyers were half that, even though the latter has a much more complex assembly, with its bolted together case, complex crystal and superior sealing, even the chapter ring is machined alloy.

Shows how much the new quartz tech cost at that stage. The Nautic-Ski were always higher priced too. I suspect because they had to buy in the Super-Compressor cases which weren't cheap.

This one is 34mm, but 12mm thick and with a 20mm band so wears larger. Runs Lip/ESA's electronic women's movement, though was marketed to men at the time. It's high beat so pretty accurate and very easy to read. Kinda like a French Bell & Ross 20 years earlier.

Lip in the 70's and in their dying days(though these designer watches sold well it was too late) predicted things like the later Swatch and Fossil etc designer/fashion watches(though far better made). Even the 80's Seiko designed by Giorgetto Giugiaro and worn by Ripley in the Alien franchise owes a little to Tallon's Mach2000.

Great post Wibbs, a lovely selection there and LiP may want to have a check on B&R and try squeeze out a royalty fee or 2 😉

The other name for that square watch was "Instrument" so I suspect he was channeling some flight instrument vibes.

I do have a real soft spot for the Lip brand,🤭 particularly their 60's and 70's stuff. They really pushed the boat out. No doubt they could also have a word in Swatch's earhole.. From 1974:

They had so many lines though and though they had some plastic going on, most of the time it was steel or alloy that looked like plastic, so was more expensive to produce and sell, kinda defeating the purpose. No wonder they went bankrupt.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Ian OB

Like myself, this watch 1st saw the light of day in May 78.

One of us has aged better & we'll leave it at that 🥳😁🥳

Lovely Ian, Happy Birthday! And well wear on a proper birth year watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭jefferson73

Lets kick Saturday off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭micks_address

Nice Seiko, what model is it?

I believe it's SCEB001 Spirit Smart

• Registered Users Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭Treppen

Casio edifice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Godsend on a hot day:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭H_Lime

What a cool piece, 7t94 I read, love the date at 9! Case shape very reminiscent of c case 70's chrono and 6105 8000 slim turtle, speaking of which...

The above clasp is the same as your marine masters. I found the six o'clock joining side to the bracelet needed careful rounding of edges to wear it without it being uncomfortable when extended.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭covey123

• Registered Users Posts: 20,057 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

sd43 for the weekend

I know they are a little thicker, but to my eye? They are a far better proportioned watch than the sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭scwazrh

pics don’t do this watch justice but direct sunlight while on the wrist does . between the fluted bezel sparkle , the jubilee shine and the sunburst dial . It’s made for the sunny weather

That watch really does catch the eye. Is the bezel on that white gold? They really do sparkle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭scwazrh

yes , white gold bezel- much creamier look than the steel when in the right light but looks like steel most of the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,057 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

at the time sd43 was the same to buy as a sub with the premium on the Sub, it was a no Brainer for me at least and haven't regretted it!

Advertisement